SRC Elections 2005 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
melbournian said:
Not everything has to be run on the profit motive.
When something can clearly be run at a profit (as demonstrated by the private stores in Wentworth), then there is no reason for it not to be, especially when it's making a loss because of poor management.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Because it minimises the cost to members and provides more money to fund other important services.

Plebeian

There is clearly inefficiency in the Union that needs to be addressed, and there is universal recognition of this. However, that doesn't mean that any Union outlet that makes a loss does so solely because of mismanagement; there are other factors to consider too, like the fact that the food is subsidised to make it cheaper for members, but less profitable. In any event there is no on-campus comparison with the second-hand bookshop so it's hard to compare. Services which aren't profitable should be amended as much as possible so that they are, but in doing so they can't lose sight of their original purpose and sacrifice it to a profit motive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Techie makes a good point, the priority should not just be about reducing or removing the fee - but to provide a cost effective service for students who need it. If every student contributed 3 cents or something, but could provide an essential service for a student who lives on the poverty line, then we should be open to such ideas.

But withoutaface also makes a good point, in that a lot of what Is offered by the SRC is often so counterproductive and useless that it represents an unnecessary burden on students. The problem is that when we have representatives who are influenced primarily by the Party, rather than by the needs of students, we get an SRC that cannot achieve the necessary balance between the different interests of students. That's one of the reasons I am running this year - because as an Independent, I can bring fresh ideas untainted by the party line.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I love it when Techny and WAF fight...good and evil...Labor and Liberal...left and wrong, locked in a duel to the death.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Phanatical said:
Techie makes a good point, the priority should not just be about reducing or removing the fee - but to provide a cost effective service for students who need it. If every student contributed 3 cents or something, but could provide an essential service for a student who lives on the poverty line, then we should be open to such ideas.

But withoutaface also makes a good point, in that a lot of what Is offered by the SRC is often so counterproductive and useless that it represents an unnecessary burden on students. The problem is that when we have representatives who are influenced primarily by the Party, rather than by the needs of students, we get an SRC that cannot achieve the necessary balance between the different interests of students. That's one of the reasons I am running this year - because as an Independent, I can bring fresh ideas untainted by the party line.
Could you please put the fence just a little further up your arsecrack?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I'm not sitting on the fence. I'm knocking the fucking thing down. Politics has no place in our SRC - and that applies equally to left AND right.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I am not chauvenist. I resent the implied accusation, and I think that if you pulled your head out your ass, dropped the holier-than-thou attitude, and actually read my policies, you'd realise that what I am saying is completely grounded in logic and reason. You don't have to bother with the last bit, I'd be happy if you just did the first two.

Last edited:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
src candidate andrew guy

mate,
if there is anyway u can make all the 1hr and 2hr parking around the uni into 4hr parking, i''ll get you at least 100 votes.
use that as your campaign, at least 300 ppl park in the 1 and 2 hr parking areas all up and down near darlington road an shepherd st / abacrombie

get the stupid council to stop taking advantage of poor unistudents who just want to learn and you have my vote

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
gordo said:
mate,
if there is anyway u can make all the 1hr and 2hr parking around the uni into 4hr parking, i''ll get you at least 100 votes.
use that as your campaign, at least 300 ppl park in the 1 and 2 hr parking areas all up and down near darlington road an shepherd st / abacrombie

get the stupid council to stop taking advantage of poor unistudents who just want to learn and you have my vote
Gordo, I'll be blunt. If you vote for me I'll give you sex.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
At least you guys have parking. At my campus, if I wanna park within 2 kilometres of the Con, I have to pay a LOT of money.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Driving to uni is not only unneccessary but bad for the environment.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The chance of you dying in a terrorist attack aboard public transport is many, many times lower than that of you dying in a car accident.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
gordo said:
i want to see equations
I promise you some pie charts tonight.
melbournian said:
since when do the libs care about the environment?
Since when does supporting the vast majority of a party's policies mean I support every single one of them?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
waf, i cant believe u said that about the secondhand bookshop, who cares if it needs money to run, it's a good service

myg0t

myg0t
HSC
withoutaface said:
The chance of you dying in a terrorist attack aboard public transport is many, many times lower than that of you dying in a car accident.
Do you wait for 10 minutes in your driveway for your car to arrive?
Do you have to sit in your car with an obese sweaty old man?
Do you have to put up with the indigenous lady asking you for "two dollaz bro"?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Mr Phanatical, I saw you posting up your posters at Redfern on my way to the station and caught a glimpse of one your slogans, something along the lines of "If you dont vote for Quah, you're a racist". Care to explain, please?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Apparently affirmative action is all the rage these days Vince.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)