Should voting in Australia be compulsory? (1 Viewer)

Should voting in Australia be compulsory

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brontecat

HSC
i don't really think it should be compulsory for all people aged 18 and over to vote as it kind of goes against our whole 'free country' kind of thing, if we're such a free country each person should be able to personally decide whether or not they want to vote - but then again there are risks associated with optional voting with people hiding beneath false identities or being threatened not to vote. I just don't think they fully cancel out the concept upon which our constitution is based. (plus these things can happen just as easily in a compulsory voting system. :)

HSC
i think compulsary voting is a small infringement on our freedom compared to a lot of other governmental policy

aussie-boy

HSC
If you look at university union elections, despite unions having control over facilities, food prices, student societies etc elections are popularity driven and completely divorced from policy

I think a lot of people couldn't care less about who runs the country - so we'd be looking at a situation where you throw control into the hands of politically motivated extremists. We need the average guy on the street to be in control of our country.

On the other hand, there are a lot of dumb Australians (e.g. full support for the net filter despite knowing nothing about it)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you look at university union elections, despite unions having control over facilities, food prices, student societies etc elections are popularity driven and completely divorced from policy

I think a lot of people couldn't care less about who runs the country - so we'd be looking at a situation where you throw control into the hands of politically motivated extremists. We need the average guy on the street to be in control of our country.

On the other hand, there are a lot of dumb Australians (e.g. full support for the net filter despite knowing nothing about it)
Pretty much summed up my viewpoints on the topic. But at the end of the day, I think non compulsory participation is potentially exposed to abuse or exploitation similar to other countries. What we need is ease of voting- e.g. online forum polls!

BigBoyJames -

Banned
HSC
N/A
The participation in voting only gives approval to the state's existence and by extension state activity. So no, compulsory voting is an infringement on individuals who wish to have nothing to do with the state.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Absolutely

It's one of the few (small) concessions to personal liberties I will always support.

HSC
non compulsory voting gives way too much power to one particular demogrpahic (old people who would actually vote), the government would be inclined to aim their policies at pleasing this demographic and policies for youth would be largely ignored, as young people couldn't be fucked to vote

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
The participation in voting only gives approval to the state's existence and by extension state activity. So no, compulsory voting is an infringement on individuals who wish to have nothing to do with the state.
That is only the case if making a legitimate vote is compulsory. Which it is not.

At the same time, the efficacy of the compulsory voting system is dependent on the state compelling the individual to be at a certain place during a certain period of time to vote, through the threat of punishment (fines if you don't vote). So quite clearly if you have a manchild-esque phobia of authority, compulsory voting is an affront to your most basic sensibilities.

Non-compulsory voting is an elitist institution solely instituted to eliminate the power of disaffected, uninterested and lazy plebs.

badquinton304

HSC
Even though it is a bit forceful, it is not harmful and it is needed for democracy to work.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, as "hopefully" it'll allow people to make a better collective decision, but since that never happens, I guess it could be fine if not compulsory... but atm i'll stick with yes.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A
i think voting should be optional but

people think the government spends to much money of propaganda now...imagine if voting wasn't compulsory..................i shudder at the thought :(

Chrissiieee

HSC
gov't has sent me a letter telling me i haven't enrolled to vote twice now.

Do i have to enroll?
:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)