Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

last_chance said:
If the guy in a turban is just any guy - then none.
What exactly is wrong with a picture drawn of the prophet... other than the fact that it says it's wrong in your scripture? Like what justification is provided for this?

get_born

Not-That-Bright said:
... hows bout when you guys work on a sunday fundamentalist christians come out and get pissed at you for not going to church?
hows about muslims get pissed because christians didn't pray Friday prayer at a mosque. That was a stupid example.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

sly fly said:
^last chance, don't bother......they don't realise what the prophet (p) means to us. They have no idea what it's like to love the prophet (p) more than your own self, more than your own family. People can come and mock me, my nationality, my political leader etc all they want, I don't really care......but mocking the person I look up to and love the most in this world, the very person who was generous and compassionate to everyone, is going too far.
yuo dont even know him . you nver met him , you dotn know his personality. yuo just go by what sais in a book.

Your so full of shit , you love him him more then anything.

if he was standing on the left, and yuor family on the right, and u had a gun, and had to kill one or the other, ill see who u kill.

Salima

HSC

Not-That-Bright said:
What exactly is wrong with a picture drawn of the prophet... other than the fact that it says it's wrong in your scripture? Like what justification is provided for this?
This is said becuase...well..it is the ruling of god. Why? So that we don't picture him when we pray so that we don't start to worship him like the christians and catholics worship jesus...it was to be a counter measure against this from re-occuring. And to emphasis that he is just a man that got hte message and had it written down. This was all his duty was, to pass the message on. Now there is the book, we read it to get the samse message, but this doens't mean we don't respect the Prophet. Muslims do highly. We know of what he did so that we can be as good as he was.

One thing we do know about his appearance is that he had blakc hair and beard, but this is it. Why is it important to know? So that people can twist it and turn it and turn him into somethign he wad not...like a god again and change his appearnce to reel in support from different people...making him look like them so they'll join becuase they can identify with him....no...it was the word that was important and the idea of seeking knowledge/not the person who sent it so much or their appearnce, just the words.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

hows about muslims get pissed because christians didn't pray Friday prayer at a mosque. That was a stupid example.
Well no... not really. I'd like to also know why muslims don't get pissed over people not praying on griday, however feel that they need to enforce this ridiculous 'YOU MUST NOT DRAW THE PROPHET' law on everyone... what is the justification?

This is said becuase...well..it is the ruling of god.
Alot of things are the ruling of God but you don't attempt to enforce these on other people.

Why? So that we don't picture him when we pray so that we don't start to worship him like the christians and catholics worship jesus...it was to be a counter measure against this from re-occuring. And to emphasis that he is just a man that got hte message and had it written down.
Ok but surely it's quite the stretch to imagine that his picture appearing in a comic could lead to people worshipping him as a god. By the way I do not see how not knowing what he looks like stops people from worshipping him, after all you do not know what allah looks like... you worship her/him/it/whatever....

Last edited:
HSC

googooloo, in Australia we both speak and write English.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

Captain Gh3y said:
Question for everyone:

From a secular point of view, which is more offensive in a newspaper cartoon?
a) A guy in a turban, or
b) John Howard and co being depicted eating babies? (Leunig, The Age)
i am deeply offended by this depiction of howard. i idolise him so much and love him more then my family, even though i never met him. The great job he is doing for our country makes my non-gay love for howard blossom.

banco55

HSC

Salima said:
This is said becuase...well..it is the ruling of god. Why? So that we don't picture him when we pray so that we don't start to worship him like the christians and catholics worship jesus...it was to be a counter measure against this from re-occuring. And to emphasis that he is just a man that got hte message and had it written down. This was all his duty was, to pass the message on. Now there is the book, we read it to get the samse message, but this doens't mean we don't respect the Prophet. Muslims do highly. We know of what he did so that we can be as good as he was.

One thing we do know about his appearance is that he had blakc hair and beard, but this is it. Why is it important to know? So that people can twist it and turn it and turn him into somethign he wad not...like a god again and change his appearnce to reel in support from different people...making him look like them so they'll join becuase they can identify with him....no...it was the word that was important and the idea of seeking knowledge/not the person who sent it so much or their appearnce, just the words.
So don't draw likenesses of him. Noone's forcing you to look at danish cartoons of him. If you want to live in a country where mocking religious figures is prohibited move to one of the failed muslim states.

get_born

Not-That-Bright said:
It's a moral justification. Like I said before a line should be drawn. Other than the fact that the prophet (saw) means alot to muslims - making fun of anything in religion buddha, Jesus and so on, is just not on. People believe in things and feel very hurt when they are mocked and ridiculed. If I didn't believe in religion ie. if i was an atheist I wouldn't want someone to make fun of what I've decided to be. I'd want them to respect and tolerate that decision. Ok sure, it doesnt mean one cannot discuss, argue or critique another religion for educational purposes. In regaurds to drawing the prophet...its a form of ridiculing an aspect of Islam as well as hurting millions of people around the world. I mean out of all the things to ridicule or mock (politicians, celebrities, animals, educational system, and heaps more) why does religion something that means alot to people have to be mocked.

sly fly

HSC

Not-That-Bright said:
It's for humour... it's to express my disdain of your beliefs. It does hurt you, but alot of things offend particularily religous people and while I will attempt to be courteous, it is not always going to be possible because you disagree with me. Much as I will attempt to be courteous to people that belief in jesus, or people that believe they have psychic powers, or people whom claim they are God... I will be courteous towards these people as much as I can while still showing that I disagree with them.
Say someone in your family dies, do people laugh and make jokes about it 'for humour'? That would be incredibly rude. Humour shouldn't apply to everything, some things are just too sensitive to people.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with disagreeing with my faith. But there's a difference between disagreeing and drawing an offensive cartoon which mocks the prime figure of my faith, for no apparent reason. I wouldn't call that being courteous to them as much as they can.

Salima

HSC

What Last_chance said is exactly right.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

It's a moral justification. Like I said before a line should be drawn. Other than the fact that the prophet (saw) means alot to muslims - making fun of anything in religion buddha, Jesus and so on, is just not on.
No it is on. What is not on is merely accepting everyone's crazy mis-guided beliefs and preventing all criticism.

People believe in things and feel very hurt when they are mocked and ridiculed. If I didn't believe in religion ie. if i was an atheist I wouldn't want someone to make fun of what I've decided to be.
Go ahead, make fun of atheism... I think you'll find the believers respond quite differently to those with religious belief.

Ok sure, it doesnt mean one cannot discuss, argue or critique another religion for educational purposes. In regaurds to drawing the prophet...its a form of ridiculing an aspect of Islam as well as hurting millions of people around the world.
Alot of things that you do ridicule different people's beliefs... There are some crazy people out there with beliefs just as justified as yours and I can bet you that you probably ridicule them. For example, Breatharians - people whom believe they can live off air.

I mean out of all the things to ridicule or mock (politicians, celebrities, animals, educational system, and heaps more) why does religion something that means alot to people have to be mocked.
Because when people really care about something it is much funnier to mock it. You will find this in most comedies.

davin

HSC
N/A

It's a moral justification. Like I said before a line should be drawn.
Thats just it though. You're trying to impose your morals, when no harm is being done. no injuries, no loss of property. this isn't free speech. should i be able to stop you from saying anything that i might find offensive? who are you to tell me that religion is supposed to be out-of-bounds, but things that i believe strongly in are not?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

last_chance said:
It's a moral justification. Like I said before a line should be drawn. Other than the fact that the prophet (saw) means alot to muslims - making fun of anything in religion buddha, Jesus and so on, is just not on. People believe in things and feel very hurt when they are mocked and ridiculed. If I didn't believe in religion ie. if i was an atheist I wouldn't want someone to make fun of what I've decided to be. I'd want them to respect and tolerate that decision. Ok sure, it doesnt mean one cannot discuss, argue or critique another religion for educational purposes. In regaurds to drawing the prophet...its a form of ridiculing an aspect of Islam as well as hurting millions of people around the world. I mean out of all the things to ridicule or mock (politicians, celebrities, animals, educational system, and heaps more) why does religion something that means alot to people have to be mocked.
all those things are mocked regularly, thats exactly why we should mock religion. By the way christianity is mocked all the time, it seems these cartoons are making muslims uncomfortable , because they have a hint of truth that u try to suppress, so your religion doesnt seem even more fabricated and bullshit.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Say someone in your family dies, do people laugh and make jokes about it 'for humour'? That would be incredibly rude. Humour shouldn't apply to everything, some things are just too sensitive to people.
It is a different matter to ridicule someones relative that they care about in a sensitive time and to satire someone's belief.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with disagreeing with my faith. But there's a difference between disagreeing and drawing an offensive cartoon which mocks the prime figure of my faith, for no apparent reason. I wouldn't call that being courteous to them as much as they can.
Your entire religion offends me.

get_born

Not-That-Bright said:
Well no... not really. I'd like to also know why muslims don't get pissed over people not praying on griday, however feel that they need to enforce this ridiculous 'YOU MUST NOT DRAW THE PROPHET' law on everyone... what is the justification?
I dont get pissed that you dont pray because i respect whatever it is you believe in. As for the 'drawing the prophet' that leads to ridiculing, which leads to people being hurt and la - di - dah you get the idea.

HSC

last_chance said:
I dont get pissed that you dont pray because i respect whatever it is you believe in. As for the 'drawing the prophet' that leads to ridiculing, which leads to people being hurt and la - di - dah you get the idea.
I get hurt when people mention Islam. I don't go around threatening to kill people though.

davin

HSC
N/A

if someone in a family dies, there's also no law saying you can't make jokes about it

As for Islam, that leads to 'drawing the prophet' that leads to ridiculing, which leads to people being hurt and la-di-dah, you get the idea.
no more practicing islam. or any religion. you might get offended.

davin

HSC
N/A

SashatheMan said:
all those things are mocked regularly, thats exactly why we should mock religion. By the way christianity is mocked all the time, it seems these cartoons are making muslims uncomfortable , because they have a hint of truth that u try to suppress, so your religion doesnt seem even more fabricated and bullshit.
thats totally irrelevant to this. if its true, if its not, the point is the freedom should be there to voice the opinion.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

As for the 'drawing the prophet' that leads to ridiculing
There is a huge fad of 'jesus lol' drawings out there on the internet... Jesus has been mocked for centuries without much of this violence. Things I believe have also been ridiculed without me getting so upset... However you claim that because this is from your religious text it is somehow a special belief that should be free from ridicule?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)