Down syndrome and HSC (1 Viewer)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I have a classmate who has Down Syndrome, and she is doing the HSC with the aim of getting above 70 UAI/ATAR. Many teachers are urging her to drop out of school. Her marks are decent for someone with Down Syndrome; she is around 5% below average for every subject. Recently, the Deputy Principal has told her that she is going to drag our school's ranking down and that he is going to hold an interview with her parents to make her drop out.

I find this very unfair, as there are many students in the class with marks below her. She is a very hardworking girl.

Should she drop out? To what extent will Down Syndrome affect her HSC? Does it really matter?

pillar

HSC
How much of this do you know for a fact...? Like is it just what you've heard from friends or something? Or did you actually hear from the deputy principal himself that she is gonna be kicked out as she's dragging the ranking down?

Because it's pretty bad if the principal is actually asking her to drop out purely based on results, especially as there's probably kids below her from what you've said.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It sounds like basic discrimination to me if what you said is true.

She shouldn't drop out at all - there would be plenty of people doing worse than she is. So what if Down Syndrom affects her HSC? She should stay if she wishes to get her HSC and no one should stop her.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I heard it from friends; dunno if its true... But does down syndrome really have an enormous effect on an individual's intelligence, regardless of how hard they work?

edit: yes, it is discrimination! she did say that she was going to go to TAFe instead.

pillar

HSC
I seriously doubt she'll be asked to leave based only on the fact that she might pull the school ranking down a tiny tiny bit. Pretty terrible principal if she is.

Probably some of what you heard is true but some details got bullshitted along the way.

kwabon

Banned
HSC
I have a classmate who has Down Syndrome, and she is doing the HSC with the aim of getting above 70 UAI/ATAR. Many teachers are urging her to drop out of school. Her marks are decent for someone with Down Syndrome; she is around 5% below average for every subject. Recently, the Deputy Principal has told her that she is going to drag our school's ranking down and that he is going to hold an interview with her parents to make her drop out.

I find this very unfair, as there are many students in the class with marks below her. She is a very hardworking girl.

Should she drop out? To what extent will Down Syndrome affect her HSC? Does it really matter?

your deputy principle is a nut.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I have Down Syndrome and I have dreams of a 99+ UAI. I'm on 98.85 right now. It's possible.

Actually I don't have Down Syndrome, but I know of people that do and have still gotten a UAI of 80+, so it's doable. Down's doesn't mean you're dumb, jsut means you struggle to learn. Downies that try hard can still learn and beat non-downies.

TBK11

HSC
schools cant make u drop out of school, if your completing all set work, doing exams, assessments and turning up to school on regular bases nothing can happen

Last edited:

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
If she can get 70+ at the end of the HSC she'll have beaten most of my year im anticipating.

cassieagill

HSC
If she wants do it she should go for it!

it's discrimination for them to force her to leave school, and he should not pressure her into doing it either...5% below average is not even failing is it?

K

khorne

I don't think it's because of the mark dragging down...I think the principal is more concerned about the extra care needed to accomodate down syndrome.

brad616

HSC
i have a classmate who has down syndrome, and she is doing the hsc with the aim of getting above 70 uai/atar. Many teachers are urging her to drop out of school. Her marks are decent for someone with down syndrome; she is around 5% below average for every subject. Recently, the deputy principal has told her that she is going to drag our school's ranking down and that he is going to hold an interview with her parents to make her drop out.

Should she drop out? To what extent will down syndrome affect her hsc? Does it really matter?
thats extremely unfair she should stay and aim to get above 70 uai/atar which is excellent given her condition.

random-1005

Banned
HSC

Stupid bloody private schools, all they care about is the school ranking and how much money you have..... snobs!. these rich people need to step back into reality, away from their mansions and limos.

K

khorne

I love the amount of people, who without knowing the circumstances of the issue, for ill-witted opinions. Do you know her condition? The reasons they would consider this, or even IF it is happening?

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
I love the amount of people, who without knowing the circumstances of the issue, for ill-witted opinions. Do you know her condition? The reasons they would consider this, or even IF it is happening?
Wait a sec, you did the exact same thing by guessing the principal's motivation.

Also, there is nothing wrong with people having opinions with a situation like this and assuming that it is has occurred the way the OP says.

1bpcsmem

HSC

If she does get over an ATAR of 70, what an inspiration she would be!
I say go for it! Don't worry about other's perspective!

jules.09

HSC
Down syndrome and aiming for a 70+ ATAR; wow. I know a lot of people who don't have any intellectual disabilities and their ATAR is <70.

If the principal's actions/motivations are based on her academic performance, that's just sheer discrimination. I find that unlikely though. Anyway, there are people who do badly in any school, and scaling isn't adverse, because they're considered outliers.

Is the school a government school or a private?

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
Case of discrimination depending on any school, i m guess private.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I heard it from friends; dunno if its true... But does down syndrome really have an enormous effect on an individual's intelligence, regardless of how hard they work?

edit: yes, it is discrimination! she did say that she was going to go to TAFe instead.
Is this a serious question?

Do you know what Down Syndrome is? You do realise it causes mental retardation and learning difficulties, right? So yes, the Down Syndrome really does have an enormous effect on their intelligence.
Individuals with Down syndrome tend to have a lower than average cognitive ability, often ranging from mild to moderate developmental disabilities. A small number have severe to profound mental disability.
So if she is 5% less than the class, she must have a mild case of Down Syndrome, because otherwise it's just not possible to maintain those marks at that grade with a severe case of Down Syndrome.

But well done to her.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)