NRL Thread (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Don't know if this has been discussed already, but did anyone see the St George team who beat Central Coast 102-8 yesterday? How fucking crazy was that?

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Loz#1 said:
Don't know if this has been discussed already, but did anyone see the St George team who beat Central Coast 102-8 yesterday? How fucking crazy was that?
Haha yeah it was awesome.

A record for the Dragons, and something like the first time 100 points has been scored in ARL/NRL/NSWRL etc competitions since the 1920s.

Here's the scoreboard before the final conversion, taken on a camera from a phone:

Boo_

HSC
james_chappo said:
Dragons defeated Cowboys 34-4 - just goes to show how weak the cowboys are without their origin players. Obviously the Dragons have a greater depth, who, depsite losing 5 players to origin managed to win convincingly.
5 players to origin, as well as matt head coming off injured early in 1st half, and timmins was injured for periods during the game

*mel*

Loz#1 said:
wow!! i didn't know that scoring more than 100 points was possible in a game of footy. haha how much must that Central Coast team suck?!

Boo_

HSC
**MeL**88 said:
wow!! i didn't know that scoring more than 100 points was possible in a game of footy. haha how much must that Central Coast team suck?!
central coast suck, or dragons are just to good...and i heard it was 102 - 0

and plz take note mel, dragosn are 7th, roosters are 8th:)

*mel*

Boo_ said:

yes i noticed that... i was waiting for one of you dragons boys to give me shit about that. :rolleyes:

i was watching the game yesterday, and i was actually going for the dragons but when they were in the 20s, i was "enough tries, already" coz of course they were going to overtake the roosters.

oh well... maybe things will change next week

Boo_

HSC
**MeL**88 said:
yes i noticed that... i was waiting for one of you dragons boys to give me shit about that. :rolleyes:

i was watching the game yesterday, and i was actually going for the dragons but when they were in the 20s, i was "enough tries, already" coz of course they were going to overtake the roosters.

oh well... maybe things will change next week
yeah, mayb roosters wont be in the top 8:)

an plz also take note that dragons are still the only team yet to have their first bye

*mel*

Boo_ said:
yeah, mayb roosters wont be in the top 8:)

an plz also take note that dragons are still the only team yet to have their first bye
If the Roosters don't get in the top 8, I will die. I will seriously die.

And yes I realise that they haven't had a bye yet... So 4 more points guaranteed.

Boo_

HSC
but the injuries are starting...matt head for the season, barret has an injury, gasnier has a possible one, timmins was playing abit with an injury...good thing the lower grades are eralli good

MeehShanku

MeehShankU
HSC
DRAGONZ said:
How come whenever the Dragons raised the issue of injuries last year, people would say that injuries are no excuse and that we were just "underperforming"?

We often had seven or eight players out every week last season, and we still finished 5th ... only one win away from a home semi final, and only a penalty goal away from a spot in the preliminary final against Canterbury.

It's so funny that when St George Illawarra have injuries, they are "underperforming", but yet when Newcastle and Canterbury have injuries, they are "struggling with injuries".

What the Knights SHOULD be doing is this:

Tell Andrew Johns and Danny Buderus to get out of the club. This will free up something like $900,000 to $1 million. That money can buy 4 quality players instead of the two you have there now. Also, from memory, your Flegg team is was top of the competition until three weeks ago. They've lost their last three matches, I think, and now they'd be about 5th or 6th. Your PL team is also 5th or 6th.

This indicates you have the junior base necessary for the future, provided you get rid of Johns and Buderus to save the money needed to keep them at your club.
hahaha go the eels. u serious tell joey n buderus to get out of the club? no offence or nethin but u must be out of ur mind boy. both of them are lik two of the best playas in da game. if anythin they should tell gidly to fuk off coz hes nothin without tahu.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
MeehShanku said:
hahaha go the eels. u serious tell joey n buderus to get out of the club? no offence or nethin but u must be out of ur mind boy. both of them are lik two of the best playas in da game. if anythin they should tell gidly to fuk off coz hes nothin without tahu.
Hey mate.

In simple terms, I'm not out of my mind. You need to learn more about Newcastle's off-field situation, and not only look at the fact that they are 0 and 12. And you need to look further than their current first grade squad too.

First off, Andrew Johns ($500,000) and Buderus ($400,000 minimum) are on at least $900,000 between them. Thus, 28% of the $3.25 million cap (which is for the top 25 players) is taken up on two. That roughly equates to 1/3 of the the cap being used by 1/13 of the players.

Secondly, Newcastle have been devastated by injury. It's certainly good to see (this is sarcastic... just making sure you know :p) that the Knights have amazing players the likes of Kurt Hancock, Blake Mueller, and Brendan Worth to cover for them....

Third. We then come to the obvious conclusion that to solve this problem in the short-term, money is needed to buy quality players. I'm not talking about your A. Johns's or your D. Buderus's, because they cost too much. I'm talking about players such as Steven Bell (Storm), Joel Monaghan (Roosters) etc... players who aren't earning amazing amounts of money but are solid and will do the job for you week in, week out.

However, who really cares about the short-term for the Knights anyway? They already have the spoon in the bag....

Their major problem is long term. They have no major naming rights sponsor (the only club in the NRL with this problem). They do not have the backing of a leagues club behind them (once again, the only club with this problem). They are fast running out of money. They don't have adequate staffing levels. They have people walking out on the club because of disharmony.

These off-field problems are very serious. I can't give you easy solutions to them, though, because I am not a person who can tell you about marketing and financial management.

ON the field, their long-term solution is this:

Get rid of Johns and Buderus (and, as you said, Gidley... with an 'e'). The Knights are running sixth in both PL and JF, and they were higher but for a couple of average weeks recently. This talent needs to be kept in the club rather than sold to other teams. To do that, Newcastle needs MONEY. When two players are taking 1/3 of your available money, what chance do you have of keeping these players at your club?

If you understand what I'm trying to say, you would realise that I am correct and you are, unfortunately, incorrect. For the survival and prosperity of the Newcastle Knights, I reckon my idea is a bit better than yours :p

snickerdoodle

year of the dog
HSC
Is Johns retiring this year, or next year? Either way, getting rid of him is pointless now. I understand what you're saying about bringing fresh blood into the side, but if Johns and Buderus are let go, who are the Knights' big names? They need to instill fear into opposing teams, and getting rid of Johns and Buderus would do the opposite. Plus if they were to go...well, I'd hate to see how the city of Newcastle would react.

On a certain degree I agree with you though. It's been my view that paying someone $400,000 for a handful of games a year, especially when money is needed to lure players to a club, is a bad idea *ahemSonnyBillahem*.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
james_chappo said:
Word DRAGONZ!Rep points for you :)
Haha. Thanks a bunch, mate =D

snickerdoodle said:
Is Johns retiring this year, or next year? Either way, getting rid of him is pointless now. I understand what you're saying about bringing fresh blood into the side, but if Johns and Buderus are let go, who are the Knights' big names? They need to instill fear into opposing teams, and getting rid of Johns and Buderus would do the opposite. Plus if they were to go...well, I'd hate to see how the city of Newcastle would react.

On a certain degree I agree with you though. It's been my view that paying someone $400,000 for a handful of games a year, especially when money is needed to lure players to a club, is a bad idea *ahemSonnyBillahem*.
Not sure when Johns is retiring. I'd venture to say it's not this year, though.

I don't mean getting rid of him now, I'm talking about at the end of the season. Even if it means he doesn't finish his contract. Same with Buderus and Gidley.

The Knights don't need BIG names. If they can have a squad built around six or seven second tier players (such as Steven Bell etc), and then bring in their youthful mix from PL and JF, they will do better. Not in the short-term, but in the long-term.

The Knights have to just forget about their on-field situation for the time being. They are in danger of going bankrupt, and that's what they need to fix. Once that is corrected, then they can look to the performances on the park.

This process will take more than just a season, snickerdoodle. It's short-term loss for long-term gain, and that is what the club needs.

The city of Newcastle would obviously be upset that their two 'best' players are gone, but if they wanted to see their club survive and succeed in the long-term, they'd understand and accept the decision.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
I think he hinted on the footy show that next year is his last year

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
snickerdoodle said:

Buderus still has a few more years at knights cos he signed a contract at the beginning of the year that made sure he'd probably retire at knights- so he wont go...yet. But johns will be gone i reckon by the end of this year- hes getting really susceptible to injuries. i dnt know how newcastle would cope really atm. they need to recruit quality players fast and now.

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Boo_ said:

heya bradley, remember to remind me to bash u at school for teasing roosters ok!luv ya. :D. lol

Boo_

HSC
kimi said:
heya bradley, remember to remind me to bash u at school for teasing roosters ok!luv ya. :D. lol
lol, thought we went through this, dragons = better then roosters (rorters 4 mel:))

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Boo_ said:
lol, thought we went through this, dragons = better then roosters (rorters 4 mel:))
:chainsaw: fuck u whore! roosters are gona kick ur arse next time we play u dragons! can we stop teasing roosters, we're not even that bad atm- we're in top8 for gods sake. lets tease someone else- ! grrrr. im gonna hit u when i see u, u little bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)