Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (2 Viewers)

sly fly

HSC
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

davin said:
i agree by in large. Generally i try not to offend people's beliefs...for example, i've a catholic friend thats fairly religious and i make it a point to not make god-related jokes around, since i don't want to offend her just cuz i'm making a joke.
heres the thing though, while that may be "right" or common courtesy, common courtesy shouldn't be legislated or anything like that. someone can be a jerk if they want to be....thats what freedom IS. That the gov't doesn't try to apply all morals, esp in cases where no one is actually harmed or suffered a loss.
Exactly, we try not to offend them or hurt them. Most people would agree that that is the good/moral thing to do.

Why shouldn't it be legislated? Many Australian laws are based on the moral standards of society. Certain things are allowed/disallowed because they are morally acceptable/unacceptable. No country has complete freedom, freedom has it's limits. My opinion is that freedom should be limited in this matter. Also, people have been harmed (ie. me and other Muslims) emotionally.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Exactly, we try not to offend them or hurt them. Most people would agree that that is the good/moral thing to do.
What are you talking about? You don't mock people whom believe they've been visited by aliens? You don't mock whack-jobs whom believe they are jesus? How exactly is your belief somehow any more special and deserving of respect than any of these other beliefs? How? We should just allow everyones crazy beliefs to be heard and respected? Given equal air-time on cable TV?

davin

HSC
N/A

most laws have some sort of purpose though, to prevent damage to property, to prevent loss of life, etc. theres not a tangible damage here

no one has been harmed. "emotionally" isn't harm, and its an immense slippery slope to start down that road. should girls not be allowed to turn me down for dates because i might be emotionally harmed by it?

...actually, that'd be a good law

get_born

Not-That-Bright said:
No it is on. What is not on is merely accepting everyone's crazy mis-guided beliefs and preventing all criticism.

Go ahead, make fun of atheism... I think you'll find the believers respond quite differently to those with religious belief.

Alot of things that you do ridicule different people's beliefs... There are some crazy people out there with beliefs just as justified as yours and I can bet you that you probably ridicule them. For example, Breatharians - people whom believe they can live off air.

Because when people really care about something it is much funnier to mock it. You will find this in most comedies.
No one is saying you have to accept or agree anyone's belief -- only tolerate and respect. As sly fly said... it is common courtesy.

I'm not gonna make fun of atheism because although I don't believe in it - and you don't mind your belief being mocked- it doesn't mean other atheists wont be offended.

Just because i dont agree with something doesnt mean you cant respect them.

I know someone who doesn't believe in God and I'm sure they wouldn't find it funny to mock it.

sly fly

HSC

Not-That-Bright said:
It is a different matter to ridicule someones relative that they care about in a sensitive time and to satire someone's belief.

Your entire religion offends me.
To me, satiring my beliefs is alot worse.

If my religion offends you, there was no intention to do so.

Anyway, I'm off.

Salima

HSC

Muslims have to take on so much other crap why this too? it's just too much stupidity!

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

sly fly said:
Say someone in your family dies, do people laugh and make jokes about it 'for humour'? That would be incredibly rude. Humour shouldn't apply to everything, some things are just too sensitive to people.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with disagreeing with my faith. But there's a difference between disagreeing and drawing an offensive cartoon which mocks the prime figure of my faith, for no apparent reason. I wouldn't call that being courteous to them as much as they can.
like someone said, theres no law against ridiculing someones dead family member, but theres not exactly a point to ridiculing someones family member, noone gets anytihng out of it.
but ridiculing a publicly known figure that many find contraversial thats not even personal to anyone for the sake of humour and freespeech should be allowed. i dont care if you say muhammad is personal to you muslims, because you never met him , its not personal.

get_born

GoodSirLancelot said:
I get hurt when people mention Islam. I don't go around threatening to kill people though.
I dont like the idea of you not liking Islam - and i dont go around threatening to kill people either- in fact i dont know of anyone who is.

davin

HSC
N/A

the point being missed is gov't shouldn't be legislating common courtesey

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

Salima said:
Muslims have to take on so much other crap why this too? it's just too much stupidity!
We non-violent civilians have to take on so much terrorist threats, why another one? its just too much stupidity

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

No one is saying you have to accept or agree anyone's belief -- only tolerate and respect. As sly fly said... it is common courtesy.
But why do I have to respect all of these beliefs? Some people's beliefs are outright ludacris!

It doesn't mean other atheists wont be offended.
They won't.

Just because i dont agree with something doesnt mean you cant respect them.
Well i'm surely willing to tollerate people and listen to what they have to say etc... even the crazies. However when you talk about respect, I draw the line of respect at the point where I cannot ridicule their belief.

Now I truely doubt you respect others beliefs... If I told you I believe aliens abducted me and that seeing a picture of an alien offended me/made me very scared, would you fight for my right to make sure pictures of aliens never turn up in newspapers?

No you wouldn't.

The fact is that there's alot of conflicting beliefs out there, alot of them non-sensicle imo - so the idea that we should give these beliefs respect is illogical.

Last edited:

get_born

davin said:
most laws have some sort of purpose though, to prevent damage to property, to prevent loss of life, etc. theres not a tangible damage here

no one has been harmed. "emotionally" isn't harm, and its an immense slippery slope to start down that road. should girls not be allowed to turn me down for dates because i might be emotionally harmed by it?

...actually, that'd be a good law
lol. There's a big difference in being dumped and mocking a prophet.

davin

HSC
N/A

Salima said:
this isn't something just toward muslims. its that there shouldn't be things you're by law not allowed to make fun of. which isn't to say its 'ok' or in good taste, just that it shouldn't have laws against that speech.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

last_chance said:
I dont like the idea of you not liking Islam - and i dont go around threatening to kill people either- in fact i dont know of anyone who is.
you are not as brainwashed as others, plus you do not have the resources, the connections or enough courage to kill someone or to care out an terrorsit attack.

but alot of your muslim counterparts do

davin

HSC
N/A

last_chance said:
yeah, one of them will effect me emotionally and one won't.
whats the difference in 'hurt'? i mean, it'd hurt my self-esteem and i'd feel bad and generally disappointed by life.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

I am a prophet. Don't mock me.

You've got it worked out. The idea that we should be so concerned about respecting everyones beliefs in order to prevent these people getting upset is utterly non-sensicle. I find it quite interesting that someone can claim they you know... have talked in prayer to god or allah or whatever and not be ridiculed, however of course if I came out and said i've been talking to zeus - well i'd probably be considered a loon.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A

last_chance said:
not really, he loves a girl on a personal level, you claim to have love for a prophet u never seen, it seems if anything the law of forbidding girls to say "no" would be more justifiable.

davin

HSC
N/A

yeah, i mean, in theory, i can believe in something like love just as much as someone else believes in a religion

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC

Over at the JREF forums www.randi.org there's a big discussion about the existance of 'love'. It is a much, much more tangible thing than belief in a God, which is of course where this whole 'dont draw the prophet' thing comes from...

Salima

HSC

SashatheMan said:
We non-violent civilians have to take on so much terrorist threats, why another one? its just too much stupidity
I'm talking about the way the goverment in australia ia playing up home grown terrorism here. And I have significant doubts about the poeple taken in apparently planning an attack.

I just mean a lot of people have stupid rediculous ideas abotu muslims and islam and they often think they are correct and spread this stupidity arounbd..it's like eveyrones thoughts on islam are histerical all the time, but not in the screaming rappagin kind of mass histerics just the thoughts of the kind floating around and int he media is this way. And I just as much as you could be blown up in a bomb explosion, becuase I could be in the smae palce it happens just like everyone else. It happens you know.

I can't be bothered to explain becuase everything wiht you is just shit, you think i speka shit jsut beucase i believ in islam, and i don't like that...why talkto someone os closed off...i've said this to you before and you jsut uttered some closed-off guy kind of words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)