• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

smh: new light on where money goes for private schools (1 Viewer)

skyisthelimit

Banned
HSC
N/A
$20, 000 a year is a waste of money, particularly when public schools still do very well for almost only $100 a year. Public school students also tend to outperform private school students in university.

$20, 000 could buy you so much...

Heck, it could build a school in a developing country incl. resources, where needy children can be educated, rather than going towards snobby egotistical jerks who still refer to their parents as 'mummy' and 'daddy' in HSC year.

philphie

Banned
HSC
no i was flicking through the report they send to everyone at the end of the year and it caught my eye, so i thought i'd see where all the money was going
oh so you're a former Kings boy?

philphie

Banned
HSC
$20, 000 a year is a waste of money, particularly when public schools still do very well for almost only $100 a year. Public school students also tend to outperform private school students in university.

$20, 000 could buy you so much...

Heck, it could build a school in a developing country incl. resources, where needy children can be educated, rather than going towards snobby egotistical jerks who still refer to their parents as 'mummy' and 'daddy' in HSC year.
well if you saw this years list of school ranks based on hsc results their was an increasing majority of private schools, ao i guess they're getting what they pay for...

a lot of these private schools have extra curricular programs for year 12 graduates to take a gap year to send them to these developing nations i guess as a means to either rid their guilt (lol) or just make it look like they 'care'. i know for a fact most Abbotsleigh girls who decide to take a gap year use it to go be some teacher's aid in some private school in England, so not quite developing nations aidwork...

lol at the mummy daddy thing, i just go 'hey you!'

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
the joke is they are funded by the government to the tune of $2-4 million while being able to charge 20 k per year

philphie

Banned
HSC
the joke is they are funded by the government to the tune of $2-4 million while being able to charge 20 k per year
this is just uninformed speculation i'm about to make, but i guess these boards have some arrangements with the kids of fed MPs, too bad Latham didn't clean up his act to put an end to this

philphie

Banned
HSC
never heard of the developing country thing, but for example kings completely funds a school in bangladesh + every house has to raise money for charity + often the school partially funds trips to developing countries to build orphanages etc. (but im not sure about the gap year thing)

a lot of private schools have gap year exchanges with english schools tho...
yeah it's through the headmaster and headmistresses committee thing or something. yeah pretty much every catholic systemic/independent/private school has these charity fundraisers

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
not king david, just the King's School. the only school up there that remotely resembles a Jewish school is Reddam. but now since you're talking about melbourne schools, how are the fees down there?
Probably in the $15000-$20000 range for private schools.

That said they do all punch above their weight in the school rankings.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A

how can a school punch above its weight? that doesn't even make sense.

philphie

Banned
HSC

that's way more reasonable than ours which is surprising seeing how you guys (i think) have so many more Jewish secondary schools than us. and it's also easier for your private schools to do well seeing how you only have a few selective schools

skyisthelimit

Banned
HSC
N/A
that's way more reasonable than ours which is surprising seeing how you guys (i think) have so many more Jewish secondary schools than us. and it's also easier for your private schools to do well seeing how you only have a few selective schools
Melbourne is cheaper than Sydney in many aspects. Their median house price is nothing compared to ours.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Melbourne is cheaper than Sydney in many aspects. Their median house price is nothing compared to ours.
so true, Toorak and Canterbury in Eastern Melbourne compare nothing to Point Piper or Double Bay. you get better value down Eastern suburbs of Melbourne as well, cheaper property, streets lined with 200 year old oak trees, and a strong sense of Victorian/Georgian/Federation architectual preservation, none of that McMansion shit we get here in Sydney except in the inner west and Paddington

Starstruck

HSC
N/A
Who cares if a private school raises it's fees? They're basically a buisness, so the services they provide and the fees they charge should be entirely at their own discrestion. Fees can't continue rising indefinately or the schools will run out of clients.

If you can't pay the fees, don't attend. Its hardly an issue. Anyway, public schools aren't as bad as people make them out to be ;) (Comming from an ex-Grammar boy).

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Who cares if a private school raises it's fees? They're basically a buisness, so the services they provide and the fees they charge should be entirely at their own discrestion. Fees can't continue rising indefinately or the schools will run out of clients.

If you can't pay the fees, don't attend. Its hardly an issue. Anyway, public schools aren't as bad as people make them out to be ;) (Comming from an ex-Grammar boy).
thanks for the advice seneca

this is also a really stupid post and the poster is probably too thick to figure out why

philphie

Banned
HSC

this is also a really stupid post and the poster is probably too thick to figure out why
it was in the paper and i just wanted people's opinions on it, is that so idiotic?

Starstruck

HSC
N/A

Amuse me, care to explain my mistake?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)