How does your school award the dux? (1 Viewer)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Well it's based on highest ATAR at my school. The high achievers get called back on the first or second day back next year and the presentation is then.

xAlan

HSC
rofl our school had 2 dux for internal assessments, not highest atar >.< The catch is both of them are twins(girls) and got 1st + 2nd for the same subjects and kinda equalled up :p

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah at mine it's internal ranks, but for some reason half the time the dux gets a tiny beaten by someone in the end like 0.5 or 0.1 points.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Highest ATAR, usually makes the most sense.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Dux is based off the highest ATAR at my school also. Though there a number of Academic Excellence awards awarded for those who come first in the most subjects, and perform most academically internally.

M

MichelleV

Our one is highest atar.
Although in the last few years, that seems to be the same person who comes first in all/most their subjects.
:p

mirakon

nigga
HSC
My school doesn't have a 'Dux' but rather an "Academic Achievement Award" based on internal marks. This is because at the big Presentation Night, HSC marks aren't released yet - so... yeah.
^^^this except we have a DUx who happens to get the AAA. But yeah, at our school its based on internals which are used to calculate predicted ATAR which determines it (i think)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
^^^this except we have a DUx who happens to get the AAA. But yeah, at our school its based on internals which are used to calculate predicted ATAR which determines it (i think)
UNSW AAA was awarded to me (which I never took up) and I didn't get dux. Then again, they choose someone who they think will actually go to UNSW (since most of the kids at my old school either don't go onto university or choose something closer).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
UNSW AAA was awarded to me (which I never took up) and I didn't get dux. Then again, they choose someone who they think will actually go to UNSW (since most of the kids at my old school either don't go onto university or choose something closer).
^ That.

I was asked by my Head of Secondary if I had any interest in UNSW and I said, "Yeah I have a few top preferences there" and she was like "GREAT! I'll sign you up for it". I was like, "Okay...?" (I didn't know what it meant at the time)

J-Ed

HSC
In my school, there's a dux for every year group and it's always by internal marks. Though, I've always wondered how they chose dux of years 11 and 12, considering the different subjects and stuff... lol

candylollypop

HSC
Tbh i think it only works at lower ranked schools where the person who will get the highest atar can be easily predicted.
No they don't just 'predict', they aligned the course marks with the cohort from a few years ago similar to this year's cohort and work out the aggregate...whoever has the highest aggregate is dux, since multiple people get the top atar.

IamBread

HSC
UNSW AAA award was handed to me, and the guy who got dux plans to go to UNSW, so I have no idea how my school does it.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
We have 'dux of year 12' and 'dux of the HSC'. Dux of year 12 is determined before the HSC and is dependent on the amount of 1sts, 2nds and 3rds you have. Dux of the HSC is for the person with the highest atar.

HSC
Uni Grad
Highest ATAR. internally on graduation day, they did it based on the number of first places a student obtained.

2011_

HSC
My school doesn't award the Dux until the Presentation Day of the following year (eg. Dux of 2011 is announced in December 2012) so I presume it is based upon the ATAR. I guess I should probably ask somebody .......

M

MichelleV

My school doesn't award the Dux until the Presentation Day of the following year (eg. Dux of 2011 is announced in December 2012) so I presume it is based upon the ATAR. I guess I should probably ask somebody .......
This is what my school does as well. Ours is highest atar.

m.jakaran

HSC
Our school only awards one dux so in the event of a tie its based of the estimated aggregate.

neontiger

HSC
My school does it based on ATAR, so it gets awarded the year after you sit your HSC. In the event of a tie they just give joint dux but I can't remember the last time that happened. Having said that, it's a bit meaningless at my school where there's usually about 20 people getting over 99...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)