• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Post election thoughts (1 Viewer)

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
I don't feel that the ignorance factor needs justification if we simply reflect on the non-sensical comments made by some of these supporters.

Yes, I for one admit that I am bitter. Hmm more could be said but it's useless at this stage to throw around harsh derogatives.

Can I just ask, WHY did you vote for Liberal? Please indicate if you fell victim to one of the following misconceptions:
-interest rates are controlled by the government (utterly false)
-the coalition is showering us with money (indeed, with proceeds from sold public schools, corporations and hospitals)
-we are under attack, thus we must go attack/invade other countries
Or...
You are filthy rich and want to buy a share of the will-be-sold Telstra and continue to disrespect the poor

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Suvat said:
I personally am not angry with the 'ignorant' ones, I'm just disappointed that in this day and age, and the fact that we call ourselves the 'clever country', such a large proportion of the population still decide to take whatever propaganda they are fed on face value without making any further enquires. Even a mere 15 mins spent reading independent economists' analysis on the net would give any voter an infintely better and more complete understanding of how and why the domestic economy performed the way it did over the past decade.

yep i agree with you there...However Australia cannot be considered the "clever country", that right was taken away when the IGNORENT PEOPLE voted Kim Beazley out.

Generator

HSC
N/A
You are as bad as a number of journos, zahid. The leadership issue was resolved long ago.

waterfowl

HSC
shazzam said:
I don't feel that the ignorance factor needs justification if we simply reflect on the non-sensical comments made by some of these supporters.

Yes, I for one admit that I am bitter. Hmm more could be said but it's useless at this stage to throw around harsh derogatives.

Can I just ask, WHY did you vote for Liberal? Please indicate if you fell victim to one of the following misconceptions:
-interest rates are controlled by the government (utterly false)
-the coalition is showering us with money (indeed, with proceeds from sold public schools, corporations and hospitals)
-we are under attack, thus we must go attack/invade other countries
Or...
You are filthy rich and want to buy a share of the will-be-sold Telstra and continue to disrespect the poor
I voted liberal (as second) because of none of those reasons.
My method: I kept a tally throughout the campaign and Howard or Latham got minus or plus points for things they did. It was a tie for a while but then when Howard didn't go on Rove he lost the tally. But I believe Liberals will do a good job, I researched and that is what my personal conclusion was.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Generator said:
You are as bad as a number of journos, zahid. The leadership issue was resolved long ago.

i was not Referring to the leadership issue Generator. I was Referring to Kim Beazley's Knowledge Nation education policy which the Australian ppl threw out the door. YOU should Know that.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
I don't see why students would vote liberal. Especially those going to Uni. We all know how much UAI reqs jumped from 2003-2004 enty, some courses needed an extra 10UAI points. Utterly BS.

-EDIT: well it's good if your rich.... unfortunately most people aren't.

Generator

HSC
N/A
He wasn't voted out at that stage, was he? Next time try and be clear with what you mean.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Bone577 said:
I don't see why students would vote liberal. Especially those going to Uni. We all know how much UAI reqs jumped from 2003-2004 enty, some courses needed an extra 10UAI points. Utterly BS.

Umm rich bastards maybe, while poor ppl like me suffer.

waterfowl

HSC
Bone577 said:

Maybe some people aren't going to Uni.
(I take offense to being assumed rich cause I aint)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
zahid said:
i was not Referring to the leadership issue Generator. I was Referring to Kim Beazley's Knowledge Nation education policy which the Australian ppl threw out the door. YOU should Know that.
Knowledge nation was a commendable policy, but like so many other labor policies, it was far too complex for the 'ignorant' voters to see its inherent benefits. It wasn't helped by a fact that some labor guy (forgot the name) drew up a diagram of it which the liberals and media were able to ridicule as 'speghetti and meatballs'.

A threat like vote labor = interest rates up = your mortgage is doomed is so much more effective and doesn't require nearly as much thought.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
You only need to read the papers (note the s) and a number of political websites (party and commentary) to be informed... Sadly, when people cannot do this or rely solely upon other mediums, then we cannot expect much.
i didnt know how to add a pic in this reply (?) but my sig suffices this ignorance arg

Bone577

HSC
N/A
zahid said:
Umm rich bastards maybe, while poor ppl like me suffer.
I hear you.

After this election all i could do was ask myself "why?"
It is utterly perplexing that liberals won, even worse they won by a massive margin, and have 50% of the senate, which means we have a practical dictatorship with no balance of power and no checking and balancing done in the senate.

Actually, i do know why thet voted liberal, i just thought people would be smarter than that, i think i have lost faith in the people as they cannot see past the most obvious of PR rubish, and even after being lied to on multiple occasions they have decided to elect a known international criminal.

I expect to see university admission become much harder next year, or at the least within the next few years, with a drastic move towards an americanesque educational system in which Uni must be paid for in full, which is only afforded by the rich.

edit: to waterfowl, i never implied you were rich, i was making a general statement, purely coincidental.

Scanorama

HSC
Im angry and disappointed with some of the Australian who voted for Liberal. Looks like it will be a hard time for Labor for the next 3 years. It's only a matter a time before the interest rates go up again regardless who won tonight. But education, medical are something more important for a country. *sigh* increasing HECS, TAFE, medical expenses. As well as a mess up senate.

Seriously how can uni/tafe students vote for Liberal? Howard doesn't even give a damn about us, all he cares are those interest rate and his 'favourite' country - Amercia.

On not to mention the possible of the return of 'The White Australian Policy'

Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
i hope the shoddy roof on every homogenous suburban cunts house falls and kills them all tonight

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
disco_dave said:
why do you take it so far to the extreme... nothing that bad is really going to happen.

actually howard might decide a nuke to all australians would be good and becuase the senate is going to be liberal itll pass parliment... slap yourself across the face and wake up

You're an idiot. I've been very balanced in this thread and havn't said anything terribly anti-liberal. Stop trying to be a bane-of-left-wing-students. There are real liberal supporters like thorny and others and there is you: bagging out labor just for attention.

Generator

HSC
N/A
veanz said:
i didnt know how to add a pic in this reply (?) but my sig suffices this ignorance arg

Too much is much better than too little. For myself, anyway. If others cannot be bothered or are unable to read through a great deal of material, then they should be able to rely on critical reports from the media... Yesterday's webdiary (smh) covered this issue quite well.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
Im angry and disappointed with some of the Australian who voted for Liberal. Looks like it will be a hard time for Labor for the next 3 years. It's only a matter a time before the interest rates go up again regardless who won tonight. But education, medical are something more important for a country. *sigh* increasing HECS, TAFE, medical expenses. As well as a mess up senate.

Seriously how can uni/tafe students vote for Liberal? Howard doesn't even give a damn about us, all he cares are those interest rate and his 'favourite' country - Amercia.

On not to mention the possible of the return of 'The White Australian Policy'

I just dont know how Latham will clean this shit up once he is elected in three years time...VERY VERY SAD

Bone577

HSC
N/A
zahid said:
I just dont know how Latham will clean this shit up once he is elected in three years time...VERY VERY SAD

They say its hard to unscramble scrambled eggs. Thats the GST apparently.

But unless labor also wins the majority of the senate we are stuck with whatever ludicrous legislation the liberals will make in these next 3 years.

I will be truthful. I am realy afraid.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Gough Whitlam said:
i dont understand why they would either bc imo, in his eyes there's no point swaying us with hecs promises since we make up a minority of voters - probably viewed as being prone to vowing for anything thats unconventionally outspoken..like the greens in some instances. yes i think i may be rambling and kicking myself.

interested to see who the majority of our generation voted for..from this thread, it yells labor.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Oh yes, add to my list:

Goodbye to cordial international relations with other nations that aren't the USA led by Bush.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)