Reckon I'll get into a BA here? (1 Viewer)

Scinery

HSC
If i was Nuclear, I would go back to school with the intention of getting 99.95 at the age of 15.

"just for fun"

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Mate you said yourself you didn't care or try or whatever till trials. That to me shows a lack of maturity. I know one guy that got 59 and only just made it into UWS. I recommend you do another Year 12, and try again. You'll probably get 80ish if you try (maybe higher), and it will allow you to go into any BA or Design in 1st round.

Nuclear

HSC
It is naive to think there is no relationship between IQ and success in the HSC.
Who is more likely to achieve an ATAR of 99; a person with an IQ of 80, or a person with an IQ of 150?
Stop being fools.
I didn't say there was NO relationship, I said there wasn't necessarily one. Learn the difference.

And you can think I'm bullshitting about my IQ if you like, but I'm not. But it doesn't even make the slightest impact on my life whether or not you believe me.

Ben1220

HSC
Quite a few things I feel I need to comment on. First, unrelated things that I just need to comment on because I am anal.

so, basically, ur saying that u once had an IQ that was the same as Sir Isaac Newton and higher than Martin Luther King, Leonardo da Vinci and Einstein??

Really?
Its definently a child IQ. IQ scoring for children is generally much more inflated then scores for adults. To measure a childs IQ they get their mental age and divide it by their real age (and multiply by 100) so a 10 year old who had the same level of acheivment as the average 13 year old would score 130. That doesn't mean he's not bullshitting, I'm well aware of the tendancy for people to pull out inflated IQ numbers out of their asses while anonymous on the internet.

Adult IQ scores are much much different, there its simply plotting you on a bell curve comparing you to all other adults, with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. The OP almost certaintly doesn't have an ADULT iq of 190, since statistically theres only one or two people on earth who could have an iq that high.

Well I'm doing a whole lot better at uni than I ever did at school. But I honestly feel as though I'm more suited to the uni environment than a school one. Not everyone is like this though, its certainly a lot easier to fall behind, not turn up to lectures/tutes. Even in classes with compulsory attendance they don't chase you up, instead they fail you for non attendance. I know a few people who failed a first year core unit for not handing in a stupid 2% assignment - yes it was only 2% but if the course outline states all assessments must be handed in, you have no leg to stand on.

You have to really assess if you are ready for this kind of environment before you leap in.
I absolutely agree with you. Success at university and success at school are completely different things. They may be correlated on average, but there is ALOT of reordering that goes on. I am definently much more suited to university. Mind you I was a good highschool student to start with, but now I'm doing better then most if not all of my friends with 99.90 and 99.95 ENTERs (and I have quite a few friends with enters this high...) I'm one of the lucky ones though. I think that more people on average prefer highschool. Don't count on being one of the lucky ones, you can't tell for sure until you have tried it.

It is naive to think there is no relationship between IQ and success in the HSC.
Who is more likely to achieve an ATAR of 99; a person with an IQ of 80, or a person with an IQ of 150?
Stop being fools.
Of course there is a relationship, but its only a moderate correlation at best. You're probably not going to do well if you are a complete moron but once intelligence passes a certain level, any extra intelligence does very little for you compared to what just a little more hard work would. For example someone with an IQ of 115 who studies extremly hard all year vs someone with an IQ of 150 who didn't study enough and played more video games in year 12 then they studied. I would definently predict with just this information that the person with the 115 IQ would do better.

As for the actual OP and his issues though... I personally would do highschool again for either another 1 or 2 years, to get a higher ENTER, you could perhaps repeat a subject or two if you enjoyed them. If you did it properly you could probably get over 99 without too much effort.

Why don't you go back just for 1 year, and cream it this time? Get 99 and then apply to a BA at a really good university. Its likely to be much more rigorous, fun and interesting, and you will get more out of it then if you did it at a university that would take students with ENTERS in the 60s. It will only take 1 or 2 years longer then your original plans, so you will still be well ahead of others. I'm not sure how you would do that though, maybe just apply for year 11 entry at another school? Maybe you could do IB instead?

I didn't quite read everything here because it became a bit of a flame wars and its too long, so sorry if I've just brought up stuff thats already been dealt with.

Nuclear

HSC
Quite a few things I feel I need to comment on. First, unrelated things that I just need to comment on because I am anal.

Its definently a child IQ. IQ scoring for children is generally much more inflated then scores for adults. To measure a childs IQ they get their mental age and divide it by their real age (and multiply by 100) so a 10 year old who had the same level of acheivment as the average 13 year old would score 130. That doesn't mean he's not bullshitting, I'm well aware of the tendancy for people to pull out inflated IQ numbers out of their asses while anonymous on the internet.

Adult IQ scores are much much different, there its simply plotting you on a bell curve comparing you to all other adults, with a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. The OP almost certaintly doesn't have an ADULT iq of 190, since statistically theres only one or two people on earth who could have an iq that high.

I absolutely agree with you. Success at university and success at school are completely different things. They may be correlated on average, but there is ALOT of reordering that goes on. I am definently much more suited to university. Mind you I was a good highschool student to start with, but now I'm doing better then most if not all of my friends with 99.90 and 99.95 ENTERs (and I have quite a few friends with enters this high...) I'm one of the lucky ones though. I think that more people on average prefer highschool. Don't count on being one of the lucky ones, you can't tell for sure until you have tried it.

Of course there is a relationship, but its only a moderate correlation at best. You're probably not going to do well if you are a complete moron but once intelligence passes a certain level, any extra intelligence does very little for you compared to what just a little more hard work would. For example someone with an IQ of 115 who studies extremly hard all year vs someone with an IQ of 150 who didn't study enough and played more video games in year 12 then they studied. I would definently predict with just this information that the person with the 115 IQ would do better.

As for the actual OP and his issues though... I personally would do highschool again for either another 1 or 2 years, to get a higher ENTER, you could perhaps repeat a subject or two if you enjoyed them. If you did it properly you could probably get over 99 without too much effort.

Why don't you go back just for 1 year, and cream it this time? Get 99 and then apply to a BA at a really good university. Its likely to be much more rigorous, fun and interesting, and you will get more out of it then if you did it at a university that would take students with ENTERS in the 60s. It will only take 1 or 2 years longer then your original plans, so you will still be well ahead of others. I'm not sure how you would do that though, maybe just apply for year 11 entry at another school? Maybe you could do IB instead?

I didn't quite read everything here because it became a bit of a flame wars and its too long, so sorry if I've just brought up stuff thats already been dealt with.
Don't sweat it. Out of the whole thread, yours was the best reply.

What I'm thinking is: If I don't make it into this B Design, or don't like it. I can still always go back :)

clo-ree

HSC
How is it evident in my first post that I'm immature? I mess around, yes, but I'm a kid, and I'm meant to have fun. I am extremely mature when I need to be, so please don't make sweeping generalizations.
I have read this thread and that came to my attention... Kids should not be at uni.

Im sorry I dont want to sound like a bitch but you should go back to school next year. Do year 11 and 12 again and pick new subjects - ones you will enjoy and get yourself a better ATAR.

Then consider going to uni... But before this I doubt you will have a chance at uni.

Scorch

HSC
Sigh. Wankers on the internet.

The kid asked for some friendly advice from a community in order to get a fuller understanding of how his options lie for next year and how things stack up against eachother.

Instead, some people decided that it was their business to cross-examine everything unrelated to the question that he had asked, and for what purpose? To make someone feel like shit? Those people are assholes.

I'm sure he invited discussion and expected a little bit of criticism from the thread, but not the kind of shit that has been thrown at him. It's pretty sad and there are some people who sorta need to get a life if they get so worked up over a 14 year old's HSC marks that they feel the need to make a concerted effort to make him feel like shit.

Gladly, Nuclear seems to have his head on straight enough to realise that they can go fuck themselves, but clearly he has enough to deal with without all this shit being thrown at him.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Sigh. Wankers on the internet.

The kid asked for some friendly advice from a community in order to get a fuller understanding of how his options lie for next year and how things stack up against eachother.

Instead, some people decided that it was their business to cross-examine everything unrelated to the question that he had asked, and for what purpose? To make someone feel like shit? Those people are assholes.

I'm sure he invited discussion and expected a little bit of criticism from the thread, but not the kind of shit that has been thrown at him. It's pretty sad and there are some people who sorta need to get a life if they get so worked up over a 14 year old's HSC marks that they feel the need to make a concerted effort to make him feel like shit.

Gladly, Nuclear seems to have his head on straight enough to realise that they can go fuck themselves, but clearly he has enough to deal with without all this shit being thrown at him.
How would you feel having a 14 year old sitting next to you in one of your lectures?

isjongood

HSC
Hey Nuclear I thought I would throw my two cents in here.

Accelerated learning approaches are generally accepted as a valid means of educating gifted students and much of the literature indicates that students whom are advanced forward a grade are not significantly disadvantaged socially or academically.

However there are cases, as described by Waxler (2004) wherein accelerated learning approaches do not work.

Students grade advanced face a number of challenges, socially they need to form friendships with an older cohort whom may be more matured physically (and mentally) this is no easy thing to do as ageism is very prevalent across many age groups but I would think that high school students would be even more ageist. Older students may resent a grade advanced student for their gifted reputation and the attention they gain which lays the foundation for bullying etc. and a subsequent pressure to underperform to seem less ‘different’.

Academically, grade advanced students might be presented with situations where they are not easily coming top in their classes; this may be very confronting and detrimental to the confidence of the student.

Grade advanced students also face a number of challenges associated with expectations, they are expected to do well and therefore are put under particular strain to succeed. This may lead to a strong fear of failure which leads to deliberate underperforming.

On this note it is interesting that you felt apathetic towards your course work, perhaps this apathy was the result of the pressure put on you to succeed? Or perhaps it was an attempt to be more accepted socially?

Waxler (2004) details a similar instance where a gifted student develops a sense of apathy towards their studies after being grade advanced.

There are of course more challenges to being grade advanced (gaps in knowledge etc.) but these seem to me the most likely to cause academic problems.

In any case I would carefully assess why you underperformed in your HSC (beyond the surface rationalisation) before progressing further as these problems will most likely follow you into your University years and may even get worse.

Heres a link to the Wexler article: classroom management, effective teaching strategies, teacher resource

Last edited:

Nuclear

HSC
Hey Nuclear I thought I would throw my two cents in here.

Accelerated learning approaches are generally accepted as a valid means of educating gifted students and much of the literature indicates that students whom are advanced forward a grade are not significantly disadvantaged socially or academically.

However there are cases, as described by Waxler (2004) wherein accelerated learning approaches do not work.

Students grade advanced face a number of challenges, socially they need to form friendships with an older cohort whom may be more matured physically (and mentally) this is no easy thing to do as ageism is very prevalent across many age groups but I would think that high school students would be even more ageist. Older students may resent a grade advanced student for their gifted reputation and the attention they gain which lays the foundation for bullying etc. and a subsequent pressure to underperform to seem less ‘different’.

Academically, grade advanced students might be presented with situations where they are not easily coming top in their classes; this may be very confronting and detrimental to the confidence of the student.

Grade advanced students also face a number of challenges associated with expectations, they are expected to do well and therefore are put under particular strain to succeed. This may lead to a strong fear of failure which leads to deliberate underperforming.

On this note it is interesting that you felt apathetic towards your course work, perhaps this apathy was the result of the pressure put on you to succeed? Or perhaps it was an attempt to be more accepted socially?

Waxler (2004) details a similar instance where a gifted student develops a sense of apathy towards their studies after being grade advanced.

There are of course more challenges to being grade advanced (gaps in knowledge etc.) but these seem to me the most likely to cause academic problems.

In any case I would carefully assess why you underperformed in your HSC (beyond the surface rationalisation) before progressing further as these problems will most likely follow you into your University years and may even get worse.

Heres a link to the Wexler article: classroom management, effective teaching strategies, teacher resource
Yea, there was always pressure to succeed, I just got over it.

And making older friends was NEVER EVER hard for me. The only hard part was trying to maintain friends of both my year's age AND MY age, because there were times where I felt like 2 different people
around each.

This thread has become a lost cause. Any assholes can kindly go fuck themselves, and I won't post in this thread again.

isjongood

HSC
And making older friends was NEVER EVER hard for me. The only hard part was trying to maintain friends of both my year's age AND MY age, because there were times where I felt like 2 different people
around each.
This is very interesting, Lynch (1996) as cited by Waxler (2004) stated that grade advanced students form two social groups as you have, between the same age students and the older students, you might be interested in Waxler's (2004) comment concerning this:

If the gifted students form two groups of friends, the friendships are bound to be more superficial. Having more friends does not necessarily lead to deeper friendships. The older group may think of the gifted student as physically inferior and may actually be threatened by his or her intelligence. The group of friends that are the same age may feel resentment. The idea of two groups of friends implies dividing up time between each group. Decreasing the amount of time spent with the same-age peers, many of whom are life-long friends, can only lead to less meaningful relationships. (paragraph 10)​

It's unfortunate you are leaving this thread, I hope whatever decision you make you consider the possibility that you may have underperformed because you unconsciously felt that if:

1. You didn't try hard in your hsc you could avoid the pressures from others to succeed and have a ready explanation if you didn't do well

2. You did succeed you would alienate yourself from your social groups.

Anyhow all the best for whatever you do, the b arts course covers a broad variety of areas, perfect for those unsure of what they want, however it is not as highly prized as other degrees and b arts classes are very large (400+ at uws) and cutoff's low which would mean you would have to deal with alot of underperformers and less mature people (for the first year) however over the course of the degree most of the underperfomers drop off.

Do I think you would get in? well I had a talk with a former lecturer at UWS, he told me that they have only let in a few < 16 year olds in and they had high HSC results and were part of some gifted children university program so I'm not sure how you would go. All the best tho :)

Last edited:

amirite

HSC
I dont see the point of pushing you through school so fast that you come out the end of it with a shitty ATAR to set yourself up for a shitty career cause you had to take on a shitty course.
Why the rush? Sure its cool (the general public will label you a nerd, but your parents will love you...) to graduate secondary school at such a young age but obviously the 'experiment' has been a failure. You got 55 for gods sake. Youre clearly not developed enough emotionally yet. After-all you said yourself you dont give a shit.
Stay in school and get a 99+. Thats the logical thing to do. I cant believe your parents prefer a year 12 certificate at 14 to a respectable ATAR and credible tertiary education.

BTW what are you trying to prove with your avatar?

automatic91

HSC
WITH 56 ATAR YOU CAN BE A VERY GUD CIRCUS EXHIBIT

E.G. Nuclear on his 16th Birthday:

btw my sunflower story got me an atar of 90+

thats rite nuclear, u still the dumbest kid in this thread, yes you is.

p.s: i dont think ur 13 year old baby is ready for uni, maybe she can stay in year 6 while u go off to fail uni.

she's still a tree but there ain't no wood on you, mr 14.

Last edited:

manual91

HSC
Well, my ATAR was a shit 56.15. -_-

So I have my sights on a BA at UWS. The ATAR cut off was 72. I get 5 bonus points there for location, so it's now looked at as a 61.15. A BA at UWS isn't popular apparently, but do I don't think I'll make it, do you?

And secondly, if I don't make a BA at UWS, I wanted to do a Bachelor of Design at UWS, which details in stuff like photo illustration, digital media, graphics and animation. I LOVE that kind of stuff, and I'm 14, so I have plenty of time to spare to do a fun course. The cut off was 63 point something, I think it was 63.45. Do you think I'll make it into that at the least? I don't think a lot of people would do it.

But yea. Disappointed with my atar, I was moderated down a lot from my exam marks on account of shit assessment marks.

But I'd rather get into a BA at UWS, so if I maintain a good average, I could transfer to a different uni, as it would be easier to transfer to a different uni on a BA than a B Design.

Anyway, what do you think?
I think you should go back to school for another year since people at uni are generally 18. Could you even go and see an MA15+ movie with them? It's just going to be far more socially awkward that you think.

If you can't see that, then that just proves you should do another year of schooling. And it's not like you're going to get into a decent course with your ATAR.

You may as well just do the HSC again, actually do well this time and then get into your course rather than have a year at uni in some random course with all the associated costs (Guess what, they don't have free school buses to uni) before attempting to transfer to whatever course you want.

automatic91

HSC
by the way, i suggest going to UWS. Heres why:

UWS= U WENT SHIT

which u did.

LOL, YOU FAIL

daniel81

HSC
Yeah well, programming in 5 different languages isn't difficult...I mean, I know like..3? and I don't even consider myself a coder. Point is, you rushed through school, super mediocre results and this "applying" bullshit is the card ever lazy person pulls when they realise they suck.
Learning 5 programming languages is just fucking stupid, unless your languages are things like HTML, CSS and shell scripts. You couldn't get into much more depth than hello world with any of them.

Go start out simple with VB.NET, build an application that does something remotely useful and then you can say you know 1 programming language. Know how to do API calls? Ever used a DLL? Ever worked with a back-end database?

If you can do stuff like the above without consulting tutorials for your 5 programming languages, then I retract my above statement about you not acutally knowing them. But not the one about it being utterly pointless to learn 5 of them.

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
I really doubt that you would be accepted to university given your results and age. University applicants are likely to be higher this year due to the 'non-recession' limited the job market for high-school graduates inclining more people to go to university to weather the storm so to speak. From what I have read in the thread there is nothing particularly compelling about your story that would incline an admissions officer to pick you over a better applicant on paper.

I'm surprised it hasn't been raised already and you don't need to reply in the thread, but have you sat down and thought about how much your decision is being motivated by what your brother did? What are your career advisers at school saying about this?

It isn't unusual for someone of higher than average intelligence to be bored and unmotivated at school especially if they have no firm idea of what they want to do in life. That said however, your score is very low and likely would have been much higher for a similar level of effort had you spent a few years longer in school. I too felt extremely confident in my own abilities in my early teens but much of that was self delusion. So much of what makes a person 'educated' is not taught in the classroom but is only acquired through experience which, like it or not, takes time. You academic abilities will improve with age. Regardless of natural abilities you still have to work hard to reach your full potential.

Even if you are accepted, I would have severe reservations about your ability to succeed at university. You will have to do many dull assignments, long and dry academic readings, and write increasingly lengthy pieces of assessment. You are obviously articulate, but do you have the same vocabulary, writing ability, and broad knowledge as someone who has perhaps five years of extra reading, learning, travelling, and life experience?

ilikebeeef

HSC
Nuclear, if I was in your situation I would re-sit the HSC next year, and put more effort in. It's only a matter of revision and aiming a bit higher. Once you ace the HSC, you may be more confident and more-prepared for uni and may have more of an idea of your career direction - who knows if you may change your mind? :p Even if you redo the HSC, you got a headstart anyway, due to your age - you've got plenty of time :). But it's really up to you. In whatever you choose to do, give it your best shot. Good luck.

EDIT (back on topic!): My answer to your question: Prolly not.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)