Gaining Weight (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
What can you do on it?
who knows. everything? it hasn't been delivered yet.

I will still mainly use free weights, but i hear machines are excellent for forearms.
I think i can do the row on it as well. Which should be good.

Luke_D

HSC
I didn't think there WERE exercises for forearms that you could do with machines.

Machines will give your physique a different shape than if you use dumbells. Basically, machines are more used for shaping the muscle (defining I guess you could say), where as dumbells are used to put on mass.

wanton-wonton

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
who knows. everything? it hasn't been delivered yet.

I will still mainly use free weights, but i hear machines are excellent for forearms.
I think i can do the row on it as well. Which should be good.
How can you not know? And what do you mean everything?

wanton-wonton

HSC
Luke_D said:
Machines will give your physique a different shape than if you use dumbells. Basically, machines are more used for shaping the muscle (defining I guess you could say), where as dumbells are used to put on mass.
Do you know what you're talking about, or was that just a guess. 'Cause you sound like an idiot to me.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
How can you not know? And what do you mean everything?
i dunno there were about 15 activities you could do with it. can't remember them.

DJ_Cam

Insecure Teen
HSC
N/A
I've heard alright things about universal machines, but still make sure your hitting the free weights and the big compounds. Have you worked out your diet and your exercise routine yet?

Luke_D

HSC
wanton-wonton said:
Do you know what you're talking about, or was that just a guess. 'Cause you sound like an idiot to me.
Hahaha :D

Ok then, since you seem to know the difference between machines and free weights, you tell me. :uhhuh:

wanton-wonton

HSC
Luke_D said:
Hahaha :D

Ok then, since you seem to know the difference between machines and free weights, you tell me. :uhhuh:
All I know is that you can do more varieties with weights, whereas machines are limited to the activities you could do on it, that is all.

On the other hand, you seemed to have made up quite some interesting bullshit back there.

DJ_Cam

Insecure Teen
HSC
N/A
Oh, and about the 'shaping' thing, thats achieved from higher reps and less weight, and getting the toned look comes from low BF. Both machine and free weight both put resistance on the muscles, they work towards the exact same goal, just that free weights will get your supporting muscles involved more. E.g Bench press will be a better workout for your chest and supporting muscles than the Smith Machine.

wanton-wonton

HSC
DJ_Cam said:
Oh, and about the 'shaping' thing, thats achieved from higher reps and less weight, and getting the toned look comes from low BF. Both machine and free weight both put resistance on the muscles, they work towards the exact same goal, just that free weights will get your supporting muscles involved more. E.g Bench press will be a better workout for your chest and supporting muscles than the Smith Machine.
This guy, as opposed to Luke_D, seems to know what he is talking about.

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
yay! im 57 now...thats two kilos extra...that took me 2 years to gain
Serious? Im 56 and I feel fat. And guys are meant to be heavier then girls D:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
Yeah, probably 15 shit ones for $300.
It seems like an ok machine. Obviously not a $1500 one, but a York model one. York usually makes similar equipment to 'high end' models for much less of the price.
Frankly, i don't have the money for a high end gym. And I'm not aiming to be bigger than godzilla. If anyone has the old kmart catalogue they can see it.
Reason it was so cheap with a $100 discount, is because theyre bringing out a newer model.
It looks like it may even work the legs, which would be awesome as I get frustrated with dumbell exercises for the legs. Also, it has the pulldown (just remembered)

Also, what do u guys find to be the best dumbell-pec exercises?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
DJ_Cam said:
I've heard alright things about universal machines, but still make sure your hitting the free weights and the big compounds. Have you worked out your diet and your exercise routine yet?
i don't have the dicipline and have too much of an unpredicatble lifestyle to conscript myself to an exercise diet routine.
I primarily eat a lot more protein then i used to. (heaps of tuna :) )
I also do dumbells about 3 times a week (will do more after exams)

Luke_D

HSC
Obviously free weights and machines do the same thing in principle.

During a repetiton using free weights, there will parts of the motion that will be harder than other parts. With machines, the resistance is the same basically the whole way through.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
DJ_Cam said:
what do u mean by 'BF'?

Machine-related exercises are excellent for isolating muscles. I, for example want much more work on my triceps and with dumbells I have a 3.5kg set and a 7kg set.
The 3.5 kg set is too light for tricep exercises. The 7kg one is too heavy.

wanton-wonton

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
DB bench press. Or just benchpress although it's 'unsafe' without a spot.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wanton-wonton said:
DB bench press. Or just benchpress although it's 'unsafe' without a spot.
problem: i dont have a bench. It's annoying trying to do 45 degree incline DB exercises.

DJ_Cam

Insecure Teen
HSC
N/A
Nice work on the upped protein, but also make sure you're getting carbs and EFA's as well.( Tuna is awesome again here since it's a natural source of EFAs.) Are you an ectomoprh body type i.e stick thin, can never gain weight? If so, you might have to look at a weight gainer supp to get over the caloric threshold necessary to support hypertrophy.

Luke_D

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
Dumbell press and Dumbell flyes, either on a flat bench, inclined or declined.

Inclined will target the upper chest, declined with target the lower chest and flat bench will do overall.

But since you don't have a bench, that makes things difficult :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)