General Maths and Standard English (1 Viewer)

bob fossil

HSC
Only if you have the discipline, the tolerance, the motivation and the enjoyment at doing equations, equations, equations then yes it is possible, however there are other things everyone can do besides maths study

Thats what i mean, I said "anyone can do 3 unit maths if they really want to"

So that means having the discipline, the tolerance, the motivation and the enjoyment at doing equations, equations, equations.

kyokaku92

HSC
Thats what i mean, I said "anyone can do 3 unit maths if they really want to"

So that means having the discipline, the tolerance, the motivation and the enjoyment at doing equations, equations, equations.

sif.... not everyone wants to or can do 3U maths!!! You have to be prepared to put in the work for 3U and 4U and tbh i don't think it's really worth it for mediocre results.

unless you're a scaling-tard who thinks that you'll get a shit ATAR for not doing ext maths who believes this bullshit

bob fossil

HSC
sif.... not everyone wants to or can do 3U maths!!! You have to be prepared to put in the work for 3U and 4U and tbh i don't think it's really worth it for mediocre results.

I don't think your getting what im saying. This isnt about wanting to do it or not just saying it is posible for everyone to pass 3 unit if they really wanted it.

I'm not saying anyone can get an E4 (i think a large percentage of people can though) but I think that anyone can pass the course.

kyokaku92

HSC
I don't think your getting what im saying. This isnt about wanting to do it or not just saying it is posible for everyone to pass 3 unit if they really wanted it.

I'm not saying anyone can get an E4 (i think a large percentage of people can though) but I think that anyone can pass the course.
You are seriously joking right? I actually enjoyed doing maths in yr7-10 and always got As in my reports and so naturally I thought was able to do 3U, i picked it for yr 11. How wrong I was. I did countless exercises of 3U maths hw (using Cambridge) and attempted some past papers. I got hardworking and diligent comments from my teacher in my reports all year but when it came to the exam, I ended up getting 23% in my yearly. I averaged around 25-35% in all my assessments, I was in the bottom 10 of the year and all my other subjects suffered as a result of my negligence (I fell from 1st to 5th /8 in music 2). I decided that I wasn't cut-out for the course and wasn't willing to continue the course despite the scaling benefits of it.

Now that I dropped it, I can focus on my other subjects better and I got an 88% for my first assessment in 2U. If you were in my shoes would you be going on and on about how 3U maths is easy and do-able through hardwork and dedication and perserverance?

bob fossil

HSC
How many hours a week did you put into 3 unit?
did you really want an E4, like more than anythign else?

kyokaku92

HSC
I spent about 2-3 hrs a night on maths hw alone and of course I wanted to get E4 but with the results I was getting, I probably could get no higher than E2. I really pity all the 4U guys at my school who have about on average 3hrs of maths a night.

bob fossil

HSC
I spent about 2-3 hrs a night on maths hw alone and of course I wanted to get E4 but with the results I was getting, I probably could get no higher than E2. I really pity all the 4U guys at my school who have about on average 3hrs of maths a night.

Sounds like you just wernt cut out for 3unit maths.

HSC
you dont have to be a natural to do anygood.

10 hours a week plus classes and anyone can do it.

im shithouse at english but im sure i could be very good at it if i was doing 2 hours everynight.
wtf?
umm...pretty sure you need to have a slight bit of intelligence to do 3u maths.
you have no idea wtf you are on about, seriously.

kr73114

HSC
most people do standard english and most people do general maths in the state.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Mathematics Extension 1 is a difficult course. 3 units is 180 h p.a. That's a lot of time. Choosing a 3-unit subject also limits your choice of other subjects, because it means that, if your school has a limit on the amount of units you can study, you have less units left to choose than if you chose Mathematics alone.

I disagree than "anyone can do 3 unit maths if they really want to" because, for a start, there are people who are born with genetic diseases such as Down's Syndrome, which limits their intellectual capacity and there is nothing in this day and age that can be done about it. Maybe in fifty years time we will have gene therapy that cures Down's Syndrome, but we don't yet.

Next, I assume by "anyone can do 3 unit maths" you meant that they can do it and do reasonably well at it, not just do it and flunk it. Learning in mathematics is progressive, so if a person has not been trying since Year 6 and has missed out on learning many key concepts, they are clearly not going to succeed in Mathematics Extension.

Finally, I would like to say that: General Mathematics is not "a sorry excuse for a subject". Studying it teaches students mathematical skills that have direct application to everyday activity, so it is a very useful subject for people who do not plan to continue studying mathematics outside of high school, or who wish to study accounting, economics, business or design.

Of course someone who studies Mathematics Extension 1 and Extension 2 or university mathematics as a major discipline would generally believe that General Mathematics is a sorry excuse for a subject. That doesn't mean it is though.
That's very funny. Really, it is. Economics at University assumes you know Mathematics, not General Maths.

General Maths is a sorry excuse for a subject, because when you really think of it, although it is geared towards real-life applications - it deals with simple things. Very simple things like collecting like terms, surface areas of shapes. I think everyone should do Mathematics, 3 unit is pushing it - that circle geometry can kill you, and as soon as you chuck pi for radians - most General-esque students will go "WAT" and their brains will explode because you are crossing circles with triangles... of course I'm exaggerating, but you get my point.

Also, most people do Standard English and General Maths, because most people are not intelligent enough to do the higher level stuff. However, I encourage everyone to do Advanced English because it's basically the same thing only a tad harder with texts and that and analysis, while Mathematics makes you learn things like calculus. Just saying it makes you feel smart, similarly, saying Permutations and Combinations makes a 3u student feel smart, along with Polynomials, Plane Geometry, Inverse Trigonometric Functions (or just Trigonometrics) and Binomial Theorem and Binomial Probability.

Meanwhile, the MX2 students have less words to use - but Conics is probably the best one to use... although things like Subsets of the Complex Plane, Polar Form of a Complex Number and the like are pretty cool to say too.

HSC
You can learn?

Maybe your to dumb to see that?
don't you dare call me dumb!
you're too fucking retarded to see that maybe not everyone is intelligent at maths.
obviously that is why you do standard english, your mind is way too shallow.

Schoey93

HSC
That's very funny. Really, it is. Economics at University assumes you know Mathematics, not General Maths.

General Maths is a sorry excuse for a subject, because when you really think of it, although it is geared towards real-life applications - it deals with simple things. Very simple things like collecting like terms, surface areas of shapes. I think everyone should do Mathematics, 3 unit is pushing it - that circle geometry can kill you, and as soon as you chuck pi for radians - most General-esque students will go "WAT" and their brains will explode because you are crossing circles with triangles... of course I'm exaggerating, but you get my point.

Also, most people do Standard English and General Maths, because most people are not intelligent enough to do the higher level stuff. However, I encourage everyone to do Advanced English because it's basically the same thing only a tad harder with texts and that and analysis, while Mathematics makes you learn things like calculus. Just saying it makes you feel smart, similarly, saying Permutations and Combinations makes a 3u student feel smart, along with Polynomials, Plane Geometry, Inverse Trigonometric Functions (or just Trigonometrics) and Binomial Theorem and Binomial Probability.

Meanwhile, the MX2 students have less words to use - but Conics is probably the best one to use... although things like Subsets of the Complex Plane, Polar Form of a Complex Number and the like are pretty cool to say too.
Even if a subject is listed as assumed knowledge for a course, it may not be needed or the course may over an introductory class for that subject. Calculus does seem quite cool. It is fun to say those names you mentioned too. Remember though, you can do maths in your own time, you don't have to do it at school... and that way you can focus on the topics that interest you and not what the syllabus prescribes.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The thing is that in doing maths in your own time, you unfortunately have to pay for those things... I believe. I could be wrong.

bob fossil

HSC
don't you dare call me dumb!
you're too fucking retarded to see that maybe not everyone is intelligent at maths.
obviously that is why you do standard english, your mind is way too shallow.

When did I call you dumb? I was just asking a question.

No you're wrong, I do standard english becasuse I don't have the time to write an essay every second day while studying for 4 unit maths.

Bring a little more insight before you jump to conclusions next time.

I could tutor you to a pass mark in 3 unit maths.

kt32

HSC
I have been following this forum
and i totally agree with bob fossil
anyone who has an interest in the maths involved in 2 unit or above can easily get the marks in which bob fossil has been saying.

and it does not matter what kind of mind you have, cause i notice someone called him shallow minded, the same about maths goes for english, clearly bob fossil has a high interest in maths and therefore doesnt contain a high interest in english and therefore doesnt do advanced, which is exactly what he has been saying about people doing maths so ur all just contradicting yourself when u rip him off for not doing advanced english and shit cause he said that people who have the interest and put in the time can easily get the marks in three unit and stuff so clearly ur contridicting yourself when u call him shallowminded for not doing advanced

Dyllip

HSC
What about the people that did not pay any attention to maths from year 7-10. Would they be good at 2U? Only the nerds at my school payed attention from years 7-10, it was just a bludge for everyone else. So now we just do general maths to get the basic skills for life.

kt32

HSC
regradless of whether you do 2unit or general if you didnt pay attention in 7-10 maths your going to stuggle in either of the maths causes cause ur not gunna know any of the basics
and if someone didnt pay attention in 7-10 do u really think they are gunna have the interest in doign 2unit or higher like bob fossil is saying.
What people arent reading is that he is saying if the people have the interest and stuff then anyone of them can do the subjects he isnt talking about the people who were silly from 7-10 to not pay attention in any of the subjects
and I dont see how u can just say we are learning the basics for life and stuff when u see that most university causes recommend that mathematics(2unit) is needed so really your not doing the basics your doing below the basics needed to get into university!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)