Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (2 Viewers)

HSC
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

sly fly said:
^last chance, don't bother......they don't realise what the prophet (p) means to us. They have no idea what it's like to love the prophet (p) more than your own self, more than your own family. People can come and mock me, my nationality, my political leader etc all they want, I don't really care......but mocking the person I look up to and love the most in this world, the very person who was generous and compassionate to everyone, is going too far.
You're sick. You love some dead guy more than your own family. That's woeful mate.

get_born

sly fly said:
^last chance, don't bother......they don't realise what the prophet (p) means to us. They have no idea what it's like to love the prophet (p) more than your own self, more than your own family. People can come and mock me, my nationality, my political leader etc all they want, I don't really care......but mocking the person I look up to and love the most in this world, the very person who was generous and compassionate to everyone, is going too far.
I know.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

If you cannot handle me criticising your religion, then you are in quite a dilemma. Because it is the very same laws in Australia that both allows you to practice your religion freely, and allows me to mock it.

get_born

GoodSirLancelot said:
You're sick. You love some dead guy more than your own family. That's woeful mate.
No whats sickening is your avatar and location and above all your lack of being able to respect and tolerate others...something this country has been working towards and with for a real long time - and its real unfortunate its people like you that ruin it for many.

sly fly

HSC

I love those who advocate truth, justice, mercy, compassion, patience, tolerance and forgiveness............whether it's my family or anyone else. Just because they're my family doesn't necessarily mean they're better people than others, in the same way in which just because someone shares my faith doesn't necessarily mean he is a better person than someone who doesn't.

get_born

Not-That-Bright said:
If you cannot handle me criticising your religion, then you are in quite a dilemma. Because it is the very same laws in Australia that both allows you to practice your religion freely, and allows me to mock it.
mocking a religion...any religion for the sake of someone's amusement is different to criticising and asking questions for the sake of educating ones self about it.

HSC

sly fly said:
I love those who advocate truth, justice, mercy, compassion, patience, tolerance and forgiveness............whether it's my family or anyone else. Just because they're my family doesn't necessarily mean they're better people than others, in the same way in which just because someone shares my faith doesn't necessarily mean he is a better person than someone who doesn't.
Muhammed married a girl called Aisha.

From wikipedia

Most Muslim scholars have accepted the tradition that Aisha was nine years old when the marriage was consummated. This has in turn led critics to denounce Muhammad for having sexual relations with a girl so young, which in modern times would be classified as child sexual abuse.

Evidence of age nine at consummation

These traditions are from the hadith collections of Bukhari (d. 870) and Muslim b. al-Hajjaj (d. 875). These two collections are regarded as the most authentic by Sunni Muslims.

* Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3310: 'Aisha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) married me when I was six years old, and I was admitted to his house when I was nine years old.

* Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 88 Narrated 'Urwa: The Prophet wrote the (marriage contract) with 'Aisha while she was six years old and consummated his marriage with her while she was nine years old and she remained with him for nine years (i.e. till his death).

* Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 64 Narrated 'Aisha: that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old, and then she remained with him for nine years (i.e., till his death).

* Sahih Bukhari 8:151, Narrated 'Aisha: "I used to play with the dolls in the presence of the Prophet , and my girl friends also used to play with me. When Allah's Apostle used to enter (my dwelling place) they used to hide themselves, but the Prophet would call them to join and play with me. (The playing with the dolls and similar images is forbidden, but it was allowed for 'Aisha at that time, as she was a little girl, not yet reached the age of puberty.) (Fateh-al-Bari page 143, Vol.13)

* Sahih Bukhari vol. 5, Book 58, Number 234 Narrated 'Aisha: The prophet engaged me when I was a girl of six. We went to Medina and stayed at the home of Harith Kharzraj. Then I got ill and my hair fell down. Later on my hair grew (again) and my mother, Um Ruman, came to me while I was playing in a swing with some of my girl friends. She called me, and I went to her, not knowing what she wanted to do to me. She caught me by the hand and made me stand at the door of the house. I was breathless then, and when my breathing became all right, she took some water and rubbed my face and head with it. Then she took me into the house. There in the house I saw some Ansari women who said, "Best wishes and Allah's blessing and a good luck." Then she entrusted me to them and they prepared me (for the marriage).

Other hadith in Bukhari repeat this information.
A man who raped a nine year old girl, is not a man who "advocates truth, justice, mercy, compassion, patience, tolerance and forgiveness."

sly fly

HSC

You should, of your own accord, have the decency to abstain from mocking something which you know is going to deeply hurt me, especially when it's for no apparent reason. It's common courtesy.

banco55

HSC

last_chance said:
mocking a religion...any religion for the sake of someone's amusement is different to criticising and asking questions for the sake of educating ones self about it.
Hardly. There are lots of great writers who have mocked various religions in their work. Voltaire, nietzsche, beckett and of course Salman Rushdie. Satire is a way of criticizing a religion. A lot of writers criticism of religion would be a lot less memorable as literature if you removed the wit from it. Of course the muslim nutcases did try and kill rushdie.

Last edited:

sly fly

HSC

GoodSirLancelot said:

A man who raped a nine year old girl, is not a man who "advocates truth, justice, mercy, compassion, patience, tolerance and forgiveness."
I'm a shia muslim, and shia muslims don't accept sahih bukhari and sahih muslim to be authentic works.

get_born

GoodSirLancelot said:

Stay on the topic and dont bring up things that have been posted a gazillion times on other threads. I'm seriously not bothered repeating answers and I'm sure no one else wants to go down this whole path again. You want to find answers or arguments to this whole issue type it up in the seach engine im sure you'll find plenty. Go ahead drown yourself in them.

HSC

sly fly said:
I'm a shia muslim, and shia muslims don't accept sahih bukhari and sahih muslim to be authentic works.
Exactly the reason why your religion is stupid.

My point still stands.

davin

HSC
N/A

there is a difference between what may be tasteful and what is allowable. The whole point of freedom of speech is that you can say what you want. Why does it matter if the belief is a religion or not?
Theres not a holds barred thing. I mean, you complain because cartoons of Mohommad is insulting to the religion. Couldn't a Christian say taht, by denying Jesus as the son of God, you're insulting their religion, and that there shouldn't be any Qurans allowed?
The idea is that people can say what they want, even if its unpopular or offensive. Some people here are obviously offended, or don't believe, that Islam is good. But no one has said you shouldn't be allowed to do so while its attacked. The marketplace of ideas doesn't mean you have to agree with what is said, or even tolerate it. You just have to allow it to be said. If you don't like it, speak out against it, or find a nonviolent and legal means to counter it. Boycotts and protests. The difference is when people want to bomb or kill in retribution.

and christian fundamentalists in the U.S. are nuts, but thankfully are loud, but not as numerous as their volume would lead you to believe

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

You should, of your own accord, have the decency to abstain from mocking something which you know is going to deeply hurt me, especially when it's for no apparent reason. It's common courtesy.
It's for humour... it's to express my disdain of your beliefs. It does hurt you, but alot of things offend particularily religous people and while I will attempt to be courteous, it is not always going to be possible because you disagree with me. Much as I will attempt to be courteous to people that belief in jesus, or people that believe they have psychic powers, or people whom claim they are God... I will be courteous towards these people as much as I can while still showing that I disagree with them.

and christian fundamentalists in the U.S. are nuts, but thankfully are loud, but not as numerous as their volume would lead you to believe
Census surveys i've posted show that only 50% of americans would vote for an atheist president if everything else about him were essentially excellent. Compare this with something like 99% for blacks etc and you can see how powerful this movement is.

Last edited:
HSC

last_chance said:
Stay on the topic and dont bring up things that have been posted a gazillion times on other threads. I'm seriously not bothered repeating answers and I'm sure no one else wants to go down this whole path again. You want to find answers or arguments to this whole issue type it up in the seach engine im sure you'll find plenty. Go ahead drown yourself in them.
Yes, like all muslims bury your head in the sand.

davin

HSC
N/A

i agree by in large. Generally i try not to offend people's beliefs...for example, i've a catholic friend thats fairly religious and i make it a point to not make god-related jokes around, since i don't want to offend her just cuz i'm making a joke.
heres the thing though, while that may be "right" or common courtesy, common courtesy shouldn't be legislated or anything like that. someone can be a jerk if they want to be....thats what freedom IS. That the gov't doesn't try to apply all morals, esp in cases where no one is actually harmed or suffered a loss.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

Question for everyone:

From a secular point of view, which is more offensive in a newspaper cartoon?
a) A guy in a turban, or
b) John Howard and co being depicted eating babies? (Leunig, The Age)

get_born

GoodSirLancelot said:
Yes, like all muslims bury your head in the sand.

Huh? What have I been doing this whole time? Whose blinded now - not able to see all the posts I've made before this. Seriously, you have no argument here. The only head I see below the dirt is yours 'cos you can't seem to see anything above the ground.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Yea I really didn't see the problem with these jokes... they weren't particularily derogatory except for maybe the 'virgins' one. It seems muslims are upset because they 'drew the prophet' which is just ridiculous religious garbage... hows bout when you guys work on a sunday fundamentalist christians come out and get pissed at you for not going to church?

get_born

Captain Gh3y said:
Question for everyone:

From a secular point of view, which is more offensive in a newspaper cartoon?
a) A guy in a turban, or
b) John Howard and co being depicted eating babies? (Leunig, The Age)
If the guy in a turban is just any guy - then none.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)