MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
The best way to find an answer to that question is to compare the subjects you study in each major. You can find this in the "What you will study" tab of each major, under the respective degrees. If the subjects are the same, then yes, you should receive credit for them when you transfer.

onur91

HSC
N/A
Greetings.

Say if a person was doing a B of Arts and one of their majors was international business. After some time, they successfully transfer to B of Commerce - a degree which also has a international business major. Is it the same? Do the credits from completing international business in B of Arts carry over to B of Commerce?
B Commerce - Int business. I am doing this, and it is absolutely horrible and soul crushing. Do marketing instead, much better.
Also, i doubt YOU of all people would be comfortable in international business (90% international students, from China and Korea)

LonelyWolf

HSC
The best way to find an answer to that question is to compare the subjects you study in each major. You can find this in the "What you will study" tab of each major, under the respective degrees. If the subjects are the same, then yes, you should receive credit for them when you transfer.
Yes. That was exactly what I was looking for. Some differences though:

B of Commerce - International Business Major:

Accounting IA (3)

Accounting Information for Decision-Making (3)

Microeconomic Principles (3)

Marketing Fundamentals (3)

Introductory Statistics (3)

Statistical Data Analysis (3)

Design and Statistics I (3)

Introduction to International Business (3)

International Business Operations (3)

Global Marketing (3)

International Business Project (3)

Business Policy (3)

Global Business, Society and Environment (3)

Asian Business Environment (3)

Cross Cultural Management (3)

B of Arts - International Business Major:

Accounting IA (3)

Accounting Information for Decision-Making (3)

Microeconomic Principles (3)

Marketing Fundamentals (3)

Introductory Statistics (3)

Statistical Data Analysis (3)

Design and Statistics I (3)

Introduction to Global Business (3)

International Business Operations (3)

Global Marketing (3)

International Business Project (3)

Global Business Strategy (3)

Global Business, Society and Environment (3)

Asian Business Environment (3)

Cross Cultural Management (3)

----

Some of the subjects are different, would that mean it is not possible to get the credit transfer? Or would they 'overlook' it seeing the near whole of the Majors are the exact same?

I noticed that differences in the same Major subjects are exactly like the example above.

B Commerce - Int business. I am doing this, and it is absolutely horrible and soul crushing. Do marketing instead, much better.
Also, i doubt YOU of all people would be comfortable in international business (90% international students, from China and Korea)
What's so bad about it?

I thought you were going to say that it would make me uncomfortable due to me 'learning' about chinese and japanese business and whatnot. Need I remind you - I am not a racist, and do not live in some gated off whites only community far from non whites. Going to MacQ should give you a rough idea of where I live and my choices, seeing as though I've lived in the area my entire life it should obviously reveal to you that I have been deeply emerged in multiculturalism my entire life.

----

What majors did you guys do? What ones are the most enjoyable and practical once graduated?

ameher

HSC
[/QUOTE]What majors did you guys do? What ones are the most enjoyable and practical once graduated?[/QUOTE]

I major in accounting, which is quite enjoyable, gets really practical and interesting as you go along the degree. I think finance is also quite a good major, along with marketing, but accounting isnt as bad as people make it out to be, once you do 2nd and 3rd yr accounting you realise how enjoyable it can be, and how many doors it can open up career wise.

rayy_bann

HSC
hey guys, can you please help me out?

I just got accepted into Bachelor Commerce/Bachelor of Laws in Macquarie.

I want to start my timetable, but am confused.

Do I first need to do those courses 100 level since I'm only first year? And when do I have to get my timetable done by?

I'm so confused I read the handbook from Macq and watched all the Vodcasts related to enrolling/timetables but I'm still confused.

Will I be too late? Will all the spots be taken?

ameher

HSC

Do I first need to do those courses 100 level since I'm only first year? And when do I have to get my timetable done by?

I'm so confused I read the handbook from Macq and watched all the Vodcasts related to enrolling/timetables but I'm still confused.

Well yes you need to do 100 level units to start off with. When you go to your on campus enrollment session everything regarding class times will be sorted out so dont worry about being late, trust me on that. What major are you doing for commerce?
In my first semester i did:
BBA102: Principles of Management
ACST101: Techniques and Elements of Finance
LAW115: Foundations of Law
ACCG100: Accounting IA

Second Semester:
MKTG101: Marketing Fundamentals
ACCG101: Accounting 1B
LAW109: Criminal Law
ECON111: Microeconomic Principles

The above is just a guide as to what units i did in my first year doing the bcom/llb degree with an accounting major (hence the reason i did accounting 1b in the second semester).

rayy_bann

HSC
Well yes you need to do 100 level units to start off with. When you go to your on campus enrollment session everything regarding class times will be sorted out so dont worry about being late, trust me on that. What major are you doing for commerce?

Second Semester:

The above is just a guide as to what units i did in my first year doing the bcom/llb degree with an accounting major (hence the reason i did accounting 1b in the second semester).
Hey thanks for the reply!

But I see that you haven't done ALL of your 100 level units in first year. So does that mean you continue on to the second year with having yet to finish 100 level units?

And can I ask, do you have to do more Law units that Commerce Units or the other way around, OR is it just your choice. If so, what do you recommend?

And I see that you have 4 units per semester. As a combined law student at Macq, what is the average amounts of units per semester? Do people HAVE to do 4? or do some do 3/5?

thanks!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Hiya, first of all stop stressing, at the moment all you need to do is plan your timetable so that when you go into uni and get your academic advice/enrol it will be a quick and easy affair and you'll hopefully get the tutorial times you want. No one (not even continuing students) has actually picked classes yet, so all the good spots haven't been taken at all.

I'm not sure at what stage this happens but you should have/will received a date and time to go into uni for academic advice and enrolment. Pretty much what happens is that you go in and have your timetable checked by an academic adviser (to make sure your not taking anything your not supposed to) and then you will be taken to a computer lab where someone will help you actually enrol into the units and class times that you picked. So what you want to do is have your preferred time table ready to go so you can get it checked out and get enrolled nice and quickly, some people show up on the day without having done this and end up spending hours at uni figuring out what to do.

If you look up your degree in the hand book you'll see all the requirements: http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/...+Commerce+with+the+degree+of+Bachelor+of+Laws

As a first year student, you should be taking 100 level units. So pretty much, have a look at the 100 level units in the above link and pick ones that you like. Most students will take 4 units a semester, but if you want to do less that's fine (i personally only do 3 a semester, this is the minimum you can do and still be considered a full time student, less then 3 and you're part time), you need to make sure that the units you pick are evenly spaced across two semesters. You can see if a unit runs in semester 1 or semester 2 by by clicking on the unit code in the above link and looking at 'When offered'. For example ACST101 says 'D1 - Day; Offered in Session 1, North Ryde', so it's offered in semester 1. You need to pick 4 100lvl units for semester 1 and 4 100lvl units for semester 2.

Once you have picked your units, go to the timetable site: https://timetables.mq.edu.au/2012/
Here you simply pick the relevant semester (to the left of the page, either session 1 or session 2) enter the code of your unit, enter the time (for you just say 'all week') and the type of format you want the timetable (i think 'grid' is easiest to understand). Then you can see the times of the lectures and tutorials and pick your preferred times. To know exactly what you need to be picking, above the grid it says 'This unit has a teaching structure of ....'. Say it says 'This unit has a teaching structure of Lecture_1 and Tutorial_1', this means you need to pick one lecture time and one tutorial time (it's best to to pick a tutorial time after your lecture). Since the timetable maker only lets you do one unit at a time it can be a good idea to have excel open or something to note down your preferred times as you go through each unit.

This is just general advice on how to pick units and make a timetable, i don't really know anything about your degree, so maybe someone else can help you out with what the best units to take might be. Remember, even if you screw your timetable up someone will help you sort it out when you go in for academic advice/enrolment.

Last edited:

rayy_bann

HSC

Second Semester:

Oh yes I forgot to answer, I'm still tossing up with Accounting, finance and Int. Business as major. But as long as I can figure out how to go about establishing a timetable, I'll choose a major.

Anyways, I forgot to ask, I am able to already make my timetable through macquarie website right? and then during enrolment day, I just need Macquarie teachers to accept it?

ameher

HSC
Hey thanks for the reply!

But I see that you haven't done ALL of your 100 level units in first year. So does that mean you continue on to the second year with having yet to finish 100 level units?

And can I ask, do you have to do more Law units that Commerce Units or the other way around, OR is it just your choice. If so, what do you recommend?

And I see that you have 4 units per semester. As a combined law student at Macq, what is the average amounts of units per semester? Do people HAVE to do 4? or do some do 3/5?

thanks!
No worries mate. Well firstly,yes you can continue on to second year if you havent completed all your 100 level units, as you have the ability to them in your second year, along with 200 level units that you have fulfilled the criteria for in your second year, so no you dont need to do all your 100 level units in the first year, you can do some in your second year.

Well in the first yr you generally do 2 LAW units, then 4 LAW units in the second and 3rd year, while it may seem your doing less law subjects, you are doing more commerce subjects which in turn allows you to finish the commerce side of your degree by the end of your third year (as i did last year). This leaves you with your 4th and 5th year where you will do 8 LAW subjects each year to finish off the combined degree.

Generally people do 4-units each semester, however some like to do 3 as they go on as the workload for law subjects can be high, but generally speaking every full time student does 4. If you have any other questions let me know, i was a student mentor at uni last yr.

ameher

HSC
Hiya, first of all stop stressing, at the moment all you need to do is plan your timetable so that when you go into uni and get your academic advice/enrol it will be a quick and easy affair and you'll hopefully get the tutorial times you want. No one (not even continuing students) has actually picked classes yet, so all the good spots haven't been taken at all.

I'm not sure at what stage this happens but you should have/will received a date and time to go into uni for academic advice and enrolment. Pretty much what happens is that you go in and have your timetable checked by an academic adviser (to make sure your not taking anything your not supposed to) and then you will be taken to a computer lab where someone will help you actually enrol into the units and class times that you picked. So what you want to do is have your preferred time table ready to go so you can get it checked out and get enrolled nice and quickly, some people show up on the day without having done this and end up spending hours at uni figuring out what to do.

If you look up your degree in the hand book you'll see all the requirements: http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/...+Commerce+with+the+degree+of+Bachelor+of+Laws

As a first year student, you should be taking 100 level units. So pretty much, have a look at the 100 level units in the above link and pick ones that you like. Most students will take 4 units a semester, but if you want to do less that's fine (i personally only do 3 a semester, this is the minimum you can do and still be considered a full time student, less then 3 and you're part time), you need to make sure that the units you pick are evenly spaced across two semesters. You can see if a unit runs in semester 1 or semester 2 by by clicking on the unit code in the above link and looking at 'When offered'. For example ACST101 says 'D1 - Day; Offered in Session 1, North Ryde', so it's offered in semester 1. You need to pick 4 100lvl units for semester 1 and 4 100lvl units for semester 2.

Once you have picked your units, go to the timetable site: https://timetables.mq.edu.au/2012/
Here you simply pick the relevant semester (to the left of the page, either session 1 or session 2) enter the code of your unit, enter the time (for you just say 'all week') and the type of format you want the timetable (i think 'grid' is easiest to understand). Then you can see the times of the lectures and tutorials and pick your preferred times. To know exactly what you need to be picking, above the grid it says 'This unit has a teaching structure of ....'. Say it says 'This unit has a teaching structure of Lecture_1 and Tutorial_1', this means you need to pick one lecture time and one tutorial time (it's best to to pick a tutorial time after your lecture). Since the timetable maker only lets you do one unit at a time it can be a good idea to have excel open or something to note down your preferred times as you go through each unit.

This is just general advice on how to pick units and make a timetable, i don't really know anything about your degree, so maybe someone else can help you out with what the best units to take might be. Remember, even if you screw your timetable up someone will help you sort it out when you go in for academic advice/enrolment.
Excellent post, explained the whole process really well!

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey -May-cat-,

Thanks so much for having the time to write so much in reply! You helped me quite alot! :D

But I'm also wondering (as I have asked ameher), do students still enter 2nd year doing 100 level units? Or are they expected to have finished that by then?

And I don't know if you can answer this, so if you can't don't bother, but since I'm doing a combined Commerce and Laws degree, do I specifically have to have say, more Laws units during a semester? (or vice versa)?
Or do people's timetables vary significantly, with the implication that one can choose any selection of units they want in their semesters?

AMEHER, please please feel free to answer this too :D

Thanks so much guys :)

ameher

HSC
Hey -May-cat-,

Thanks so much for having the time to write so much in reply! You helped me quite alot! :D

But I'm also wondering (as I have asked ameher), do students still enter 2nd year doing 100 level units? Or are they expected to have finished that by then?

And I don't know if you can answer this, so if you can't don't bother, but since I'm doing a combined Commerce and Laws degree, do I specifically have to have say, more Laws units during a semester? (or vice versa)?
Or do people's timetables vary significantly, with the implication that one can choose any selection of units they want in their semesters?

AMEHER, please please feel free to answer this too :D

Thanks so much guys :)
Thats basically it, and in regards to your first question i did a 100 level unit in my second year, so its fine, i even know people in their 3rd year who did a 100 level unit last yr just because they kept putting it off lol so its fine.

rayy_bann

HSC
No worries mate. Well firstly,yes you can continue on to second year if you havent completed all your 100 level units, as you have the ability to them in your second year, along with 200 level units that you have fulfilled the criteria for in your second year, so no you dont need to do all your 100 level units in the first year, you can do some in your second year.

Well in the first yr you generally do 2 LAW units, then 4 LAW units in the second and 3rd year, while it may seem your doing less law subjects, you are doing more commerce subjects which in turn allows you to finish the commerce side of your degree by the end of your third year (as i did last year). This leaves you with your 4th and 5th year where you will do 8 LAW subjects each year to finish off the combined degree.

Generally people do 4-units each semester, however some like to do 3 as they go on as the workload for law subjects can be high, but generally speaking every full time student does 4. If you have any other questions let me know, i was a student mentor at uni last yr.
Ohhh I'm starting to understand now, thanks! But I'm still confused as you said you did 2 Law units each year but didn't you do much more than that?
If you can kindly refer to this link, I'm quite unsure if level 100 units are actually law units (as you have taken in 1st semester/2nd semester) or are they commerce units. http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/...+Commerce+with+the+degree+of+Bachelor+of+Laws

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
OH one more thing, when picking your units make sure you also pay attention to the pre-requisites, if you haven't met these you can't take the unit. You can find the pre-requisites of a unit underneath the 'when offered' section on a unit page.

ameher

HSC
Ohhh I'm starting to understand now, thanks! But I'm still confused as you said you did 2 Law units each year but didn't you do much more than that?
If you can kindly refer to this link, I'm quite unsure if level 100 units are actually law units (as you have taken in 1st semester/2nd semester) or are they commerce units. http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/...+Commerce+with+the+degree+of+Bachelor+of+Laws
All law units, have the unit code LAW beginning with it, so if the unit for example is LAW115, then you know it is a law unit and not a commerce unit, and ACCG means accounting, ACST - finance and actuarial, BBA - Managment, MKTG- Marketing and so on.

ameher

HSC
Oh yes in the first year i only did 2 LAW units becuase that is all the is available regarding LAW units that need to be completed at a 1st yr level for example those being LAW115 and LAW109.

rayy_bann

HSC
Thats basically it, and in regards to your first question i did a 100 level unit in my second year, so its fine, i even know people in their 3rd year who did a 100 level unit last yr just because they kept putting it off lol so its fine.
Oh really? So it all varies depending on the person? Oh this is all new to me. i feel so ignorant for not knowing all this and my parents got angry to me for being so clueless. I just assumed i would sail smoothly towards uni but we need to make our own timetables etc. :L

But another question, we can do say 100 level units until our later years, however it would serve as a detriment because some of these units are prerequisites for more advanced units right? So it is best to get it over and done with?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Oh really? So it all varies depending on the person? Oh this is all new to me. i feel so ignorant for not knowing all this and my parents got angry to me for being so clueless. I just assumed i would sail smoothly towards uni but we need to make our own timetables etc. :L

But another question, we can do say 100 level units until our later years, however it would serve as a detriment because some of these units are prerequisites for more advanced units right? So it is best to get it over and done with?
Haha, this is the thing about uni, now you do everything yourself =p

It's good to do 100 lvl units in your first year since they're the easiest and don't have many (if any) pre-requisites. It's not really to your detriment if you save a couple for later on if you don't need them as per-requisites for other things, they can be a really nice break from harder units in your second or third year (plus it's kind of sadistically fun to smash all the first years without trying particularly hard)

Last edited:

rayy_bann

HSC
Oh yes in the first year i only did 2 LAW units becuase that is all the is available regarding LAW units that need to be completed at a 1st yr level for example those being LAW115 and LAW109.
Omg sorry for my never ending questions! Ok I see that but you said you did:

But isn't that still law as it is still located on the Law page as opposed to the commerce majors (in your case accounting) page?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)