How do I become a doctor? (1 Viewer)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
tamer4

So without a background in Biology & Chemistry you think you can handle Physiology. Biochemistry & Pharmacology, realistically. Just Google?
I know I'm not the one who's been asked this question but year 12 bio isn't needed for sure (well, I haven't done it and I've coped well with biochem, pharm, etc).
But basic chem knowledge, I'd say, is essential. At the very least year 11 chem and some parts of year 12 chem like acids and bases

Having said this, that much of chem is crammable?

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
I know I'm not the one who's been asked this question but year 12 bio isn't needed for sure (well, I haven't done it and I've coped well with biochem, pharm, etc).
But basic chem knowledge, I'd say, is essential. At the very least year 11 chem and some parts of year 12 chem like acids and bases

Having said this, that much of chem is crammable?
After first semester, those who have done chem and those who haven't are equal. Medicine focuses much more on the patient itself, moving away from strict biochemistry and pharmacology. Success in medicine depends more on your thought process which is augmented by chemistry and biology.

Examine

same
HSC
Whoever you are, you're just disgracing Girraween now. I don't even need to look at your username (nice work with the subtlety regarding your age btw) or your PM to see that you're a 15/16 yr old.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Carrotsticks again.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
tamer4

So without a background in Biology & Chemistry you think you can handle Physiology. Biochemistry & Pharmacology, realistically. Just Google?
Sure can, there are plenty of people in my year who went into 1st year without a science background and did fine. Realistically, most of the the relevant stuff you know from high school is covered in the first two weeks of that topic anyway so while high school makes it a little easier to begin with, you can do fine without.

qwerty44

HSC
tamer4

Don't get me wrong, I also think that they should require Chemistry or whatever is needed throughout the course.

I'm just saying what it is like from the university's point of view. If just ONE non-science person gets in and copes well, then the uni has gained something and so has the student. Just imagine that you were in year 12 and didn't do sciences. Then towards the end of the year you wanted to do medicine. You would be devastated if you couldn't do it. But if you still had a chance you would take it, and face any workload or difficulty to get to where you want. I'm just trying to say that there is no requirement so that your tertiary study is not defined by year 12 subjects. We chose subjects in year 10, at 16 years of age. Don't you think that your mind could change dramatically in that time from year 10 to 12?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Something must be wrong with you if you didn't do any Sciences during Senior Years (implying no interest in science), then suddenly thinking "Hey! I want to become a doctor now. Never mind the fact that it is one of the most science-heavy courses that you can study at University".

The equivalent would be me suddenly thinking "Hey, I want to do a Bachelor of Arts now!" (mind you, I seriously disliked English during High School)

qwerty44

HSC
Something must be wrong with you if you didn't do any Sciences during Senior Years (implying no interest in science), then suddenly thinking "Hey! I want to become a doctor now. Never mind the fact that it is one of the most science-heavy courses that you can study at University".

The equivalent would be me suddenly thinking "Hey, I want to do a Bachelor of Arts now!" (mind you, I seriously disliked English during High School)
There is definitely something wrong if that happens.

But is EVERYONE normal?

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Even if I came from a science background, I see nothing wrong with my colleagues doing it.

Mitsurugi

HSC
Relax people.. You scared her off. Besides, who cares if someone does it for prestige. In the end, a doctor is a doctor. If they do it for the money, they are still going to do their job right.
I agree with you, honestly.
I can't believe the majority of people here are either trolling or bullying a girl.
Message to everyone who either trolled or bullied Stylishhh (you know who you are so don't play dumb): Apologise to Stylishhh! It is an ORDER, not an option!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with you, honestly.
I can't believe the majority of people here are either trolling or bullying a girl.
Message to everyone who either trolled or bullied Stylishhh (you know who you are so don't play dumb): Apologise to Stylishhh! It is an ORDER, not an option!
wtf is wrong with you

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
That's one of the most misguided and ignorant things I've ever heard. If you want to be a doctor, all you need is a passion for your potential career, whether it be to help people or to excel in the ranks of what's a very challenging and engaging profession. I know a myriad of humanities students who are now excelling in graduate medicine after taking Arts degrees (NO science). Medicine isn't difficult to understand, it's mostly memorisation with a heavy dose of clinical engagement and general awareness of the field - yes there are underlying concepts that are science based but I would argue that they are very elementary and any motivated student could catch up by some extra, planned study with very few problems.

Again, one of countless analogies: I had a lovely classmate who was never a science student and never particularly liked maths - but she always wanted to be a doctor. She got into UNSW med, did a bridging course and is now doing excellently.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
That's one of the most misguided and ignorant things I've ever heard. If you want to be a doctor, all you need is a passion for your potential career, whether it be to help people or to excel in the ranks of what's a very challenging and engaging profession. I know a myriad of humanities students who are now excelling in graduate medicine after taking Arts degrees (NO science). Medicine isn't difficult to understand, it's mostly memorisation with a heavy dose of clinical engagement and general awareness of the field - yes there are underlying concepts that are science based but I would argue that they are very elementary and any motivated student could catch up by some extra, planned study with very few problems.

Again, one of countless analogies: I had a lovely classmate who was never a science student and never particularly liked maths - but she always wanted to be a doctor. She got into UNSW med, did a bridging course and is now doing excellently.
this pretty much

A lot of the science-y elements of medicine can be learnt either during the course or if your chemistry is lacking, a bridging course or self study should be sufficient

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

This is only after they have studied for the GAMSAT though, which contains a lot of science.

Mainly, the science background is necessary to do well if you're going into grad med. If you get in with 99.95 and do BCom/MBBS and never do a science subject until the MBBS you will most likely struggle. I've heard it gets really full on really fast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)