NCAP Subforum Change - Proposal (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Hello lovely politically charged comrades.

As you know, some folk here can't get their shit together when it comes to making new threads in this forum. Pretty understandable when I put their mate's suicide coverage in "Light and Offbeat", sitting next to another article that says "Wife stabs husband 'in the abdomen after a fight over a computer password". Pretty hurtful.

We also seem to just informally acknowledge that NCAP has a philosophy element, and its tangled next to Election threads etc.

So basing on the previous threads, a formal suggestion by mr_brightside, as well as these

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=176121
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=177495

I have mixed suggestions together and here we go:

News and Articles
Current Affairs, Issues and Politics
Philosophy & Religion

However "News and Articles" might need its own subforum of that "quirky" shit that happens. To contain such articles such as "frog bites mans balls" etc.

How should we deal with those sorts of headlines?
What should the overall forum be called then?

Thoughts and feedback appreciated. Oh and this thread is going to be hellishly monitored by mods inside and outside of NCAP, so don't spam or nothin', or I will hit you with my mod stick. But please feel free to discuss this thoroughly and honestly.

Hugs and kisses.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
How do you clearly define the difference between news and current affairs?

With a story about politics, how do you decide if the issue is transient and belongs in News or signicant and belongs in CAIP?

I think the subforum for "quirky" shit would best be called "light and offbeat news" no?

Exphate said:
See, the current model and proposed models don't necessarily deal with the whole "friend committed suicide" element you mentioned (and other, not so notible yet still somewhat important), and other similar examples. People are still going to get uppy, regardless of where you put it, are they not?
Touchy subjects that make headlines would go in news, seems like it solves that issue to me.

Exphate said:
maybe a "Middle East" sub-forum too.
God no. That just encourages them.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Veto.

Keep forum as it is; no new sub-forums (too much of a dilution factor, not enough traffic).

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
i think we should leave it how it is and just add a religion sub forum. that's it. anything more will just become complicated.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Slidey said:
Veto.

Keep forum as it is; no new sub-forums (too much of a dilution factor, not enough traffic).
agreed... If anything I'd like one forum and a sub-forum for 'trashy threads' where the mods can move utter trash.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
No. It adds one more click to get to the meat of the forum, which doesn't make things any more logical.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: NCAP Subforum Change - Proposal

I reckon -

News and Articles
International Politics and Current Affairs
Domestic Politics and Current Affairs
Philosophy and Religion

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
withoutaface said:
No. It adds one more click to get to the meat of the forum, which doesn't make things any more logical.
Good point to me.

Slidey said:
I disagree. Better thought to subforums can lead to more traffic. Lifestyle got a massive change in its subforums, and now its one of the more popular non-academic ones.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I disagree. Better thought to subforums can lead to more traffic. Lifestyle got a massive change in its subforums, and now its one of the more popular non-academic ones.
Too much compartmentalisation. Increasing traffic flow is worthless if you're not increasing the number of entities that make up that traffic; it's a matter of spreading things too thinly. Did the lifestyle forum really get a traffic increase, or did one sub-forum get a traffic increase whilst the rest stagnated?

Moreover, it's rather annoying to view 3 or 4 forums instead 1 (or even 2). It also encourages people to separate religion from politics, which doesn't seem appropriate to me.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Why would people want to discuss philosophical issues but not news issues? News issues but not politics? They seem to me to be fairly well connected, at least with the amount of posters we have on this forum.

Idk, do many people have a problem with there being many non-politics issues in the NCAP forum and wish they didn't have to go through them to find the politics ones?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
People seem to have a massive problem with "Light and Offbeat".

I realise it doesn't warrant a serious rearranging (moreso, re-wording I believe), however their suggestions include that sort of re-arrangement.

EDIT: I agree that these sorts of things are very intertwined. So often does a "current issues" thread like homosexuality or abortion start treading towards religion.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Yeah, I think it'd be worth just renaming "light and offbeat" to "Miscellaneous News Items" or something, because certain topics in it are anything but light or offbeat (often simply serious and dark, but done to death).

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Exphate said:
Oh and just throwing it out there, maybe a "Middle East" sub-forum too. That way, all the crap on the topic is centred in one part of the forum rather than in the entire sub-forum/sub-sub-forums.
Then we can permanently ban everyone who posts in it :D

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Slidey said:
Too much compartmentalisation. Increasing traffic flow is worthless if you're not increasing the number of entities that make up that traffic; it's a matter of spreading things too thinly. Did the lifestyle forum really get a traffic increase, or did one sub-forum get a traffic increase whilst the rest stagnated?
Would it be a bad thing if there were stagnation in the 'light news' subforum? Most of it seems to be semi-inflammatory tripe anyway.

Besides, can we accurately predict what effect an extra subforum would have on overall traffic flow to NCAP? Perhaps it would be worth at least trialling it to see if it works out.

I'm pro 'philosophy & religion' subforum for obvious reasons.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
"Serious/Important News" and "Less Serious/Important News That You Might Think Is Serious/Important"

This will allow for the suicide threads etc which will go in the latter option :)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
News and Articles
Philosophy & Religion
Ironic Islam Threads
Muslims Did What?
Mohammed Was A Paedophile

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
P&R sub-forum. Let the ones who have a problem with the L & OB keep bitching. There shouldn't be many of them anyways.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
jb_nc said:
News and Articles
Philosophy & Religion
Ironic Islam Threads
Muslims Did What?
Mohammed Was A Paedophile
how about

THE ISLAMS ARE COMING!
Non-Islam-Related News

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)