Gillard rejects Rudd mining tax critics (1 Viewer)

xMaNx

HSC
Gillard rejects Rudd mining tax critics

Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard has dismissed criticism of Kevin Rudd by a former Labor treasurer and the prime minister's own brother.

Mr Rudd is under pressure to settle the government's controversial resource profits tax as Labor figures call for his removal and a new poll shows support for the party in Western Australia slumping to all-time lows.

Former Queensland Labor treasurer Keith De Lacy has urged federal MPs to ditch Mr Rudd before the next election or face electoral oblivion.

"Labor now runs the risk of being out of power for a generation. I regret to say there is no alternative but to change the leader," Mr De Lacy, now a coal mining executive, writes in the Weekend Australian on Saturday.

Ms Gillard on Saturday said she has seen the comments and did not agree with them.

"I don't agree with the view that is being expressed by Mr De Lacy," Ms Gillard told reporters in Brisbane.

"I've read the newspapers and the thing that matters is not what's in the pages of the daily newspapers but a focus on making a difference to working families."

The prime minister's handling of the mining tax is even being brought into question by his brother, the Weekend Australian says.

Greg Rudd writes in an article published by the newspaper that it's hard to say whether the prime minister has made the country a better place because of the "smoky haze of self-lit spot fires of distraction".

Asked why Australians should have faith in the government when the prime minister's own brother had little faith, Ms Gillard said: "That's maybe putting a greater construction on Greg Rudd's views than they actually fare."

Former party powerbroker Graham Richardson has also added to the pressure, saying Mr Rudd must settle the ongoing row with resource firms within a fortnight to stand a chance of being re-elected, and says the party is "bleeding votes".

Ms Gillard again brushed off suggestions she should replace Mr Rudd as prime minister, saying it was "completely absurd".

A new opinion poll shows support for the federal government in Western Australia has collapsed, despite Mr Rudd's recent visit.

The Westpoll published in the West Australian newspaper shows Labor's primary vote has fallen to just 26 per cent compared with the coalition's 52 per cent.

After preferences, the coalition leads 62 per cent to Labor's 38 per cent.
Gillard rejects Rudd mining tax critics - Yahoo!7 News

FUCK YEH!

finally people are learning, took them long enough.

HSC
N/A
i figure it'll be a mark latham esque election. before the election everyone will be anti-labor. the voters will get to the ballot box and realise a vote for liberal is a vote for tony abbott.

rudd will then be relected.

Existential

HSC
N/A
i figure it'll be a mark latham esque election. before the election everyone will be anti-labor. the voters will get to the ballot box and realise a vote for liberal is a vote for tony abbott.

lol yeah. funny how people dislike both leaders. but tony abbott..... is on a scale of his own.

xMaNx

HSC

could be, I want Turnbull back in

lol yeah. funny how people dislike both leaders. but tony abbott..... is on a scale of his own.
they both are.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
The only problem is Turnball would have had the popular vote of the people, but would be uncomfortable in a party that would be divided if he was to become leader of the coalition once again. The problem is that the far-right faction of the liberals e.g. Abbott, do not approve of his moderate views

xMaNx

HSC
so some stupid politician bitch protects her own political interests....and this means people are "learning"?

fuck you are retarded
No you cunt, I meant that people are going against Rudd, read the whole article.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
i just want to point out, that in the event that Turnbull was opposition leader, i hope you all realise that he is a closet labor man?

i vote for a Turnbull government would of been a vote for a labor Government.

ffs that is why you get people like lauchlan saying they wouldn't mind a Turnbull government because its another fucking stupid Labor government

xMaNx

HSC
yeh, he's center, but he isnt an extremist like Abbott, out of those 2 Turnbull takes my vote

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
yeh, he's center, but he isnt an extremist like Abbott, out of those 2 Turnbull takes my vote
but wtf is the point

u might as well just vote Labor back in, there is no point in voting a Liberal Turnbull government in. its the same thing

arcticdbk

HSC
N/A
Can somebody kindly explain this mining problemo in 25 words or less?

It's been on the news everywhere but I always zone out

Kim Il-Sung

HSC
but wtf is the point

u might as well just vote Labor back in, there is no point in voting a Liberal Turnbull government in. its the same thing
what are you a mong or something

turnbull is a small l liberal who does not support bullshit like the internet filter or abbott's crazy ass asylum seeker policy.

he is economically liberal too so bye bye RSPT (or at least he'd water it down), ditto BER.

turnbull rules k

xMaNx

HSC
Can somebody kindly explain this mining problemo in 25 words or less?

It's been on the news everywhere but I always zone out
As far as I know:

There's a new proposed mining tax but there is a lot of opposition to it, even some from within the party.

arcticdbk

HSC
N/A
As far as I know:

There's a new proposed mining tax but there is a lot of opposition to it, even some from within the party.
Why did you italicise that bit? So dramatic lmao.

Yeah, but what's wrong with the mining tax?

xMaNx

HSC
It'll be charging more from the miners, $9bn a year iirc, and they dont want to pay that much, but according to Ross Gittins today said that its a no profit no loss tax pretty much, meaning that they will spend it and give it away in transfer payments etc.. so the government wont actually be putting anything into Budget to bring it to surplus

arcticdbk

HSC
N/A
It'll be charging more from the miners, $9bn a year iirc, and they dont want to pay that much, but according to Ross Gittins today said that its a no profit no loss tax pretty much, meaning that they will spend it and give it away in transfer payments etc.. so the government wont actually be putting anything into Budget to bring it to surplus
Oh okay, I see

thanks bud

TacoTerrorist

HSC
You don't vote for a politician, you vote for the party. No matter what personal attributes a particular leader ostensibly has, the fact remains that the party itself and not the individual politician wields the power. Hell, in any case, it hardly matters which oppressor we vote in, as they're all going to look after the interests of big business anyway.

Incompetent political leaders aren't the problem, the incompetent political system itself is the problem. (A)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
You don't vote for a politician, you vote for the party. No matter what personal attributes a particular leader ostensibly has, the fact remains that the party itself and not the individual politician wields the power. Hell, in any case, it hardly matters which oppressor we vote in, as they're all going to look after the interests of big business anyway.

Incompetent political leaders aren't the problem, the incompetent political system itself is the problem. (A)
How do the Greens "look after big business"?

TacoTerrorist

HSC
^ I should have clarified, I apologise. What I mean is, all the major political parties uphold the capitalist system, even the Greens. However, the Greens protect the interests of the rich the least, and that's why I'll be voting for them in the coming election.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)