Should English be compulsory?? (1 Viewer)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah i recently went to syd uni for a pdhpe seminar thing and i was intimidated by how much it reminded me of hogwarts hahaha i felt like voldemort was just gonna jump out from behind a wall and kill me.
What course do you do Meilz and would you say studying english in high school has helped you in your course?
I'm not Meilz, but...

English will help with almost every course, you need the skills you learn in English, end of story.

fiesycal

HSC
I'm not Meilz, but...

English will help with almost every course, you need the skills you learn in English, end of story.
Cool explanation. Thanks for that, I definitely think english should count towards ATAR now. /sarcasm

HSC
Uni Grad
Stolen from another forum, thought it was pretty interesting.
Nobody writes essays for work, they write emails, they do presentations, they do articles, but they don't do essays. Again don't teach students how to write essays, its fucking stupid. Instead teach them how to make them be confident on stage, and not send the audience asleep as soon as they open their mouth [as well as how to communicate via text including emails effectively].

No "standardized testing" should be done whatsoever. Good workplaces don't give you tests and then make you feel like shit if you do bad, they teach you if you are lacking.

For us English is compulsory for VCE/HSC. Doesn't help when instead of reading a book of your choice, you have to read some boring book chosen by a bookworm who would find it just as interesting to watch grass dry. Imagine what the difference in student attention span would be if lets say, students were allowed to read Harry Potter? But no, it has to be standardized so everyone has to read some boring book.

michaeljennings

HSC
Yeah why do they have to be like that. I mean my future is on the line here, i dont want no subjectivity! i want objectivity!

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Cool explanation. Thanks for that, I definitely think english should count towards ATAR now. /sarcasm
You need english, except for it counting towards the ATAR, that's a different story... I dont completely agree with it either, go read the rest of the thread and stop putting forward baseless arguments.

Yeah why do they have to be like that. I mean my future is on the line here, i dont want no subjectivity! i want objectivity!
lol

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah i recently went to syd uni for a pdhpe seminar thing and i was intimidated by how much it reminded me of hogwarts hahaha i felt like voldemort was just gonna jump out from behind a wall and kill me.
What course do you do Meilz and would you say studying english in high school has helped you in your course?
I do commerce/science and it has helped in the sense that i can write my essays a bit better but mostly it has helped my life outside of uni in the sense that i am able to think and reason better

michaeljennings

HSC
please try to stay on topic MATE we are discussing the complexities of the english language and the subgenres it evokes in the minds of the youth of today. Why is it compulsory, who made it compulsory? If i do legal studies and become a judge with a wig can i change the law so that maths ext 2 is now compulsory and english is optional?

fiesycal

HSC
You need english, except for it counting towards the ATAR, that's a different story... I dont completely agree with it either, go read the rest of the thread and stop putting forward baseless arguments.

lol

Baseless arguments, now where have I seen those before...

michaeljennings

HSC
I do commerce/science and it has helped in the sense that i can write my essays a bit better but mostly it has helped my life outside of uni in the sense that i am able to think and reason better
Would you recommend me doing commerce/science even though im terrible at writing essays? because i really suck at it but it seems like everything at uni requires some sort of writing

fiesycal

HSC
Wouldn't ext 2 maths be better for 'thinking and reasoning'.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Would you recommend me doing commerce/science even though im terrible at writing essays? because i really suck at it but it seems like everything at uni requires some sort of writing
yes because >50% of commerce enrolment is international students from china who can barely even speak english anyway

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Wouldn't ext 2 maths be better for 'thinking and reasoning'.
no because its all just numbers, you cant even compare the two because they are totally different. English makes you think about topics and deliver your own analytical interpretation of said topic. Makes you think more deeply about things

dw m8 i know how you feel, when I was in year 12 I thought it was outrageous that english was compulsory, but now i see things differently.

michaeljennings

HSC
ah i see. Also if english is so important how come doing a bachelor of arts requires such a low atar?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
because demand for B Arts is relatively low compared to the enormous supply for arts subjects that universities can provide.
atars have nothing to do with how easy or how hard or important a subject is, but are based solely on supply and demand. eg. say the university has 1,000 places for a course, and places are filled by students with highest to lowest atar. After the 1000th place is filled, that 1000th student's atar becomes the atar cut-off for the course. Hence entry to the course is cut off.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)