Module B Hate Thread (1 Viewer)

Lumix

HSC
looking back, it wasn't TOO bad. like super hard but not ridiculous. the bad part about them, im talking specifically about Hamlet is that BOS fails to remember that we are super nervous when we enter the exam room and also have like no time to write a suitable essay in the timeframe.
for me i panicked, let it till last. came back to it. Aprox 30 minutes to write it...manage to get something flowing and its pens down -.-
True, 40 minutes is not enough for most people to write a proper response rather than a superficial one. This is why the majority of students regurgitate essays. I know some of you are genius and probably going to bitch about me for whinging but not everyone is able think on the spot so quickly like that.

jamesfirst

HSC
Re: wtf are Module B man..........

I did Harwood, and I could not even comprehend what the question was asking me when i was reading it through in the exam. Question seems to make more sense for Hamlet, but hardly made sense at all for Harwood I thought.
Just bs the whole thing. Talked about her use of universal themes throughout all poems to make them relevant to anyone :/ had no idea
I think it was asking what themes are associated with the final stanza of the Violets and how it is represented within her poems as a whole.

Basically meaning, you have to analyse the themes conveyed in the final stanza of the Violets.

jamesfirst

HSC
haha spoke to my friend who did speeches as their critical study. awkward moment when their teacher tells them that they will only be focusing on 3 of them because that's all they needed. Imagine their shock when they saw the question was specific and had NO idea what the specified speech was about. bad teaching right there.
Yeah I guess... but then again, the HSC has never asked for a specific text so yeah .........

ZachBC_94

HSC
I said that Gertrude knew that the cup was poisoned... Her disobedience and death was on purpose directly attempting to save her son and atone for her insensitive actions earlier in the play

jamesfirst

HSC
True, 40 minutes is not enough for most people to write a proper response rather than a superficial one. This is why the majority of students regurgitate essays. I know some of you are genius and probably going to bitch about me for whinging but not everyone is able think on the spot so quickly like that.
True... I was even struggling with a prepared one on my final essay.

Because I was soooooooo tired and my hand was sore like hell.

KateSinead

HSC
Defiantly agree with this. I am fine at writing an essay from a question we a given as an assessment task, and usually get pretty good marks. But when it comes to writing one in 40 minutes, it takes me the full 40 minutes to actually write the whole thing let alone enough time to plan and ponder the question

S_A_M_U_t

HSC
I didn't do any linking... I didn't see the need to ??

But I talked about

- Indentation: she refers to her memories to make sense of the ephemeral nature of life. I.e mortality and the transience of time
- Nostalgic tone (i think): again referring to the past but how this memory is portrayed as a joyful experience

that's it..................... omg. I should have wrote more because I could.
Yeah, it didn't say you had to link. I just did it because I didn't prepare for 'The Violets' (Even thought it was the one I chose it as one of my four I was going to use).... I also used the indentation to show her going back in time, blah, blah.... That she overcomes the limitations of time through her use of vivid imagery and sensory language.... This overcoming of the laws of nature is evident in 'A Valediction' through the power of imagination where the unity of flesh and spirit is portrayed blah, blah, blah.... Lmao, I'm gonna fail.... Hard.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
That's the point though. The HSC would hardly be a good indicator of your level if it didn't separate the good from the not so good.

KateSinead

HSC

I think it was asking what themes are associated with the final stanza of the Violets and how it is represented within her poems as a whole.

Basically meaning, you have to analyse the themes conveyed in the final stanza of the Violets.
Yeah i did kinda link in how she used the same themes in violets as she does in all her poems. But i actually did the Violets as one of my chosen texts i was going to talk about, so i was talking about the whole poem rather than just the end :/

jamesfirst

HSC
Yeah, it didn't say you had to link. I just did it because I didn't prepare for 'The Violets' (Even thought it was the one I chose it as one of my four I was going to use).... I also used the indentation to show her going back in time, blah, blah.... That she overcomes the limitations of time through her use of vivid imagery and sensory language.... This overcoming of the laws of nature is evident in 'A Valediction' through the power of imagination where the unity of flesh and spirit is portrayed blah, blah, blah.... Lmao, I'm gonna fail.... Hard.
Also, from my memory from 6 months ago Violets are motif that symbolises her acceptance of mortality...

jamesfirst

HSC

Yeah i did kinda link in how she used the same themes in violets as she does in all her poems. But i actually did the Violets as one of my chosen texts i was going to talk about, so i was talking about the whole poem rather than just the end :/
You are meant to. So you should get a good mark.

Glorious

HSC
What would you regard as detailed exactly?
The nature of existence and justice. Okay, here you could focus on Yorick's skull maybe? and How that opens up a new dimension to Hamlet's thinking, where Shakespeare uses Hamlet as a Renaissance man who gains experience and fear of death and afterlife, however, ensures that towards the end he is more open to dying for his own beliefs > thus you could tie this to the idea of corruption in Denmark and all which has led to his demise into insanity - including his mother's improper actions (mysogyny) hence his spiritual values here being the ultimate factor giving us an insight about the nature of Hamlet's existence. Justice could also be seen as I said earlier about the poison being the representation of his ability to notice that the "Rest is silence". I used this as a possible allusion to God's will-power to silently subdue those who were corrupt in Denmark, like Claudius, so that despite Hamlet's source of inaction, this may give him the sense of fulfillment after all that justice may correspond to the means of God revenging his enemy?

S_A_M_U_t

HSC

I did Harwood, and I could not even comprehend what the question was asking me when i was reading it through in the exam. Question seems to make more sense for Hamlet, but hardly made sense at all for Harwood I thought.
Just bs the whole thing. Talked about her use of universal themes throughout all poems to make them relevant to anyone :/ had no idea

I think the question was asking how the final stanza of 'The Violets' is evident of themes seen everywhere in Harwood's poetry. I thought it was easy cause 'The Violets' actually relates to most of her poems, hence it's popularity with students, as well as the BOS using it as a set poem for the exam.... I only ever encountered an essay question like this ONCE, and it was for my half-yearly.... It was "To what extent does Harwood explore the tension within The Violets and ONE other poem?" Grrr.... Never in my life did I think I would ever encounter a question like that in the HSC.... But Paper 2's question was actually alright....

jamesfirst

HSC

I think the question was asking how the final stanza of 'The Violets' is evident of themes seen everywhere in Harwood's poetry. I thought it was easy cause 'The Violets' actually relates to most of her poems, hence it's popularity with students, as well as the BOS using it as a set poem for the exam.... I only ever encountered an essay question like this ONCE, and it was for my half-yearly.... It was "To what extent does Harwood explore the tension within The Violets and ONE other poem?" Grrr.... Never in my life did I think I would ever encounter a question like that in the HSC.... But Paper 2's question was actually alright....

I should have prepared 1 related for module C... I don't know why I chose a second one but I still wrote 980. so nice.

for Harwood, I did

Valediction: maturation through experience
Triste, triste: maturation through experience
Sharpness of death: maturation and acceptance of the transience of time through experience and memory
Violets: maturation and the transience of time through memory

But I didn't write that much for violets tbh... because I didn't have time

Last edited:

acemusic415

HSC
I personally think for the question on Hamlet, it was vague enough for you to get away with a response that encompassed themes. But don't take my word on it. I continuously referred back to the source, citing them in my topic sentences and during my analysis.

S_A_M_U_t

HSC

I should have prepared 1 related for module C... I don't know why I chose a second one but I still wrote 980. so nice.

for Harwood, I did

Valediction: maturation through experience
Triste, triste: maturation through experience
Sharpness of death: maturation and acceptance of the transience of the through experience and memory
Violets: maturation and the transience of time through memory

But I didn't write that much for violets tbh... because I didn't have time
I pretty much did the same.... Except for 'The Sharpness of Death'.... I loved 'Triste, triste' and 'A Valediction'.... I hated 'At Mornington' and 'The Violets', cause that's what everyone uses, and the reason why I studied Triste and Valediction in-depth.

I was gonna do what you did (Not write much about 'The Violets') but I re-read the question and it said "make detailed...." or something like that. I had to bs about the first half of the poem because I couldn't remember anything from it. WWWHHHHYYYY??!?!?

jamesfirst

HSC

I pretty much did the same.... Except for 'The Sharpness of Death'.... I loved 'Triste, triste' and 'A Valediction'.... I hated 'At Mornington' and 'The Violets', cause that's what everyone uses, and the reason why I studied Triste and Valediction in-depth.

I was gonna do what you did (Not write much about 'The Violets') but I re-read the question and it said "make detailed...." or something like that. I had to bs about the first half of the poem because I couldn't remember anything from it. WWWHHHHYYYY??!?!?
Well I couldn't bull shit because I wrote detailed memorised essay and had a little time to squeeze in the Violets

sophielee169

HSC
well to the many who predicted that mod b would be a shitfest this year, you were right =P

probably max i can get is like 15/20 but then i was never really good for mod B anyway heh

also a teacher (who marked mod B before) said that you don't need to say "I" or "my" in your essay, as long as you make it clear that it is your personal interpretation (if that makes any sense, lol)
i agree completely with what you're saying.. or what your teacher said. as long as you make a judgement then its clearly your own judgement and your own interpretation.. when have you ever had to write 'i' in an essay? thats not an essay at all..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)