is art a bludge (1 Viewer)

jamersonx

HSC
Seeing as you don't DO any of these subjects, I would encourage you to kindly shut the fuck up.

For what those subjects lack in study hours, they make up for in major work/PIP preparation. Drama and Art literally sucked the hours out of my day. The holidays before trials were spent 95% at school finishing, retuning and refining my multiple major works. I didn't leave any of this to the last minute, it just requires a whole lot of time and effort- alot more than any non-practical subjects- that you don't seem able to comprehend.

Do you find Advanced English easy? Well a drama essay is similar to an english essay except for the fact that a drama essay asks for about 8 more things, all to be crammed into the same 40 minute timeframe.

I hate people who say that practical subjects are a bludge. Peculiarly it's always those doing the maths/science combination that decide their subject choice is superior.
Totally agree. It is very difficult to get into the High Band 6 range for major works in Art and Drama.. They really require a consistent input of effort throughout the whole year to refine and hopefully achieve a decent mark.

And Drama essays.. The analysis of an English essay + the deconstruction of an Art essay + the experience of a Drama performance/workshop.. It is a difficult thing to get your head around.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
IF they were all easy as crap, I'm assuming you would get band 6 without even trying? :)

But I don't understand why it appears that you havent chosen "any of these crappy subjects" ??

I mean we all like to choose subjects that are easy and that we can ace, right?
nah, i thrive with challenges, i need a subject that is more than just slopping paint on a board and then coming up with some bullshit reflection statement (or whatever you do) saying how it representes something it clearly does not. i would fall asleep if i ever took any of those subjects and i would be surrounded by the scum of the school as all the retards pick it for easy marks.

Last edited:

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Seeing as you don't DO any of these subjects, I would encourage you to kindly shut the fuck up.

For what those subjects lack in study hours, they make up for in major work/PIP preparation. Drama and Art literally sucked the hours out of my day. The holidays before trials were spent 95% at school finishing, retuning and refining my multiple major works. I didn't leave any of this to the last minute, it just requires a whole lot of time and effort- alot more than any non-practical subjects- that you don't seem able to comprehend.

Do you find Advanced English easy? Well a drama essay is similar to an english essay except for the fact that a drama essay asks for about 8 more things, all to be crammed into the same 40 minute timeframe.

I hate people who say that practical subjects are a bludge. Peculiarly it's always those doing the maths/science combination that decide their subject choice is superior.

you have the easiest subjects ever, just 4 majors works, a whole year (one and three quarters if you started in yr11 like a smart person would) to do four major works, all of your subjects are arts, to easy.

wheres the maths??, wheres the science??, wheres the social science??

your a perfect example why they should make everyone do a maths or a science

thats one thing i only just realised now, have you guys noticed that they have left all the shit subjects to the last week (except engineering). you got drama, art, design tech society culture, geo, endless list of shit

Last edited:

blueduck

i dunno but i know exacty how fast im going
HSC
it depends on ur def of "bludge"

art can take a LONG time but relitively little thought
science/math can take a short time but requires A LOT of thought

i do art, math, chem and phys... and i found phys to be blugiest (could be cause i didnt listen in class ..concentrating instead of developing inside jokes with friend :tongue: )

waza_

HSC
just about as cool as taking a shit on a piece of paper and calling it art

Seriously why the fuck are you on this part of the forum? You don't even do art and you just ramble on and make shit up

So please get off this section of the forum so REAL art students can discuss their ideas

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Seriously why the fuck are you on this part of the forum? You don't even do art and you just ramble on and make shit up

So please get off this section of the forum so REAL art students can discuss their ideas
what ideas about shitting on paper

Erotic Jesus

HSC
If you consider that to be an idea, your opinion automatically becomes invalid and you need to stfu.

Art was a bludge for me. It was a pin in the ass towards the end though, because I fell into the routine of not doing any work, and the lst 40% of my BOW was mostly done in the last month before it had to be handed in.

When you're actually doing prac work it's all pretty casual, from what I've experiences. My teacher would let us listen to music, sit around outide etc. Most of the class was happy to come back and work at lunch because of how laid back it was. As long as we were working it was fine.
Granted, the work done wasn't alays that much, but y'know.

Our teacher also gave us an alternating timetable, one week of prac and one week of theory, then another week of prac, etc. It made us appreciate the prac week way more.

MzBiiBii

HSC
you have the easiest subjects ever, just 4 majors works, a whole year (one and three quarters if you started in yr11 like a smart person would) to do four major works, all of your subjects are arts, to easy.

thats one thing i only just realised now, have you guys noticed that they have left all the shit subjects to the last week (except engineering). you got drama, art, design tech society culture, geo, endless list of shit
DT was on the first week. Uh-oh, I think that means it's important and it contradicts your little theory...

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC

You just insinuated that the Creative and Performing Arts subjects are far less important/challenging than Maths/Science/Social Science (or HSIE as they are referred to by the Board of Studies) subjects and then called Society and Culture and Geography (both Social Science/HSIE subjects) crap subjects.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
While i don't think art is as useless and ridiculously easy as random seems to, you guys can't honestly believe that it's up there with chem, the extensions, Greek/latin etc? While the BOW does take a lot of work, it doesn't take that much work. I think some people need to stop ripping into art but others also need to stop firing up so quick when someone says there are other subjects that require quite a bit more time and effort. Just my opinion.

Cinnamonster

HSC
It's not just Visual Arts that people seem to rip apart and insinuate is the easiest/bludgiest subject. It's all of the CAPA subjects - drama, dance, music 1 and 2.
And to be totally honest Art was probably the easiest subject of mine, but Music 1 was one of the more difficult subjects I took and both are from the same faculty. I put equal amounts of effort into both subjects though.
I think there needs to be a bit more respect all round for the creative and performing arts. I have no problem with science and maths based subjects and I respect the subjects and the people who decide to study them BUT I feel as if a lot of people need to understand that creative and performing arts subjects are not just a load of free time and bludge days and are, at times, quite challenging.

MzBiiBii

HSC
it's not just visual arts that people seem to rip apart and insinuate is the easiest/bludgiest subject. It's all of the capa subjects - drama, dance, music 1 and 2.
And to be totally honest art was probably the easiest subject of mine, but music 1 was one of the more difficult subjects i took and both are from the same faculty. I put equal amounts of effort into both subjects though.
I think there needs to be a bit more respect all round for the creative and performing arts. I have no problem with science and maths based subjects and i respect the subjects and the people who decide to study them but i feel as if a lot of people need to understand that creative and performing arts subjects are not just a load of free time and bludge days and are, at times, quite challenging.
+1

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I think there needs to be a bit more respect all round for the creative and performing arts. I have no problem with science and maths based subjects and I respect the subjects and the people who decide to study them BUT I feel as if a lot of people need to understand that creative and performing arts subjects are not just a load of free time and bludge days and are, at times, quite challenging.
I agree that this would be great, but on the same note i think people that take creative subjects need to accept that there are a lot of HSC subjects out there that are simply much, much more difficult. It would be nice if people could stop jumping to conclusions that someone is some sort of boring elitist snob for pointing this out.

Cinnamonster

HSC
I was in no way insinuating that you are a 'boring, elitist snob'. I'm sorry if that came across that way. I understand where you are coming from with your point about difficulty.

I really think it's down to a matter of opinion as to whether a subject can be classed as more difficult than another.
See, if there was someone who was just a naturally gifted maths student and understood the way numbers work then they'd find the subjects which are primarily maths based much more easier to grasp than something like, I don't know, Dance, which they may not even be able to do. Therefore, with lack of knowledge/understanding of the subject, this would make Dance far more difficult than Maths.
Same as some people who find Visual Arts easy because they're just naturally good at it but when it comes to science based subjects they could struggle terribly.
The English/Maths thing yeah? Unless you're one of those lucky people who are extremely talented with both... Some people find English easier and other people find Maths easier.
I know people who take both Modern and Ancient History and while they're similar in some respects, I have heard varying opinions of both. Some people have said Ancient is much more difficult because of the weird terms and concepts they've got to understand, while others have said that they find the politics of Modern difficult to understand. Likewise, some people have actually said that Ancient and Modern easier for the very same reason why others find it difficult.
And etc. etc.
I think it depends on who the student is as a person and the way their mind works as to how difficult a subject is.
But that is simply my opinion.

jinglebells

HSC
I never reply to this forum, but this made me so angry.

Firstly I don't need some inactive, illiterate sponge to tell me that shit on a canvas is art, people are actually not that stupid! Believe it or not art exists on an intellectual level and to understand it sometimes it is necessary to research the past and examine the artistic intentions employed. If you think art is some kind of subject which is below par with maths and sciences please commit suicide now, because I can tell you right now that there is so much passion, thought and intellect in art which is so great for the soul. And I have put so much effort into my case studies and my BOW. It doesn't contain the same content or academics as traditional subjects because it is a creative process that allows a person to express and interpret their own world. Making ludicrous comments that art is stupid, with out giving proper examples obviously shows the extent of your incompetence and your fantastic ability to generalize and label minorities. I can proudly say THAT I AM SO GLAD I love art and I don't need someone to dumb it down telling me its worthless, its one of the greatest things humans are capable of as well as drama and music. Just because you traditional academics are jealous of us please don't pronounce how easy art is and how much harder your subjects are, because in the end who really gives a fuck about your pathetic, melancholic monotonous life. :)

HSC
let just say they are different.

you cannot compare maths/science/etc and art/drama/etc, they are just simply so completly different.

it is only a bludge if thats what you make it. As in any other subject, you have to work very hard to get high marks.

well there is my 2 cents worth!​

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
lol, nah man i wasn't talking about you, you seem like a pretty tolerant kind of person. But time and time again it comes up in these sorts of threads:

"you think your so good just cuz you do science! you don't understand! you're boring! you're so uncreative! you're up yourself!"

Yes sometimes this is provoked, but often it just comes from an off-hand remark about how HSC art, drama, sac, cafs are not as hard as some HSC math and science courses, which in all honesty is more or less true.

While your points of the subjectivity of difficulty are very much valid, the fact is that the syllabus requirements of some courses means that 90 percent of the time they are always going to be far more demanding than others in terms of time and effort. Of course you are going to get people that are just naturally gifted in some disciplines and shithouse in others and it is here that i think your points of subjectivity most apply. However lets look at things realistically, a lot of year 12 students are not naturally talented in any of the subjects offered in the HSC. They do alright in most if not all of their subjects, not failing, not doing fantastically, just getting a general grasp of the concepts good enough to get a nicely rounded ATAR. For such students, it would take a lot more time and effort to get their head around say 4 unit math work than visual art theory as the concepts themselves are just more complex (the concepts required at HSC level by the syllabus).

EDIT: Let me make it clear that i am talking in terms of the demands required by the HSC syllabus, not the discipline as a whole outside of an HSC context.

I never reply to this forum, but this made me so angry.

Firstly I don't need some inactive, illiterate sponge to tell me that shit on a canvas is art, people are actually not that stupid! Believe it or not art exists on an intellectual level and to understand it sometimes it is necessary to research the past and examine the artistic intentions employed. If you think art is some kind of subject which is below par with maths and sciences please commit suicide now, because I can tell you right now that there is so much passion, thought and intellect in art which is so great for the soul. And I have put so much effort into my case studies and my BOW. It doesn't contain the same content or academics as traditional subjects because it is a creative process that allows a person to express and interpret their own world. Making ludicrous comments that art is stupid, with out giving proper examples obviously shows the extent of your incompetence and your fantastic ability to generalize and label minorities. I can proudly say THAT I AM SO GLAD I love art and I don't need someone to dumb it down telling me its worthless, its one of the greatest things humans are capable of as well as drama and music. Just because you traditional academics are jealous of us please don't pronounce how easy art is and how much harder your subjects are, because in the end who really gives a fuck about your pathetic, melancholic monotonous life.
People like you piss me off like no tomorrow, can you not see how utterly hypocritical you are being?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)