General Thoughts: English Paper 1 (AOS) (1 Viewer)

TorMental

HSC
The short answers are ok, extended response... LOL i remember someone said 'place' and i was like 'yah it could happen'. Prepared for that shit and lol'd in the exam.

hallofdoors

HSC
I can imagine a lot of people getting realllllly screwed over for creative because it was so specific! D:

BUT It was okay for me - filled out 2 booklets on each section and finished with 5 minutes to spare :D

Essay was a bit eh because one of my paragraphs was on interpersonal connections, so I just twisted it heaps and said that the characters were only able to experience their important connections because their mutual connections to place had influenced them to do so! :L

TOMORROW IS SCARY!!

isabellatres

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: How Great Was That?

Amazing paper.
In creative, it was pretty much 'Write your prepared response here, but please include some flashbacks".
I thought the links to the essay question were fairly tenuous for Emily Dickinson, but still it was 'connections to place' not belonging to place, so I talked about things that connect us to a place, like conforming to cultural institutions, society blah blah.

Section 1 was hard for techniques...

FTW

HSC
Comprehension was so time consuming - but it was good. However, one of the questions, I think I had to have one more idea, but I explained one fully. Not sure. The last question took forever, but it was good.

Creative was okay - I felt the need to swear at my hand because it was lagging behind, but nonetheless, it was alright - sense of place was through flashbacks in my story already... so I hope they'd be able to pick that up. I didn't use the stimulus though. That was stupid. Be original, B.O.S.

As for the essay, I had like 35 mins and I was writing and writing, when suddenly I was half way through my idea and had like 20 seconds for a conclusion. Quickly wrote one and left my idea. However, it took FOREVER for those supervisors to come around and sign people off and make sure everything's right so everyone basically kept writing, so i finished my idea off. Could have gone back to comprehension and perfected it to it's extreme, but I didn't since that'd be too much.

Overall, I think it was a good one. I'm just going to rely on paper 2 to really get me up there. I seriously prefer paper 2 over paper 1.
I think you may regret saying that later... They could totally stuff us up in paper 2, which is probable since this paper was relatively easy

isabellatres

HSC
Uni Grad
also, i wrote 3 booklets for each section. good?bad?average? i am normal sized writing...

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad

I think I did terribly. I try to space out my essay so that I do the essay then do a bit of comprehension, but instead I go overtime on the essay, don't finish, rush the 5-marker and then do my creative on 30 minutes, with the ending being really sloppy and rushed. I thought that it was a really easy exam, but I hate my writing speed and organisation!

rebeka94

HSC
I did really bad.
My nerves got the better of me. :(
To all those with a prepared response - FUCK YOU!
It said fucking "may" so you could've written whatever you wanted. :(
I should've made one beforehand.
Also, I knew it would be place but I didn't bother changing my quotes. :(
Horrible.
Best I'll get is 33/45. :(
SAME :( worst feeling

DVDVDVDV

Premium Member
HSC
3 booklets? I only did 2 each!

Holy moley, I'm going to have to speed up my writing speed for tomorrow :/

Harber

HSC
I can imagine a lot of people getting realllllly screwed over for creative because it was so specific! D:

BUT It was okay for me - filled out 2 booklets on each section and finished with 5 minutes to spare :D

Essay was a bit eh because one of my paragraphs was on interpersonal connections, so I just twisted it heaps and said that the characters were only able to experience their important connections because their mutual connections to place had influenced them to do so! :L

TOMORROW IS SCARY!!
ME TOO... one my my themes were interpersonal relationships so i said it they experienced interpersonal relationships through their spatial attachment!!!!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Everyone seems to agree that the question was better suited to some texts then others - is the essay aligned like they do with paper 2 or do they just mark differently based on the prescribed text?

herbs1

HSC

i thought emily dickinson was hard to use for the extended response :/
Yes, I tend to agree. You had to take place metaphorically.

Seems like everyone did something that was suited to place and didn't do Dickinson/Crucible ;o I am still in rage mode right now because of the bias of the question towards some texts and the impossibility of it towards others :S I did Crucible btw so ye stuffed >> Didn't prepare anything for place so completely screwed x.x The other sections were okay though ;o
my marks are prolly something like:
12/13 for short answer 13/14 for creative 9/10 for essay (if I'm lucky x.x)
I agree as well. The standard texts our school does would be way easier than the adv texts. What even?

Section 3 was pretty bad for Emily Dickinson poems :S
I changed connections with mother nature to connections with the natural world LOL, hopefully 11-13/15

I talked about how identity impacts on ones sense of connection to place in the sense that if your identity does not conform to expectations, then isolation results, and the inverse. Pretty bs.

I wrote 9 pages for essay, 6 for creative and 5 for short answer. Hated the short answer. Hoping for a 11-12/15, 13-14/15 and 14/15.

Also, is it normal practice for them to ask you to write the author of your pres. under the student number? Will there be specific teachers marking them?

jaafar1

HSC

how many booklet did u guys guys use? I used two for each section

themanman

HSC
N/A
So i did:

Creative 3 pages

Now what mark do u think im capped at for creative?

mirakon

nigga
HSC

So glad it said at least one related text, because only one of mine actually had anything to do with place.

For dickinson's poems "I had been hungry" was pretty good for place and for my other poem I chose to analyse "I gave myself to him" I took the novel approach of "I" being the land or place, purchased by the owner who is "him". It worked quite well.

For creative I did a story about a man cursed to walk in a straight line forever. Fit in well with "place"

Last edited:

smartalec

HSC
dont worry guys, im SURE it will get alligned for the emily dickinson/crucible peeps, im seriously? skrzynecki screams lack of belonging to warsaw (post card) and belonging to his house (10 mary street) as well as lack of belonging in migrant hostel. its
not fair for you guys, some standard kids wouldnt have thought of 'metaphorical connections to place'
dont stress!

thought it was a fair paper, short answers paralleled exactly as last ywar in terms of mark allocation.
the crearive was a bit specific and in my stories there was SOME reference to memories but wasnt really really strong...would i lose marks?

also what did everyone write for question 2 in the short answers? something about describe the perceptions...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)