HSC Study (1 Viewer)

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
From a previous post, I had specified I would like to achieve a solid ATAR of 95+. Through, the first week of Year 12 (ended today) I just realised I haven't got a set plan of how I am going to achieve this goal or how to do it. Through other people's form and advice, I have learnt that everyday whatever classes have been done, Homework should necessarily be finished first and then general study on each subject which occurred through the day should be done. However, I am unsure how many hours homework and general study be completed by & what is included in general study.

If you could would give me some advice about what to do would be great, however if you could mention your own study plan and what you did/do during general study throughout the HSC would be awesome.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Doing past papers and making notes based on the syllabus.

What subjects are you doing?

AltoFeisar

HSC
When someone says use the syllabus, what the heck do they mean?

Am I supposed to structure my notes and work based off of the syllabus dot points? Or when I create a response for a topic, formulate a structure based off of the syllabus? I feel like it's not as useful for science and mathematics.

Kangaaroo

HSC
N/A

Am I supposed to structure my notes and work based off of the syllabus dot points? Or when I create a response for a topic, formulate a structure based off of the syllabus? I feel like it's not as useful for science and mathematics.
The syllabus contains all the content and skills you need to know in the course. They're useful for making notes because you can easily consolidate the content you need to know, but I find with maths it's generally more useful to keep an updated summary book on all the units covered in your textbook, and maybe check out the syllabus every now and then to reaffirm the specific skills you need to know.

AltoFeisar

HSC
Actually yeah a summary book would be really good. Never reading the syllabus and making one would probably explain my middling Year 11 results.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

Base/structure your notes around the dot points to try and ensure you are covering all the content.

Also with science, make sure you hand in practice responses to your teachers so you know you are formulating a correct response to "assess" questions etc.

AltoFeisar

HSC
Will do. Yeah, I wrongly assumed science courses weren't heavy on assessing content (as opposed to mathematical skills) and so never did practice written responses or much notes.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad

Science is perhaps one of those subjects where following the dot points is the most important. What I would recommend is you make a google docs document or word doc and you paste the dot point from the syllabus bold it and then underneath it write content / exam like responses as well as including diagrams (what I found really helpful was writing step by step things I needed to do in questions, so essentially you are getting practice at predicting the marking criteria which is a really useful skill)

Try to structure your notes so they are not like 100s of pages of useless stuff. What I mean by this is you shouldn't be writing obvious things in your notes that you already understand very well, so they are concise and have the main info of things you might occasionally forget. This makes it very easy for you to study when you get to exams or if you are doing past papers being able to refer back to your notes after you did the test to see what else you should have written

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Here is an example of how I would recommend you write your notes
Screen Shot 2019-10-19 at 2.54.49 pm.png

Doing things like that make sure that you are writing notes so as to prepare directly for the exam

AltoFeisar

HSC
Structuring it into steps sounds -and looks- really good, I will do that thanks

I hope that's not yr 12 chemistry haha

AltoFeisar

HSC
Nah I'm sorry Chemistry wins, love me some chem. Physics is okay but math still makes me want to pull my hair out.

AltoFeisar

HSC
I'm still waiting to do the real cool physics stuff like relativity and the Standard Model, I'm sure it gets good then 👉👉

magicgate3

HSC
Uni Grad
Base/structure your notes around the dot points to try and ensure you are covering all the content.

Also with science, make sure you hand in practice responses to your teachers so you know you are formulating a correct response to "assess" questions etc.
So what about Math, recommend going through the syllabus doing the exercises in the book & extra work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)