Should English be compulsory?? (1 Viewer)

WorryWartCob

HSC
Why is english compulsory - its going to drag my atar down.

ranks in sig.
but seriously...
going to drag me down hard.

HSC
Re: Why is english compulsory - its going to drag my atar down.

well that makes sense?

if you arent as good as other people then your atar wont be as good?

your atar is only as high as you are smart and dedicated lol you obviously arent smart enough to warrant a higher atar

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

And the ATAR is a rank. So if you suck, you get pushed down the line - so suck it up and get better at it because complaining does nothing.

And you're 30/65, that's not even bad... I think you're a troll, personally.

WorryWartCob

HSC

And the ATAR is a rank. So if you suck, you get pushed down the line - so suck it up and get better at it because complaining does nothing.

And you're 30/65, that's not even bad... I think you're a troll, personally.
im nothing of the sort buddy.

our highest marks for each assesment = 18/20
our teachers mark like a bitch
and as a result my marks arent great and tbh i dont think my rank is.

sorry if you think that ;/

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

im nothing of the sort buddy.

our highest marks for each assesment = 18/20
our teachers mark like a bitch
and as a result my marks arent great and tbh i dont think my rank is.

sorry if you think that ;/
If your teacher marks like a bitch then you'll go well in the HSC where they'll be more lenient... correct?

PH011

HSC

airblitz7

HSC
English as a subject; yes. But the subject needs a dramatic restructuring. I understand how essays help in life, but the way you go about them; techniques etc, I think needs to be changed.
As well as the nigh impossible times.

HSC
Uni Grad
Essays are worthless, you don't use them in the work place, you communicate by doing presentations, reports, emails, etc but not essays.

WorryWartCob

HSC

If your teacher marks like a bitch then you'll go well in the HSC where they'll be more lenient... correct?
i rank what i do in my sig and my mark was
10/20 for a essay.

what da faq

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Essays are worthless, you don't use them in the work place, you communicate by doing presentations, reports, emails, etc but not essays.
It still uses the core principles of synthesising information into a concise, brief and abridged composition though.

jnney

lemon
HSC

Don't blame your teacher, blame yourself. The teacher is marking everybody on the same level. Have a look at the band 6 essays and compare them to yours. Is your piece of writing an essay?

chur70_90

HSC
Yes, as it is a combatant for the rising number of illiterate people.
Just mentioning, illiterate people most likely leave at the end of year 10... so forcing it upon people that have chosen to continue with the HSC makes no sense with that argument.

also "rising number"... i highly doubt there are more illiterate people in Australia then 20 years ago.

Caecilius

HSC
English as it is now should absolutely not be compulsory. It dilutes it and drags it down to the lowest common denominator, ruining it for the people who would actually be interested in studying it. I've been reading and writing out of enjoyment since I was 12 but I absolutely despise HSC English and it's my worst subject. Part of the reason English is compulsory is so that universities aren't inundated with 1st generation immigrants who can't speak the language. This is an important issue but there are other ways of combatting it. Western Australia for instance has a good system where English is compulsory, but you can choose to do English Literature, a more difficult course where you only study novels; no Area of Study crap.

yours

HSC
They need a subject that everyone does, and English is the yardstick. If it were any other subject there'd be lots of complaints as well.

D94

HSC
N/A
Actually, the Board of Studies does not have to give an essay task in the HSC. It could be a report, a speech, a letter etc.; essays are just more common.

HSC
Uni Grad
Actually, the Board of Studies does not have to give an essay task in the HSC. It could be a report, a speech, a letter etc.; essays are just more common.
That's true, I find it strange that they can do all those and yet year 11 and 12 all in class stuff as well as HSC was essays or narrative (for creative writing ofc)...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)