Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

trickx

HSC
Well I didn't write it, it isn't my arguement, but despite that, I don't see any flaws in it's reasoning.

Exactly how is evolution a "fact"?
undoubtedly from a creationist website.

what frustrates me about this debate is that this isnt even philosophy or theology, where everyone has the same and equal right to speculate about the nature of metaphysics. this is science.

and if you have no qualifications in this field, formal or otherwise .. you do not have the right to take it on. its as simple as that.

the arrogance to think you and your creationist pals have found problems with the single most successful scientific theory that has been overlooked in scientific academia for 150 years is just breathtaking.

Last edited:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
undoubtedly from a creationist website.

what frustrates me about this debate is that this isnt even philosophy or theology, where everyone has the same and equal right to speculate about the nature of metaphysics. this is science.

and if you have no qualifications in this field, formal or otherwise .. you do not have the right to take it on. its as simple as that.

the arrogance to think you and your creationist pals have found problems with the single most successful scientific theory that has been overlooked in scientific academia for 150 years is just breathtaking.
as a soon-to-be biologist/biology teacher i actually find arguing against creationism amusing, as long as the other person is open to accepting the points u make

also, i posted that shit on richard dawkins forums for LULZ

RichardDawkins.net Forum • View topic - The theory of evolution is not scientific.

and they were delivered

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I don't like to be hatin' too much, but it seems like Name_taken is a reasonably smart guy, and he could easily have found texts explaining the evidence for and reality of evolution without much effort.

It's either willful disbelief (which is odd, because I believe he's a catholic, and they accept scientific research), a failure of comprehension, or laziness.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
I don't like to be hatin' too much, but it seems like Name_taken is a reasonably smart guy, and he could easily have found texts explaining the evidence for and reality of evolution without much effort.

It's either willful disbelief (which is odd, because I believe he's a catholic, and they accept scientific research), a failure of comprehension, or laziness.
doubt most ppl spend much time thinking about evolution

u'd just accept something if it generally agreed with what u otherwise thought about god etc.

Titburger

HSC
as a soon-to-be biologist/biology teacher i actually find arguing against creationism amusing, as long as the other person is open to accepting the points u make

also, i posted that shit on richard dawkins forums for LULZ

RichardDawkins.net Forum • View topic - The theory of evolution is not scientific.

and they were delivered
Starting looking through that site and found this

RichardDawkins.net Forum • View topic - CREATIONISTS-READ THIS

I suggest Name_Taken and other creationists read it before attempting to refute evolution

trickx

HSC

Name_Taken

HSC
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAH

you make a terrific troll .. omgawd .. HAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHAHAHA
Sad because a forum which prides itself on the clear and critical thinking ability of its users, could not notice that a person called "I_LOVE_JESUS" (with a grand total of 2 posts) posting what suspiciously looks like it may have simply been copied and pasted; into a forum entitled "Creationsism Debunked" was an obvious troll...

Titburger

HSC
Sad because a forum which prides itself on the clear and critical thinking ability of its users, could not notice that a person called "I_LOVE_JESUS" (with a grand total of 2 posts) posting what suspiciously looks like it may have simply been copied and pasted; into a forum entitled "Creationsism Debunked" was an obvious troll...
Because creationists are usually that stupid

nikolas

HSC
...a person called "I_LOVE_JESUS" (with a grand total of 2 posts) posting what suspiciously looks like it may have simply been copied and pasted; into a forum entitled "Creationsism Debunked"...
In other words he blended in perfectly with most creationists.

Sighduck

HSC
- Evolution is a fact & a theory. A 'fact' is just something you can observe. For example, all objects tend to fall towards the centre of the Earth. The Theory of Gravity attempts to explain why this happens. The current best theory of gravity in science is Einstein's General Relativity. A theory is a set of scientifcally supported explanations for the facts observed. Gravity is a fact as well as a theory, so is evolution.
when was evolution been observed.... personally i have not seen any species transform into other species, adaptation on the other hand has been observed.

adaptation and evolution are different on the basis that adaptation is the changing of a species to handle it's environment, while evolution is when a species changes into an entirely different species

Name_Taken

HSC
when was evolution been observed.... personally i have not seen any species transform into other species, adaptation on the other hand has been observed.

adaptation and evolution are different on the basis that adaptation is the changing of a species to handle it's environment, while evolution is when a species changes into an entirely different species
And its another issue altogether whether a single cell (such as what the "first" living things apparently were) can "evolve" into a multicellular organism, how does that work?

Like its one thing for a cell to evolve over millions of year etc, into a different cell, but it is a different issue altogether as to how they evolved into more complex organisms. One cell cannot mutate into a blog of 5 cells, all dependant on each other for survival and working together as a seperate organism.

Last edited:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC

yeah sure we can all just make up our own definitions

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

sigh.

nikolas

HSC

Observed instances of Speciation

[B said:
Name_Taken[/b]] And its another issue altogether whether a single cell (such as what the "first" living things apparently were) can "evolve" into a multicellular organism, how does that work?

Like its one thing for a cell to evolve over millions of year etc, into a different cell, but it is a different issue altogether as to how they evolved into more complex organisms. One cell cannot mutate into a blog of 5 cells, all dependant on each other for survival and working together as a seperate organism.
I'm no biologist so i don't know the specifics but there should be heaps of info out there on the net.

My own quick search reveals.

Evolution of Multicellularity

Also...

TalkOrigins said:
The transition to multicellularity has been studied in experiments with Pseudomonas fluorescens, which showed that "transitions to higher orders of complexity are readily achievable" (Rainey and Rainey 2003, 72). Choanoflagellates, which are unicellular and colonial organisms related to multicelled animals, express several proteins similar to those used in cell interactions, showing that such proteins could arise in single-celled animals and be co-opted for multicellular development (King et al. 2003).
CB922: Intermediate two-celled life

...And from what I understand, recently they even managed to get some Choanoflagellates to actually take the step into Mulitcellularity in a Laboratory.

For you own benefit, this list should answer most questions you have

TalkOrigins

It might be slightly out of date now but most of it should still be good.

rofl @ sig nikolas.

haven't seen u here in a while.
Sup man

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
didn't click, but is that the experiment where the unicellular algae became multicellular in response to predation? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)