MQ Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ok. I was just wondering whether different majors have less assignments and exams compared to other majors.

Does anyone know the GPA required to transfer from B Arts to B Com? IIRC the number of credit points must be 12.
Each unit/subject will be different from another, that's why they're different units and not one big one. Plus you still have electives, even within majors, so you may choose a range of different subjects from someone doing the same major but still under the same broad area/major. Therefore its impossible to tell you whether one will have less assignments/exams.

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad

sanndiiee

HSC
Hello. I got offered a position in the commerce- professional accounting degree and need a bit of advice. I was just wondering if it mattered which units I put down for 1st session and 2nd. Do any of the units correlate whereby some of the content learnt in one unit might make it a bit easier to understand another unit???? There are 7 compulsory units and these are ACCG100-accounting 1A, ACCG101-accounting 1B, ACST101-techniques and elements of finance, BBA102-principles of management, ECON111-microeconomic principles, MKTG101-marketing fundamentals and STAT170-introductory statistics. Any advice on which I should do first session considering I didn't do business studies in high school only economics???????

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
Yo. Need some help here senior students :)

I got accpeted into an Applied Finance w/ Commerce-Professional Accounting degree and wanted to know what subjects you might recommend. Just kinda want a general idea as I slowly understand this complex process lol. Also with forming a timetable with a double degree what happens? Not up to that part of the enrolment process yet but got everything else done. What do we do with the Proposed Program Form and with the online PDF timetable are we supposed to write out our preferences for subjects? Also why are there two sessions?

Sorry if I sound like a tard just haven't really used my head in about 2 months :p

Can't believe E-Student is not supported on Google Chrome. Such a pain. :jedi:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Yo. Need some help here senior students :)

I got accpeted into an Applied Finance w/ Commerce-Professional Accounting degree and wanted to know what subjects you might recommend. Just kinda want a general idea as I slowly understand this complex process lol. Also with forming a timetable with a double degree what happens? Not up to that part of the enrolment process yet but got everything else done. What do we do with the Proposed Program Form and with the online PDF timetable are we supposed to write out our preferences for subjects? Also why are there two sessions?

Sorry if I sound like a tard just haven't really used my head in about 2 months :p

Can't believe E-Student is not supported on Google Chrome. Such a pain. :jedi:

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/...achelor+of+Commerce+-+Professional+Accounting

^ That link shows you the requirements for your degree. You need to pick 100 level subjects for your first year, i can't help you out with any particular subjects as i don't know anything about this particular area of study. The two sessions are semester 1 and semester 2, most students will take 4 units a semester but you can take less if you prefer (keep in mind you need at least 3 to be considered a full time student and get concession cards etc). Your proposed Program form shows the units that you have picked out to take in your first year, you take it with you to academic advice/enrollment so that an academic adviser can check it over and make sure you haven't stuffed anything up. The timetable form is where you record your preferred tutorial/lecture times for the units you picked, you bring this with you to academic advice/enrollment so that the process of enrolling will be quick and easy (since you would have already chosen your preferred classes ahead of time). As for e-student, prepare to feel rage like you have never felt before when it comes to this program, you are not a true MQ student until you say 'fuck i hate e-student' with true burning passion.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/...achelor+of+Commerce+-+Professional+Accounting

^ That link shows you the requirements for your degree. You need to pick 100 level subjects for your first year, i can't help you out with any particular subjects as i don't know anything about this particular area of study. The two sessions are semester 1 and semester 2, most students will take 4 units a semester but you can take less if you prefer (keep in mind you need at least 3 to be considered a full time student and get concession cards etc). Your proposed Program form shows the units that you have picked out to take in your first year, you take it with you to academic advice/enrollment so that an academic adviser can check it over and make sure you haven't stuffed anything up. The timetable form is where you record your preferred tutorial/lecture times for the units you picked, you bring this with you to academic advice/enrollment so that the process of enrolling will be quick and easy (since you would have already chosen your preferred classes ahead of time). As for e-student, prepare to feel rage like you have never felt before when it comes to this program, you are not a true MQ student until you say 'fuck i hate e-student' with true burning passion.
FUCK I HATE E-STUDENT WITH TRUE BURNING PASSION! Initiation complete. Am I now officially a MQ student?:awesome:

Ah the infamous handbook lol i'm so sick of it :(

Haha thanks a billion for clearing that up! Can't thank you enough! Sweet I got all the paperwork printed then and now just gotta decide on my subjects. I think the newbies coming into MQ 2012 are excited, anxious and overall a tad bit retarded but weren't we all at the beginning?

Rep up for your solid post of guidance and wisdom!

rayy_bann

HSC
(btw first year here again lol)

Hey I was just wondering, how come I am unable to create my timetable on e-student.

I already accepted my offer, already got my HECS application accepted.
I want to make my timetable through 'My Enrolment' tab on e-student but there is no option to 'enrol units'....I know there should by because I watched a podcast that had it but its not there :/ Is there something else I need to do for it to appear? :L

Anyways, will I be at detriment if I don't pick my units/make my timetable quickly? UNSW students/UTS students already are making theirs and saying I should do it or else I won't have good positions :L Is this the same at Macq

Please help, thanks!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
FUCK I HATE E-STUDENT WITH TRUE BURNING PASSION! Initiation complete. Am I now officially a MQ student?:awesome:
Doesn't count till you've been really screwed by them

(btw first year here again lol)

Hey I was just wondering, how come I am unable to create my timetable on e-student.

I already accepted my offer, already got my HECS application accepted.
I want to make my timetable through 'My Enrolment' tab on e-student but there is no option to 'enrol units'....I know there should by because I watched a podcast that had it but its not there :/ Is there something else I need to do for it to appear? :L

Anyways, will I be at detriment if I don't pick my units/make my timetable quickly? UNSW students/UTS students already are making theirs and saying I should do it or else I won't have good positions :L Is this the same at Macq

Please help, thanks!
First years can't enrol in units until they receive academic advice on campus, after you get academic advice you'll be enrolled on the spot, your job is just to have your units picked out and your preferred tutorial/lecture times chosen (with back up times if your preferred ones are full). What other people in other unis are doing has nothing to do with MQ, this is how it works here, you won't be disadvantaged.

So, first year students can ONLY do 100 Level subjects?
Not at all, you can take any unit you want so long as you meet it's pre-requisites and it fits within your degree requirements. Most first years have to do 100 level units because they don't have the pre-requisites required to do higher level units, this is why it sometimes help to generally think of 100 level correlating to first year and so on. Some first year students do in fact meet the pre-requisites for 200 level subjects simply by having been admitted into their particular degree. In the same way, there is also nothing preventing a third year student from taking a 100 level unit, so long as it fits within their degree requirements.

Last edited:

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey -may-cat- I tried looking all day but I can't find the times for the subjects? Can you please direct me so I can get my lecture times?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I did already explain how to do this, but i'll post it again:

Once you have picked your units, go to the timetable site: https://timetables.mq.edu.au/2012/
Here you simply pick the relevant semester (to the left of the page, either session 1 or session 2) enter the code of your unit, enter the time (for you just say 'all week') and the type of format you want the timetable (i think 'grid' is easiest to understand). Then you can see the times of the lectures and tutorials and pick your preferred times. To know exactly what you need to be picking, above the grid it says 'This unit has a teaching structure of ....'. Say it says 'This unit has a teaching structure of Lecture_1 and Tutorial_1', this means you need to pick one lecture time and one tutorial time (it's best to to pick a tutorial time after your lecture). Since the timetable maker only lets you do one unit at a time it can be a good idea to have excel open or something to note down your preferred times as you go through each unit.

Blizane

HSC
Hello. I got offered a position in the commerce- professional accounting degree and need a bit of advice. I was just wondering if it mattered which units I put down for 1st session and 2nd. Do any of the units correlate whereby some of the content learnt in one unit might make it a bit easier to understand another unit???? There are 7 compulsory units and these are ACCG100-accounting 1A, ACCG101-accounting 1B, ACST101-techniques and elements of finance, BBA102-principles of management, ECON111-microeconomic principles, MKTG101-marketing fundamentals and STAT170-introductory statistics. Any advice on which I should do first session considering I didn't do business studies in high school only economics???????
For those subjects, you have to do ACCG100 in Semester 1 and ACCG101 in Semester 2. As for the others, you can do them in whatever semester you want. Generally you would take a look at what semester the subjects are offered, and whether it has any prerequisites, in order to decide which semester to do them. Though I haven't done the MKTG or BBA ones, but the others don't really 'correlate' at all as far as I can remember. Another way to decide which semester to do them is take a look at the timetables, and see which subjects do (or don't) gel together nicely, i.e. lecture clashes, or having to go to uni 5 days a week.

[QUOTE="DavDav']Can't believe E-Student is not supported on Google Chrome. Such a pain.[/QUOTE]
It should still work in Chrome, just close the warning box and it's all good.

LonelyWolf

HSC
For the People and Planet units in B of Arts. Does MacQ designate a single unit for us? Or Do we choose ONLY a single People and Planet unit? Also, are these units only dealt with in the first year?

Salliea

HSC
Um...2 more questions if nobody minds >x<

1. With STAT170, I have to attend a Practical Course o_O May I ask what type of activities are done in a practical, and if I should place it after or before my lecture?

2. Does anybody see a problem with doing
Semester 1 - ACCG100 | ACST101 | MKTG101 | ECON110
Semester 2 - ACCG101 | STAT170 | BBA102 | ECON111

>__< Thank you so much you guys!!~~~ 8'D You're all life savers!!

Last edited:

Fisiks

HSC
Hello,

I'm doing commerce and i guess atm i'd say majoring in finance. After finding the relevant 100 level units from commerce and the finance major, i only have 7 units. Do i need to complete another 100 level unit (maybe the higher level STAT or alternative ACCG) or do i pick a 200 level unit so i have 8 units for the first year?

Thanks.

onur91

HSC
N/A
For the People and Planet units in B of Arts. Does MacQ designate a single unit for us? Or Do we choose ONLY a single People and Planet unit? Also, are these units only dealt with in the first year?
You only have to take one people unit and one planet unit. You can choose whichever ones you want, as long as they aren't one of the required units you have to take. Say for example, your degree required you to take ANTH106, you cannot just complete that and count it as a Planet unit. You would have to choose one that isn't required.
You can do your people and planet unit at any time within your course.

Um...2 more questions if nobody minds >x<

1. With STAT170, I have to attend a Practical Course o_O May I ask what type of activities are done in a practical, and if I should place it after or before my lecture?

2. Does anybody see a problem with doing
Semester 1 - ACCG100 | ACST101 | MKTG101 | ECON110
Semester 2 - ACCG101 | STAT170 | BBA102 | ECON111

>__< Thank you so much you guys!!~~~ 8'D You're all life savers!!
1. The STAT170 practical just involved some short weekly quiz on the computer. Wasn't too difficult, and it really wouldn't matter if it was before or after your lectures.

2. Do you have to take both Accounting units? (are they required?). If so, then it all looks fine.

sanndiiee

HSC
Thanks heaps for the reply Blizane. Really helped clear things up.

LonelyWolf

HSC
You only have to take one people unit and one planet unit. You can choose whichever ones you want, as long as they aren't one of the required units you have to take. Say for example, your degree required you to take ANTH106, you cannot just complete that and count it as a Planet unit. You would have to choose one that isn't required.
You can do your people and planet unit at any time within your course.
Righteo. Do you have to do a People and Planet unit each year, or is it just a one off thing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)