is art a bludge (1 Viewer)

rpnzl

HSC
Well then to answer your question, no.

Why is it that people think the Creative and Performing Arts subjects are all bludge subjects?
lol, nah man i wasn't talking about you, you seem like a pretty tolerant kind of person. But time and time again it comes up in these sorts of threads:

"you think your so good just cuz you do science! you don't understand! you're boring! you're so uncreative! you're up yourself!"

Yes sometimes this is provoked, but often it just comes from an off-hand remark about how HSC art, drama, sac, cafs are not as hard as some HSC math and science courses, which in all honesty is more or less true.

While your points of the subjectivity of difficulty are very much valid, the fact is that the syllabus requirements of some courses means that 90 percent of the time they are always going to be far more demanding than others in terms of time and effort. Of course you are going to get people that are just naturally gifted in some disciplines and shithouse in others and it is here that i think your points of subjectivity most apply. However lets look at things realistically, a lot of year 12 students are not naturally talented in any of the subjects offered in the HSC. They do alright in most if not all of their subjects, not failing, not doing fantastically, just getting a general grasp of the concepts good enough to get a nicely rounded ATAR. For such students, it would take a lot more time and effort to get their head around say 4 unit math work than visual art theory as the concepts themselves are just more complex (the concepts required at HSC level by the syllabus).

EDIT: Let me make it clear that i am talking in terms of the demands required by the HSC syllabus, not the discipline as a whole outside of an HSC context.

People like you piss me off like no tomorrow, can you not see how utterly hypocritical you are being?
Lol well said.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
But doesn't that depend on what you classify as difficult? Like, I would find great difficulty in a complex maths problem. The asian whose locker is next to mine would find great difficulty in devising a group performance. Ta da.

By the way, I definitely agree with you to an extent. I know that Latin Extension, 4 unit maths and the like are way beyond my capabilities, and acknowledge that they are perceivably difficult in terms of concepts to grasp etc. All I want to say is that the creative subjects are constantly written off as 'bludges', and it's highly judgemental, and almost offensive to someone who has literally spent hours upon hours upon hours trying to relay complex ideas into musical/dramatic/artistic/literary form.

Hey, there's a bit of a middle ground. Extension 2 English is primarily a creative subject and it's classed as difficult, right?

I dunno, it's just annoying. Just because something requires originality and creativity rather than memorising formulas and working out mathematical problems, it's deemed as a bludge.
Yes, creative subjects often do get the short end of the stick don't they? It is a shame, just wanted to show a bit of the other side. I just think its so fruitless to resort to calling science/math people mindless snobs, kind of defies the whole point don't you think?

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Yes, creative subjects often do get the short end of the stick don't they? It is a shame, just wanted to show a bit of the other side. I just think its so fruitless to resort to calling science/math people mindless snobs, kind of defies the whole point don't you think?
Haha, I'm inclined to say the opposite. I always respect people who do maths/science, it's waaaaay beyond my scope of knowledge. It's not mindless either, there's just...a different set of skills needed.

Anyway, I best be off. My art exam is tomorrow and this was supposed to be my '5 minute break before I go to bed' after a day of study...!

random-1005

Banned
HSC
It's actually 5 majors, drama has two. And I did start in Year 11 actually, I had a whole lot of my Extension 2 done before the beginning of year 12, don't make half-arsed assumptions.

Again, I reiterate, you don't actually DO any of these subjects at a senior level. You don't understand the commitment and hard work that is actually put into these subjects. To give you a primary example, Music 2 scales better than Physics. Why? Because it's about 3 times harder, and requires you to be analytical/conceptual/theoretical/practical etc etc etc.

Just to pick a hole in your argument, Society and Culture IS a social science subject, so I don't think they've left all the 'shit subjects till the last week' as you so ignorantly asserted.

Honestly, you're a fuckwit. A major work is one of the hardest things about the HSC. They require independent investigation, consistent motivation, money, time, skill, logic, creativity, the list goes on. I truly don't understand how you can deny that an arts subject deserves just as much merit as a science or maths course.

and they are really that hard when you have forever to do it, lol, just listen to music and shit in class, then at the end of the yr you are all rushing, and you wonder why?

you are constantly in wanker mode, music, art, drama, ENGLISH!, all of those subs require you to wank on about stuff that is not even there, all those wanker techniques, always have to over analyse everything, have you ever wonder maybe, just maybe, the composer didnt make it to make some bullshit comment about society??

i guess its what happens when you give someone too much choice, they pick the wanker bludge subs

Last edited:

jinglebells

HSC
hi! i would like to make a point clear i got very angry yesterday and started a rant it has been a build up of things not just this post. I dont think science or maths is any better than art, they are all equal what i was trying to say is i detest this attitude that SOME people possess towards arts, and when someone insults your passion well in my case i get very angry because it seems quite common towards art now. so please people just take time to understand it a bit more. And sorry i indicated that maths and science were wanker subjects because they arent, they are practical and extremly imperative to society, however the arts also reach the same platform on an intellectual scale. so neither is better than the other, but i love art so please don't mock it. and random wow captian fuckwit, this is what i was trying to talk about in my first post these delinquents who hold unintelligable viewpoints. please die.

ART IS NOT A BLUDGE

random-1005

Banned
HSC
hi! i would like to make a point clear i got very angry yesterday and started a rant it has been a build up of things not just this post. I dont think science or maths is any better than art, they are all equal what i was trying to say is i detest this attitude that SOME people possess towards arts, and when someone insults your passion well in my case i get very angry because it seems quite common towards art now. so please people just take time to understand it a bit more. And sorry i indicated that maths and science were wanker subjects because they arent, they are practical and extremly imperative to society, however the arts also reach the same platform on an intellectual scale. so neither is better than the other, but i love art so please don't mock it. and random wow captian fuckwit, this is what i was trying to talk about in my first post these delinquents who hold unintelligable viewpoints. please die.

ART IS NOT A BLUDGE
lol, i thought with all the extra wanking you wouldnt get that wrong

go wank some more tosser

smoke a joint, and then stare at "art", half of the english/art teachers at my school are on fukin drugs, i wonder why, they need some "inspiration" for there art works LOL

Last edited:

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
and they are really that hard when you have forever to do it, lol, just listen to music and shit in class, then at the end of the yr you are all rushing, and you wonder why?

you are constantly in wanker mode, music, art, drama, ENGLISH!, all of those subs require you to wank on about stuff that is not even there, all those wanker techniques, always have to over analyse everything, have you ever wonder maybe, just maybe, the composer didnt make it to make some bullshit comment about society??

i guess its what happens when you give someone too much choice, they pick the wanker bludge subs
Okay so you don't like or have any respect for the creative or performing arts. We understand.
However, Music is not necessarily about blabbing on about stuff. You cannot bludge your way through this subject. I get how you can decide on what you think about an artwork and talk about how you interpret an artwork and make up stuff up, sure and we all do this in English, but you CANNOT do this in Music. Music is a completely different style of subject.
By the way, can you play a musical instrument? Because if not then I suggest you should not talk about Music in terms of it being a "bludge subject". Learning, practicing and playing a musical instrument is a difficult thing to do and I have found that it is nothing whatsoever like artmaking practice.
On a side note, if you hate over analysing things then perhaps you should not have taken Advanced English.
Now please, I understand you hate Visual Arts and the rest of the CAPA subjects and you have no need to say anything more about your hate for them so maybe you should just go away and leave us alone. You've expressed your opinion and we have understood. The end.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
No subject is easy if you want to do well. Art can be a bludge if you want to put in no work or get a poor result... but that goes for everything else too.

You get out the work you put in.

fromthemoon

HSC
i find most "un-creative" subjects lack challenge...you study you understand the rules it's easy...a straight line i'd say.
Subject such as drama, art etc. require a the ability to create from nothing and produce original ideas that correspond to and reflect the condition of human nature blah blah etc. It is far harder to produce an art work or performance that means something on a subconscious, metaphorical and physical level than learning a bunch of facts from a book.
and then there is the fact that for most of these subject your working on 2 assignment per-term if not 3.
As in drama this term i had to work on my ip, a monologue and an essay all in the same term. It is much the same with art as you have to produce five major case studies along with your body of work and final exam.
these subject are not bludgy at all...just different.

mckensara

HSC
i found art hard, i wont lie. it is so damn subjective, its like the creative in English paper one X 50%.

i achieved an internal assessment of 96 and an external of 93, mostly because i doubt they liked my major!

vanitysnare

HSC
No art is not a 'bludge'. Some students take art so they can just do a crappy drawing or throw paint around and pretend they're Jackson Pollock, and then usually they don't do theory. It depends on the person, not the subject.

And IMO, it is sometimes harder to look at a piece/create a piece and understand conceptual aspects than memorise facts and formulas.

And btw, people with superiority complexes will usually diss another subject because they have no natural talent.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Visual Arts is not a bludge subject if you want to do well. I dropped the subject in Year 10 not because I didn't enjoy art, but because I knew the effort and sacrifice that would be necessary for the major work in Year 12.

Geoffo11

HSC
Pollock and Warhol weren't always the hardest working artists..
Just get a bucket of paint and splash it on. Art teachers love spontaneous crap, and the art galleries always have a look that they are going for, adhere to that if it doesn't bother you.
Warhol didn't even do many of his prints, had someone else print them for him.
But the markers will see time and effort in your works if you actually put it in.

K

Kozak92

No subject is a bludge except for those TAFE subjects that aren't even category B such as Beauty.

AmieLea

HSC
i dont think it's a bludge, not if you put the effort into it. there's so many artworks in the world and twice that many interpretations you can made for just ONE of those artworks.

by the way- DALI ROCKS!!! :guitar:

purplepapaya

HSC
art is not a bludge at all in any snese of the word. you have to study, you have to know what your talking about you have to do a major work which you have to explain and understand and have a good concept behind it. the only thing that might make it slightly easier is that the curriculum doesn't change.

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad
And btw, people with superiority complexes will usually diss another subject because they have no natural talent.

not necesarily... im really good at art and i thought it was a bludge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)