student allowance - get rid of it... (1 Viewer)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
And if you went to uni and had to pay for it, you would be eligible for Youth Allowance. A lot of people I know are on it because we all have to leave home to go to university since it's in Armidale. In fact, most people who leave home for any university get Youth Allowance. Most of mine goes into the $928 I have to pay each month in college fees.
That's not true.

When I went to Melbourne I didn't get youth allowance, its still based on a means test, and my parents earned too much. But I just sucked it up and got a job and before I knew it, I had earned the threshold amount, and got youth allowance halfway through last year. Most people I know who support themselves either get little or no Youth allowance.

I pay over $200 in expenses each week, and earned between $400-600 per week working two jobs.

To the original poster:

Honestly, if you really are paying for everything, and working hard to make money, you'll reach the independent amount. It's like 18 grand, which, over 18 months is just $250 per week. Not hard, really.

You're the lazy one. Stop complaining and start working.

Danoz The Great

HSC
Crestwood's_G said:
ok...i am not whatsoever jealous...

i am angry that some people are allowed to claim this and i am not because the only parent in my family supposedly earns more than 2 parents in another...

the money is meant to be spent on TAFE or uni...<b>whereas the kid (its mostly teens who claim it) keep it to themselves and spend it on leisure...</b>

it is therefore assumed TAFE and uni is being paid for by their parents...<b>so why give these people money when it is obvious they dont need it...thats 5000 dollars of mine and your tax dollars going to lazy arse kids who are spending uni money on petrol and going out with mates...</b>

whereas i have worked hard to buy my car and earn money to go out with mates...

its simply stupid...

give your opinions...and i also realise that this student allowance isnt always spent this way

Generalisations really shit me.

I've worked hard for one year between year 12 and uni, and I have basically supported my parents and helped them pay bills throughout the year.

I have no car or nothing to show for the amount I earnt last year plus as well as my HECS debt I now owe my college about $1500 that they have given me an extension on.

So please shutup, I feel I earn this payment and for you to assume I'm a person who has been or will be using it for smokes/alcohol all the time really shits me.

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
i spend my youth allowance on beer and smokes and gamble the rest away at the TAB

what of it

mattyg87

HSC
Isn't student allowance MEANT to be spent on petrol though?? Petrol or transport to get to uni is expensive, and not all students can afford it. I work and i also get the student allowance, and i'd be pretty stuffed without it i think. I can't work anymore than i currently do, coz it would affect my grades.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
not necessarily
the money you get from student allowance basically pays off bills, food, rent etc
its more meant to be a lifesaver rather than money spent on recreation

samerin

HSC
the amount of assets and income is tested when applying for youth allowance... the max people receive is $330 per fortnight....go to centrelink website for more info:burn:

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
samerin said:
the amount of assets and income is tested when applying for youth allowance... the max people receive is $330 per fortnight....go to centrelink website for more info:burn:
Not quite. I'm currently getting $450 per fortnight. This includes rent assistance.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
my youth allowance currently goes into my parent's bank account but i've just turned 18 and would like it to start going in mine. so does it happen automatically or do i have to ring up centrelink or go to a branch and ask them to make the change?

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
cuppy said:
my youth allowance currently goes into my parent's bank account but i've just turned 18 and would like it to start going in mine. so does it happen automatically or do i have to ring up centrelink or go to a branch and ask them to make the change?
Ring them up and ask them to change it. You can do it on the internet using centrelink's self serving too.

HSC
I know someone who has a full time job, high income, family have high income (they have a big ass house) and that person gets youth allowance...

should i dob to centrelink? :)

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
I know someone who has a full time job, high income, family have high income (they have a big ass house) and that person gets youth allowance...

should i dob to centrelink? :)
yes

HSC
maggie bea said:
hmmm.. well seeing as we're having a bit of a whinge i might just throw my own in-just a bit of a general 'woe is me' 'life is tough' sticking up 4myself whinge.

I am a lazy arse kid who is on youth allowance. funnilly enough though-im not in the least lazy. i work my ass off and am still struggling. my mother walked out on my family when i was 2 and my poor and disabled dad was left to fend 4 us and was therefore on a disability/single parents pesnion. I dont no what fascist folks out there wud have had him done. ever since my whole family has struggled 2 put food on the table, pay the rent, be there 4 eachutha and still make our way thru school. despite the odds, iv just got in2 art school where i study 9 til 5 monday to friday at a school which is 2 hrs away from my home. i then work all night and weekend in a trashy bodgy paying job to earn not even enough to cover my art supplies and travel expenses. both my sisters have been in the same demographic, yet 1 is now a qualified teacher and the other a chemical engineer.on top of this, i have a mentally disabled brother to care for. no matter how much we sluggd we neva wud have evn got out of our country hick town without a little assistance, and truth of it is, in the end we will b contributing a heap of 'tax dollars' back in2 the system. im not stupid n im not modest-i know i have talent. wud u have that talent b wasted n not paying future tax dollars just because i was born into a 'disadvantaged' social demographic?

so frankly, it sux that u cant get an allowance n ur parents still rnt helping u out evn tho there on a crap load of money. if this is the case, u shud really move out n become independent. but u also really need 2 relise that sum ppl out there hav it tough too and wudnt make it without that extra little pittance from the government. i know that many people use their allowances unwisely and irresponsibly, but try not 2 b so harsh, they r just mislead n maybe didnt have the same love and support growing up. but it is really offensive 2 have somebody say such an extreme thing when they dont appear 2 b aware of what the whole story is. it pisses me off to see young kids in their new jeans whipping out their ipods as they get into their littel cars and whinging about how tough studying is and how poor they r. heres a tip-sell ur ipod. use public transport. use birfday presents 4 school supplies. pak a healthy lunch. run instead of using the gym. live in clothes from op shops. n then whinge about how tough life is 4 u. bottom line-if u cant hack it then do something else.

jealoisy is a curse. but do u think like im not jealous of u?

but neway, that was ur whinge-n here was mine. n very long at that. peaCe

ps im aware that i m beinga total hypocrite by generalising just as the first poster did. but hey-what the heck-its satisfying sumtimes right.

YOU should take up a english class, improve your english grammar :)

Danoz The Great

HSC
samerin said:
No, the max payment for youth allowance is $348.10. On top of this you could recieve rent assistance if you're eligible for it. The max payment is $104.00.

I recieve both max payments because of my high rent and being independant ($452.20 a fortnight), but only get about $66 a fortnight to spare, and most of this is being saved anyway, lol.

dodgyfilokid

HSC
I will throw my two cents in to this debate...i just received a letter from centrelink telling me that I dont qualify for the YA coz my parents' income and assets are above the limit....even though ive declared on the form that my expenses over then next 6 months will outpace the amount i earn each work (average 200 a week)...my parents arent well off...we're on the middle side...step dad is the highest income earner while mum is only part time and earns below 30k...i earned 5500 last yr and this year expect round 13000 gross even though ive had the same job (kmart)..

I pay my way through uni...everything is on hecs...textbooks came out from savings my mum made for me...but everything else i pay..transport which is 27.50 a week..food...other expenses i have such as phone and net access on my computer and well my parents arent helping me out..they reckon its my choice to go to uni (even tho stepdad thinks ppl who dun go to uni r well ignorant..wot a hypocrite he is)....and next year im looking to move out since uni and home are killing me travel wise....1 hr 40mins one way even tho both places are in sydney....i asked centrelink what happens if i move away from home and they said we will still need to ask for ur parent's income since u aint independent in our eyes till you reach 25...i mean thats just plain crap i reckon....those people out there who are really in need of the allowance but cant get it are worse off....i myself cant get it even though i move out so i just wonder how will i be able to scrape my way with payin rent and everything else...

i just think they should increase the payments in line with inflation to reflect the true cost of living and also adjust the means test and allowable income levels to make sure those people who need it get it but not raise it to the point that those who are well off and dont need it can get it...say increase the income level to 80,000 like in the family tax benefit system..and then after 50,000 start tapering off the amount people get..and redefine the meaning of independent so that those actually genuinely needing to live outside home or are in dire financial constraints can access the system..the system needs to be fair but flexible at the same time coz at the end of the day those who get the YA pay it back through income tax...

ps..i dont advocate YA being treated as a debt on top of HECS..HECS is already a massive debt we owe and we dont need extra debt on top of things being expensive

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
dodgyfilokid said:
i just think they should increase the payments in line with inflation to reflect the true cost of living and also adjust the means test and allowable income levels to make sure those people who need it get it but not raise it to the point that those who are well off and dont need it can get it...say increase the income level to 80,000 like in the family tax benefit system..and then after 50,000 start tapering off the amount people get..and redefine the meaning of independent so that those actually genuinely needing to live outside home or are in dire financial constraints can access the system..the system needs to be fair but flexible at the same time coz at the end of the day those who get the YA pay it back through income tax...
lol 80 000 lol

thats more generous that the british system.

if your mother earns <30 000 and your stepfather is middle side assuming 50k, let's say a combined income of 75k. no you're not going to get youth allowance and you shouldn't be allowed with the asset test. there are people that have it a lot harder than you

you're a whinger

Last edited:

dodgyfilokid

HSC
hmm not so much a whinger...im just saying that the YA and the family tax benefit systems should be at least harmonised because theres a discrepancy between the two systems....the current system is somewhat bad in that lets say someone goes to uni in wollongong and has to live there cause he/she cant do the travelling required each day by train (90 mins from sydney and back)....under the current system and as how i understand it...the person can get YA under the living away from home rate but its still subject to the two tests even tho the person him/herself pays for the rent and other living expenses....i know some people have cars and can do the trip each day but spare a thought for those who have to put up with early morning wake ups just to go to uni each day...i consider myself lucky in that its not that bad for me but im trying to put things into perspective so that fairness and flexibility at least go hand in hand

Danoz The Great

HSC
dodgyfilokid said:
The amount of YA payments get reviewed annually, where inflation etc. is taken into account.

koube0530

HSC
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
YOU should take up a english class, improve your english grammar :)
He should take up a english class, while you should take up an english class to improve your english grammar.

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
i paid my share of taxes every year for the past 4 years, and i fully expect the youth allowance paid to me from next month as i will commence full time studies, i am considered independant so family means test is not involved which is good, i never claimed allowance before.

i personally dont believe taxes i paid to the government was effectively used for myself anyway!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)