making up stats, cases, media in legal essay? (1 Viewer)

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC
Um...I'm aware...just saying legal markers OR teachers will have an understanding of real vs fake cases. They might not pick up everything, true, but you can't guarantee they will just assume it's correct because you wrote it down.
P.s. Why is everyone so hostile on this thread?
yeah true, my teacher marked last year and she said for some you can just tell the cases etc. are bullshit because they do it in the most stupid way possible.

kirstyanne-xx

HSC
Yeah obviously if you say the Human Rights Act of 1975 they are going to know haha, but say if you forget half the name of the case e.g. the recent reforms in Family Law, you can refer to them as the 2011 reforms to the Family Law Act 1975 as opposed to remembering all the brackets.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Maaaate, i'm not spending my Sunday arvo arguing with some basement dweller. Cya
lol, because i caught you out on your over reaction to and misinterpretation of what i said i have to be 'some basement dweller'. Nice.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I havent cheated at university but I guess its fair to say that my justification was weak. I did it to get a better mark, but that does not make me any less proud. The OP asked whether or not its a good idea to use fake cases and media reports and I think that it is, ethical issues aside.
I never said you cheated at university. I said you cheated to get into university (such as it is).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah obviously if you say the Human Rights Act of 1975 they are going to know haha, but say if you forget half the name of the case e.g. the recent reforms in Family Law, you can refer to them as the 2011 reforms to the Family Law Act 1975 as opposed to remembering all the brackets.
Yeah, I don't think maycat and I were referring to people who know something more or less, but just forgot the details. In which case, having a guess that the Racial Discrimination Act was 1973 instead of 1975 is fine - that's just you not getting it right.

But consciously preparing to make up cases in an exam is never a good idea.

kirstyanne-xx

HSC
Yeah under exam pressure it's hard to remember specific details. My advice, take in easy to remember cases and legislation - even better if you can use them in a couple of essays. E.g. the UN CROC convention can be applicable to human rights and family law.

kirstyanne-xx

HSC
You shouldnt fake legislation. Cases and media reports are different. There isnt "hostility" on this thread, the discussion has gone off on a tangent about the ethics of cheating in the HSC which is very topical.
I know lol.
And true.

jamesruserox

small member
HSC
Question: when these fools are found out to be cheating, do they get an appeal? or is it automatic 0?

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
I made up a few quotes in my Modern History trial and still got a band 6, and I plan to on Tuesday as well :)

My teacher is also a senior Mod History marker..sooooo =\

acemusic415

HSC
I personally don't see the problem in remembering cases, legislation and media articles. I found so many that I had to pick and choose which were relevant. Having said that, I did make up one case law up as in the case existed but I forgot its title.

HSC
I make up statistics and cases all the time. The best way to do it is to ambiguously name the cases. call it rVcrown or something like that; don't be specific.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You do realise the R and Crown are the same thing right? So the Crown is prosecuting/suing itself? :rolleyes2:

dela_

HSC
N/A
I think legislation and cases shouldn't be made up.. but with media articles you'd probably get away with it

SXCBEAST

HSC
I have never ever in my life written a real media or statistic in my life and I've done very well. although cases and legislation are a bit hard to make up. Dont look up media, waste of time completely. how is the examiner going to know every single piece of news in the entire world?

SXCBEAST

HSC
You can try rationalise and justify it all you want, at the end of the day you are still nothing more than a dishonest cheat.

And that's the problem. You gained an unfair advantage over those who did do the right thing.

LOL omg, "dishonest cheat" hahahahahaha, if someone in English made up a quote that wasn't actually from the book, does that make them a dishonest cheat? The HSC is not a measure of intelligence, its a game you play. As far as I'm concerned, dishonest cheats are better described as people who plagiarise and memorise word-for-word of an essay their older sibling or tutor wrote for them. Or people who actually cheat in an exam.

SXCBEAST

HSC
I make up statistics and cases all the time. The best way to do it is to ambiguously name the cases. call it rVcrown or something like that; don't be specific.
lol R v Crown? it makes me feel so much better that I'm up against people like you :p

suling

HSC
as people say, 97% of statistics are made up.
Barney Stinson would say 83% :p

Seriously though, I guess it is a matter of personal choice whether you make up cases/statistics etc, but personally I wouldn't feel that I deserved the mark at the end of it all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)