Making your own notes (1 Viewer)

Matt2233

HSC
After being given more notes (good ones too) from a friend who has just finished the hsc, i am unsure if i should to continue to make my own set.

Would it be more beneficial to make my own notes or spend that time actually reading the ones given to me and starting to answer questions?

Cheers

HSC
from experience, make your own as well.
i found that alot more beneficial but everyone is different i guess.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Make your own notes, then add bits and pieces from your friends if something is unclear, or wherever you see fit.

philphie

Banned
HSC
making your own notes means unintentional memorising.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You should make your own, but that doesn't mean you can't adapt from pre-existing notes.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Also on the topic of notes, hand written or typed? Whats the best?

philphie

Banned
HSC
Also on the topic of notes, hand written or typed? Whats the best?

i hand write all my notes. on the day before my hsc exams started my pc tower overheated and it was completely dead so i was lucky to have all my resources in hard copy

waller

HSC
making your own notes means unintentional memorising.
exactly

So spending the time making your own notes is pretty much the same as or even better than "actually reading the ones given to me . Also if you make your own notes you can get them from a variety of sources so it's basically a composite of all the good things about each.

swathard

HSC
Everyone has different styles of using/making notes. Some people benefit from using other peoples notes, others by making their own. Some prefer hand-written notes, others prefer typed notes. Find whatever suits you, and do it.

Hope that helps! :)

kfnmpah

HSC
summarise the notes you've been given
highlight/annotate the notes and start using them in practice exams, like an 'open book' test
then, start doing practice tests without them

BUT word of warning, don't get too comfortable with the syllabus as i think (judging from this years exam formats) the Board of Studies is really pushing for application of knowledge, not just vomiting up the syllabus. REALLY UNDERSTAND THE NOTES!

mtsmahia

HSC
personally, i get a collection of notes (from BOS) and textbooks and grab bits and pieces (the good bit obviously :spin:) then collate them and hand write my own notes.

But if your writing notes , i strongly recommend that u write them in your own words as they sink in much better that way. :D , at least for me :eek:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Make your own notes OR edit the notes you were given if you are like me and have to change everything anyway.

I type my notes as my handwriting is quite messy, it's easier to edit and i just save it everywhere (email, upload it online and UBS) incase my computer crashes. It's good practise to save your HSC work everywhere possible...

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
of course its better to make your own notes
use other people's notes as a guide
but you should always make your own

remember that you memorise your notes while you make them
its the process not the notes themselves

now go and make your own notes!

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC
of course its better to make your own notes
use other people's notes as a guide
but you should always make your own

remember that you memorise your notes while you make them
its the process not the notes themselves

now go and make your own notes!
+1 remember that you are making notes from a variety of sources, and as far as you should be concerned, your friends notes are simply another source to perfect your own summaries.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Make notes. Write them by hand, so you write faster and remember them better. I made notes for the whole course three times over the year, usually compiling 'perfect notes' with three or four textbooks, school notes and the internet.

In hindsight, I should've just did really short summarised notes and used teh spare time to do exam Qs.

speedofsound

HSC
Make your own notes, then add bits and pieces from your friends if something is unclear, or wherever you see fit.
this.

this is my personal preference, i just find that i cannot study off of other people's notes. i need to write my own up in order to gain a greater understanding of what i'm learning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)