Module B Hate Thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
I did the transformation of Hamlet as a whole and how in the end he's recognised as a hero by his foil, which in this case in Fortinbras. I didn't really concentrate on a single theme, but this maturity aspect of Hamlet the character as a whole.
Yay I focused on Hamlet too! But I mainly analysed the extract instead of the whole conclusion but hopefully I conveyed enough so that I don't get marked down :s

Lumix

HSC
Yeh module B was really unexpected. I didn't prepare Suu Kyi's speech but I still remember the key ideas in the speech and some quotes. Managed to bullshit my way through with help from the extract. The extract helped heaps to be honest. If I didnt have the extract I would have been really fucked over.

abc123yoyo

HSC
I'm not trying to sound discouraging, but Module B is really showing the change which BOS is trying to make in the HSC.

Over the past so many years, HSC English had only been this literary analysis about the how, but look at this Module B question, it is fantastic. They are asking us to stop and think, to think about the wider considerations and the texts and possibility of further development in your judgment of the text after reading the extract on the top of the page. That the exam itself is not telling us to write our essay immediately without any considerations of changes in your judgment, but they actually go, hey okay, after this reading this does this change your judgment? You can back up your judgment bit by bit of the play, and talk about the extract itself.

God I seriously love this question, it's not so much about the HOW anymore. But it is now about the greater meaning and philosophy within the text. Shifting really to an extension 1 level of analysis, which is why and you use the how to back it up. This question is a thinking question, one which requires reflection, not memory.
I hated the question english advance should stick to english advance

themanman

HSC
N/A
Re: wtf are Module B man..........

Im hoping for the poem questions that since it said "how does the end stanza of ... " it lets you only talk about the last stanza and compare to other poems you've studied properly. Regardless, poems have to be scaled up cause that's ridiculous; anyone that did Hamlet is fucking lucky.
no this is wrong

your thesis is shaped on the last stanza

but you are meant to analyse the TEXT TYPE as a whole

hence it said

"How does TEXT (something about) fitting in with all the others"

I did orwell...

so i said that
Why I Write sets out his propitious aims as a literary savant
and that these aims permeate his writing

your meant to look at it holistically

isabellatres

HSC
Uni Grad
In Hamlet, I was fucked, because I didn't know ANY quotes on the last scene, but I knew a lot about gender roles and patriachy, so I just said: "The final scenes on Hamlet had a limited impact on my understanding of the play as a whole, as I felt that the body of the play was the most essential part in the development of my judgement."

And then I just ranted about misogyny and Ophelia dying. Oh, and said the first time Gertrude disobeys Claudius in drinking for the poisoned cup, she Dies. PATRIACHY!

Hopefully they don't pick up the made up quotes, even if they were authentically Shakespearean...

BornToHula

HSC
N/A
Everyone's shitty response to Hamlet makes me feel better about speeches. I think the problem was that I spent that whole essay worrying about the fact that I didn't know the whole speech, when that part of the speech was all that I needed.

engie_benji

HSC
can someone tell me what they think about the main point of my answer for module B speeches. It told us to make a 'judgement'. I kept linking similarities between suu kyi and atwood who protest for womens freedom, and then highlighted the difficulty in making personal judgement of the speeches effectiveness due to living in a post feminist world and having no experience of the days when women categorisation and stereotypes were the 'norm'

ZachBC_94

HSC
Re: Module B - too specific?

I did Hamlet and talked about how the ending is integral in how Shakespeare re appropriates the tragic genre. Because it didn't specify thematic concerns I turned it into a genre study :D

mirakon

nigga
HSC
It was fucked.

To actually answer the question properly required SO much bullshitting, especially for Speeches and the poems...
No it didn't require bullshitting. It required intelligence instead of regurgitating an essay a tutor had made. I often despise BoS decisions, but I give credit where credit is due and that was an excellent question to eliminate those students who just memorise and regurgitate prepared responses but actually have no understanding of their text.

S_A_M_U_t

HSC
Haha, Module B.... I bs'd about how Harwood "Overcomes the law of nature through the use of memories and imagination." Linked it in with A Valediction. I'll be surprised with an 8/20.... -_-

smartalec

HSC
looking back, it wasn't TOO bad. like super hard but not ridiculous. the bad part about them, im talking specifically about Hamlet is that BOS fails to remember that we are super nervous when we enter the exam room and also have like no time to write a suitable essay in the timeframe.
for me i panicked, let it till last. came back to it. Aprox 30 minutes to write it...manage to get something flowing and its pens down -.-

jamesfirst

HSC
Haha, Module B.... I bs'd about how Harwood "Overcomes the law of nature through the use of memories and imagination." Linked it in with A Valediction. I'll be surprised with an 8/20.... -_-
I didn't do any linking... I didn't see the need to ??

But I talked about

- Indentation: she refers to her memories to make sense of the ephemeral nature of life. I.e mortality and the transience of time
- Nostalgic tone (i think): again referring to the past but how this memory is portrayed as a joyful experience

that's it..................... omg. I should have wrote more because I could.

NubMuncher

HSC

no this is wrong

your thesis is shaped on the last stanza

but you are meant to analyse the TEXT TYPE as a whole

hence it said

"How does TEXT (something about) fitting in with all the others"

I did orwell...

so i said that
Why I Write sets out his propitious aims as a literary savant
and that these aims permeate his writing

your meant to look at it holistically
Not really sure what you're saying here or whether it is relevant for the Yeats question . We were taught that through the critical study of his poems, we find that his work is timeless and this is what I used as my thesis, suggesting that this notion is shaped by my personal reading of the final stanza of Among School Children, which vastly differs from the common reading of the poem as a reflection on youth and time. But I really don't know if this was ok ....

KateSinead

HSC

I did Harwood, and I could not even comprehend what the question was asking me when i was reading it through in the exam. Question seems to make more sense for Hamlet, but hardly made sense at all for Harwood I thought.
Just bs the whole thing. Talked about her use of universal themes throughout all poems to make them relevant to anyone :/ had no idea

NubMuncher

HSC
No it didn't require bullshitting. It required intelligence instead of regurgitating an essay a tutor had made. I often despise BoS decisions, but I give credit where credit is due and that was an excellent question to eliminate those students who just memorise and regurgitate prepared responses but actually have no understanding of their text.
I 100% agree with this, but I still feel those doing Hamlet were better off as it is still ONE text, which i presume has a common idea running throughout, whereas those doing speeches/poems had a variety of texts to learn that address different issues.... Hopefully it is reflected in the aligning!

Glorious

HSC
In Hamlet, I was fucked, because I didn't know ANY quotes on the last scene, but I knew a lot about gender roles and patriachy, so I just said: "The final scenes on Hamlet had a limited impact on my understanding of the play as a whole, as I felt that the body of the play was the most essential part in the development of my judgement."

And then I just ranted about misogyny and Ophelia dying. Oh, and said the first time Gertrude disobeys Claudius in drinking for the poisoned cup, she Dies. PATRIACHY!

Hopefully they don't pick up the made up quotes, even if they were authentically Shakespearean...
Hopefully you don't get my teacher marking your paper because he basically knows nearly every quote, lol. He can randomly just recite a soliloquy for you. Plus, it's very risky to have made them up...
Good luck!

smartalec

HSC
haha spoke to my friend who did speeches as their critical study. awkward moment when their teacher tells them that they will only be focusing on 3 of them because that's all they needed. Imagine their shock when they saw the question was specific and had NO idea what the specified speech was about. bad teaching right there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)