Languages, anyone? (1 Viewer)

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
Anybody learn languages for fun? I'm pretty interested, motivation's a bother though (self learning without good materials can be a pain).

HSC
Uni Grad
I've been learnin some Finnish on and off all year. I should really get back to it, it is pretty fun and I generally dont find motivation much of a problem. I made my software design major project a program to teach english to finnish and vice versa. But yeh I recommend learnin languages for the lols, a good way to spend some time.

Ostentatious

HSC
It is really fun! I want to learn Spanish, at least to Lower Intermediate Level - whatever that constitutes.

Ostentatious

HSC
My HSC language teacher often made comments on the difficulty of German conjugations and grammar... what do you think?

bio_nut

HSC
My HSC language teacher often made comments on the difficulty of German conjugations and grammar... what do you think?
German grammar is evilllllllllll.

It's not particularly difficult I guess, there's just a LOT of rules to follow. Practise makes perfect.

German is awesome though, a very logical language.

Ostentatious

HSC

It's not particularly difficult I guess, there's just a LOT of rules to follow. Practise makes perfect.

I like it when it works out that way though :)

Learned the basics of Hebrew and got my vocabulary up to around 300-400 words or so with an attempt at a Spaced repetition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia application.. I Might keep it going and learn proper grammar.
How would you rate spaced repetition in terms of time? I was thinking of that technique, but it seems like it will take quite a while.

Sprangler

HSC
It does take a while, of course, but if you really want to remember a vocabulary it's the way to go (Along with reading and writing as much as you can). Here's a link to some reviews of SR software if you're thinking of giving it a go: Spaced repetition learning systems (SRS).

Last edited:

0bs3n3

HSC
How do you teach yourself?

I know tiny bits of German here and there, but how can I expand it without getting taught?

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC

German is easy for english speakers to pick up (and vice versa) because the words/ sentence structures are so similar. They're about as close as two languages can get without being dialects.

I am learning Chinese Mandarin.
Doing Chinese at tafe because I wanna visit northern china. After that, I'm looking to brush up on my norwegian because I feel a bit guilty about not speaking it since coming to Australia.

louy

HSC
N/A
I have been using learn chinese audio's with transcripts.

But I have been very lazy with them and progress had been a little slow. Thankfully, I had a secondment to HK and Macau 5 months, and now on a longer project in Singapore. Being forced to pick up Chinese language skills has helped me to make quicker progress.

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
yup. i use bkyi express program.

i'm doing german and danish mainly.

i also have french, russian and swedish on there but i dont really learn it. i haven't touched it since i downloaded it.

the french is only there if ive forgotten a word or something coz i did it for the hsc

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
is it possible to learn a language from choosing it as an elective, even if u dont major in it?
because id love to learn spanish :)

philphie

Banned
HSC
do an arts degree and do whatever you want, even an elective on how to make an elective

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
im doing commerce/science at syd next year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)