Excel Guides (1 Viewer)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Oh no, the Ms The Lady is official.

But in regard to the topic, I think Excel is good as purely study guides. They should not and I emphasise should not be used a core textbooks as they are far too brief. They are essentially for last minute revision. Better off sticking with a good solid 500 page textbook :eek:
+1

I got given excel guides for bio and chem. I have barely looked at the bio ones (except revise in a month when i had to sit on a train and wanted something to do) the chem excel i use to complement my textbook ( i use it to see "dumb" version to make it easier for me to understand) but i love the chemistry pocket book, i use it all the time.

if people want a study guide for english the only thing that is decent is the MacQuire module ones but i don't know if the knew ones are out yet.

dp624

HSC
Why use Excel study guides when making your own notes is so much more effective?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
0hNivlek said:
That's what our legal teacher said too!
I thought it was ok, better than the prescribed textbook, but still waay too general in certain areas.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
dp624 said:
Why use Excel study guides when making your own notes is so much more effective?
I agree, i always found my own notes from class far more useful, but study guides can be good as a reference.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Excel revision books and study guides?

Hi,

Going into year 12 next year and I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on the Excel workbooks you can get (study guides, revision booklets, practice exam questions, past HSC papers etc)?

I've been considering forcing my parents to buy me a stack for each of my subjects, but they cost a fair bit so I was wondering if it were worth it? What are your experiences with them?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Re: Excel revision books and study guides?

I've borrowed a couple from the library. They aren't that good, actually. You can't just rely on study guides to get you the good mark. You must make your own notes and essays.

muscleman09

HSC

I've borrowed a couple from the library. They aren't that good, actually. You can't just rely on study guides to get you the good mark. You must make your own notes and essays.

dont listen to the above post.... the more study guides you buy, the higher your atar!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

Excel textbooks/study guides aren't too shabby. I love the Physics and Maths ones (maths is alright... but eh, its personal).

It's good to try to get a variety of different textbooks.

carlytse621

HSC

I like the excel one for texts in area of study (new!), but not for the rest of the subjects...
I perfer KISS for science (keep it simple science), u have to get it from teacher or buy from internet
study guide is not as helpful as textbk anyway~

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC

Excel books for physics and chem are great (these are the full course summaries im talking about). They have heaps of practice questions with anwers as well.
JACARANDA PHYSICS 2 + EXCEL + DOT POINTS = a good combo for me so far this year.
I've used mixture of all 3 to make my notes.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad

i prefer using Macquarie for business studies & modern history.

excel's 2u maths is ok, legal studies & modern history is pretty good, adv english good enough

Uncle

Banned
HSC

Excel textbooks/study guides aren't too shabby. I love the Physics and Maths ones (maths is alright... but eh, its personal).

It's good to try to get a variety of different textbooks.
Agreed.
The ones for physics and maths were very good.
So was IPT.
You may want to think twice about buying the ones for English and Chemistry, but then again they cost much less than paying tutors on a regular basis.

HSC

Agreed.
The ones for physics and maths were very good.
So was IPT.
You may want to think twice about buying the ones for English and Chemistry, but then again they cost much less than paying tutors on a regular basis.
Agreed.

sickk

HSC

macquarie > exel anyday for hummanities. business studies macquarie is awesome, ancient history in the macquarie series is one book, whereas excel is two.
and even for biology, macquarie > excel by far!

but its personal opinion

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC

Well, my perspective.

Excel books are simply fantastic !

I have Chemistry, Physics, Ex 1 Maths! Omgsh ! They are simply the best! I would have not been as successful if it wasn't for the Excels. If you complement them with your textbook, you've got such a great value of information.

Chemistry is great! It offers great information, and the practicals are simply awsome!

Physics is another great excel book. Loads of information, great questions and explanations, but sometimes it is too brief. That's why you have to complement. I love the way the author box's the important parts of the book. It really makes you remember them

Maths Ex 1 is GOLD!! The explanations are great! They really kno what they're talking about

EDIT: Oh yeh, my school uses Excel for Engineering subject as a prime textbook! Excel is great ! > Maq.

I'm definately buying the HSC excels asap :)

Brontecat

HSC
Excel Revise in a Month

What do ppl think of these books?
I've just got one off school for biology and i think it looks pretty good, has all of the stuff i remember, good fomat, helpful info... but in terms of revision are they really all the seem to be?

sickk

HSC
Re: Excel Revise in a Month

there good if you havnt done anythign for the whole year, but they dont have that depth for knowledge for the band 5/6 answers

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC

My teachers said they should only be a starting point for your studies, to validate your ideas etc. If you go into learning prepared arguments in those books word for word, you are not satisfying outcomes. I agree the General Maths one is alright. However I would also suggest looking @ Creelman for Gmaths. Area of Study Excel is excellent. Extension english don't even bother going anywhere near study guides, your better using ur noggin and notes from teachers. Your best bet is to investigate it. But don't forget the syllabus the ultimate resource. :)

hairspray

HSC

I reckon they're pretty good and useful for light reading ? The library had a sale so they sold the excel study guides and heaps of hsc resources for like $3-$10, they were still in good condition and published around 2006ish.

Only get your parents to buy you these books at full price if you're actually going to read them... cos a lot of people end up not using them due to lack of depth compared to textbooks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)