Got a question about cars? (1 Viewer)

HSC
i installed the Philips 'Blue Vision' lightbulb today. it looks mad already, but waiting for it to get darker to see the full effects.
a well spent $55. :)

SlipStream

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
i installed the Philips 'Blue Vision' lightbulb today. it looks mad already, but waiting for it to get darker to see the full effects.
a well spent $55. :)
Suave! You bought good ones! Well it's pretty dark here up on the disaster-zone Central Coast (thank YOU bushfires) so tell us what they look like in, oh, another 30 mins? :D

Zozo6969

HSC
Sorry V8SC don't have sequential gearboxes. They have H patterns, because Ambrose I remember on Conrod when he is braking, he just goes from 5th to 2nd the arsehole, and over revs the engine and fucks up the ECU. For some reason, I remember people call it sequential, I think they actually call it sequential but it is H pattern or some shit, I'm not sure.

Compression braking, good or bad??

HSC
SlipStream said:
Suave! You bought good ones! Well it's pretty dark here up on the disaster-zone Central Coast (thank YOU bushfires) so tell us what they look like in, oh, another 30 mins? :D
looks totally awesome! the light is actually white, but when you look into the headlights, you can see the blue.
but its not really noticeable on high-beam.
i was going to get the 'crystal vision' ones (one level higher than blue vision, diamond vision being the top) but they werent street legal. the guy said there was very little chance of me getting defected, but still...didnt want to risk it :eek:

55psi

HSC
SlipStream said:
In sequentials like the Aussie racecar you need to use the clutch when taking off and downchanging - it has an electronic rev cut when you change gears that makes flatshifting possible. I didn't know the V8SC are going sequential? Dang. I love teh H-pattern so much, I'll always have a car in the garage with one until I kick the bucket.

55psi: Driving styles between V8SC drivers vary a bit, but most don't use the clutch for upshifts at all. As you mentioned, some punch the clutch while flatshifting, but the majority don't touch the clutch at all but rather lift-off the A-pedal for a split second when upchanging, and some just slam the shifter into gear with their right foot buried to the floor which isn't particularly gentle on the drivetrain.

And in regards to the brakes... wha?! Heat is an energy released from friction, but excessive heat doesn't aid braking at all - it detracts from it, big time! That's why the V8SC have huge ducts leading onto the front brakes from the front bar. And I wouldn't think that a style that incorporates braking way before a corner in order to "heat them up" to be the faster way around a racetrack. Generally under racing conditions the rotors are constantly at a heat that ensures maximum efficiency from the brakes (if not far hotter) - but you're sort of right; generally the brakes need a bit of heat in them to work properly.
[
redslert: I think you meant the other way around, lol - if you tried to downchange a racing box without the cutch in you'll only get some really evil grinding noises.
I asked a few experts on this and V8's have not turned into sequential as previously said, theyre still with the traditional H pattern, and if they did change it, itd suck coz theres no challenge in skipping gears and the such.
The reason why they can do these flatshifting and shifting without the clutch is because the box they use in the cars are all 6 speed Holingers and theyre the very top of the range gear box and theyre very very strong which allows such shifting to happen. Pretty interesting, i might invest in these gearboxes. lol

The reason why brakes need to be heated up to be effective is that the rotor expands during the heat, which = more surface area for the pad = better grip, more friction. And the reason for quick heat dissipation is that if the pads run across red hot metal A LOT, then the pads will lose its frictional properties too quickly and will end up losing grip and will soon waste away and then u start seeing sparks.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Yeah I loved it once when I was in autobahn and I say the guy there demonstrating the bulbs to another customer - he just turned them all on sequentially and then said "these last three are illegal - but no one ever gets picked up for them".

HSC
hahaa..thats basically what he said to me.
i was yay close to buying one of those illegal ones..but ~$95 was a bit too steep for me

SlipStream

HSC
Zozo6969 said:
Sorry V8SC don't have sequential gearboxes. They have H patterns, because Ambrose I remember on Conrod when he is braking, he just goes from 5th to 2nd the arsehole, and over revs the engine and fucks up the ECU. For some reason, I remember people call it sequential, I think they actually call it sequential but it is H pattern or some shit, I'm not sure.

Compression braking, good or bad??
Yeh thought so, I was getting confused then - thought they might have brought in the Hollinger 6-speed sequentials they used in the Nations Cup Monaros all those years ago, as part of the 2006-spec cars.

Compression braking? Good for keeping your speed in check going down long hills where you don't want to turn your brake rotors into margarine frisbees. Doesn't do much other than rev your engine a little bit - I'll go with good.

dirty hands

HSC
dirty hands: you're 43 but you finished your HSC in 2003? WTF, talk about random post or what.

off topic now .but i had to reply .sorry moderators
adult re education
slipstream ..thats centerlink for you

Last edited:

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahaha

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
arent the V8SCs going to sequential this year??

i so thought they were

it's a dirty technical rule now, i want the H-patterns, make the driver work for crying out loud

SlipStream

HSC
dirty hands said:
off topic now .but i had to reply .sorry moderators

the social security paid me to go back to school including fees books and travel as an adult ( a random post i didnt know but if you want me to delete it i will)

did ok in grade 12 eneough to move onto a tafe coarse also paid by social security but i didnt make the 80 % pass mark required to continue

i was made redundant at 35 and then havent worked since so i thought i might be of help to someone hence the post

dont seem to be of value to any employer social security told me i can work as a male receptionist ..they even tried to turn me into a book keeper!
Jeez. I think the mods can overlook that...

HSC
what happens if i turn the key to start the car when the car is already running?
i did it a couple of time today coz i thought i hadnt start the car yet :eek:

55psi

HSC
it just makes a crazy noise and the starter motor trying to attempt to start the car. There probably more to it but yehjs neah jeust ncd....

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
You make a hideous noise because the starter motor tries to turn over the already spinning engine.

Avoid doing this I'm sure that it in some way damages the starter motor/its clutch/its gearing and it will also not be brilliant to the electrical system....

Zozo6969

HSC
Just say ur driving at 60kmh in 4th gear, and start slowing down to about 40 for a turn, then u put it into 2nd gear, and do u know how like the car just like slows down by itself, is that good or bad?

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
it slows down because the engine has to rev up because you changed to a lower gear. its the reason for gears, at 60km/h in second the rpm will be heaps high (if not too high) in most cars.

So changing from say 1500-2000 rpm in 4th to 4500-5000 rpm in 2nd means the engine will resist the rpm increase as the wheels are speeding up the engine cycle, not the normal throttle/intake.

i dont know if that made sense, but changing down is often used to help braking. Not as much these days, but alot more a couple of decades ago when cars were heavier and their brakes wouldnt work as effectively

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
well, everything gets wear, and as long as the rpm jump isnt too much (it'd be the same as over-revving your engine, it will just blow up if you go too far)

it'd probably place strain on the gearbox and clutch....

meh, i do it often, generally when coasting to a set of lights that have been red. so i slow down but am in a gear which i can then accelerate back upto speed

oh, btw, it shouldnt destroy anything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)