The F1 Thread (2 Viewers)

ledzeppelin

HSC
re: The Official F1 Thread

Nebuchanezzar said:
Vettel lost kudos points from me for his pass on Hamilton. His gain was minimal and the devastation for Hamilton would have been massive. Mebbe Vettel wants to be in Ferrari in 2010.
He was racing for position with Hamilton and wanted to maximise his points from the race...
(Hopefully though Vettel is in a Ferrari sooner rather than later, he's an awesome driver)

It definitely was a tremendous finish. I woke up my sister yelling when Vettel passed Hamilton, but was then quite crushed when Hamilton got passed Glock.
If only Trulli hadn't spun early in the race, Kubica didn't start on slicks, the rain held off for one more lap... etc etc.

Oh well, bring on 2009 and my first live GP :D :D

edit: lt was an appropriate way for David Coulthard to round out 2009. How many races did he finish this year?
edit edit: It seems Coulthard only DNF'ed 5 times this year. Thought it was much more

Last edited:

Muz4PM

HSC

Against my better judgement, I awoke to watch the race. I am glad I did, it was amazing.

Firstly, well done to Lewis, as you may realise, I am not his biggest fan, but credit where credit is due, he did well. Not to take anything away from Massa, he drove a great race and did everything he could, but in the end it seemed like a gamble for Toyota paid off for McLaren.

In respect to the Toyotas, I don't think there was anythins sus. As said, they stayed out on the dry tyres, a gamble on the weather and track, which obviously didn't pay off for them.

Dissappointing for Coulthard, to not even make it past the first corner in his final race, not a fitting end for a great career.

I was disappointed in Heikki to be honest. Earlier in the season, I said he was unlucky, but recent performances haven't lit my world on fire. McLaren probably favoured Lewis a majority of the time, and as such Hekki suffered. However, for two similar cars, and considering where they each qualified, Heikki probably hasn't been doing as well in the race as he could.

A pretty bad race for the BMW's, Kubica made a bad choice going out on dry tyres, and Heidfeld had a bad start, something which he never really recovered from. None the less, given the fact we had developed next seasons cars from about Montreal and put alot of effort into KERS, I hope we will have a strong car for next season.

Finally, Renault. Alonso is in my opinion, the best driver on the track, Piquet not. I am not sure, there maybe some tweaking behind the seens to give Alonso the edge, but they are in similar cars, and Piquet hasn't really mixed it with the top runners for a while

Anyway, bring on '09. New cars, new technology and maybe new drivers, I cannot wait.

Last edited:

Muz4PM

HSC

ledzeppelin said:
(Hopefully though Vettel is in a Ferrari sooner rather than later, he's an awesome driver)
Hopefully we can lure him back to BMW, maybe to replace Heidfeld if he decides to retire in the next year or two, or if Kubica is lured away.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

ledzeppelin said:
He was racing for position with Hamilton and wanted to maximise his points from the race...
but it was mean :(

muz4pm said:
Firstly, well done to Lewis, as you may realise, I am not his biggest fan, but credit where credit is due, he did well. Not to take anything away from Massa, he drove a great race and did everything he could, but in the end it seemed like a gamble for Toyota paid off for McLaren.
credit to lewis for toyotas mistakes? :p

Muz4PM

HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
credit to lewis for toyotas mistakes? :p
Lol, credit mainly for the stuff he did over the season. He made a number of mistakes, which show that he probably hasn't completely matured as a driver and there were some races where he was lucky (like Monaco) but you have to get a fair share of podiums and drive well in a number of races to be a title contender. He did well, and he deserves credit for his good performances, which delivered him the title.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

Muz4PM said:
Against my better judgement, I awoke to watch the race. I am glad I did, it was amazing.

In respect to the Toyotas, I don't think there was anythins sus. As said, they stayed out on the dry tyres, a gamble on the weather and track, which obviously didn't pay off for them.

Dissappointing for Coulthard, to not even make it past the first corner in his final race, not a fitting end for a great career.

I was disappointed in Heikki to be honest. Earlier in the season, I said he was unlucky, but recent performances haven't lit my world on fire. McLaren probably favoured Lewis a majority of the time, and as such Hekki suffered. However, for two similar cars, and considering where they each qualified, Heikki probably hasn't been doing as well in the race as he could.

A pretty bad race for the BMW's, Kubica made a bad choice going out on dry tyres, and Heidfeld had a bad start, something which he never really recovered from. None the less, given the fact we had developed next seasons cars from about Montreal and put alot of effort into KERS, I hope we will have a strong car for next season.

Finally, Renault. Alonso is in my opinion, the best driver on the track, Piquet not. I am not sure, there maybe some tweaking behind the seens to give Alonso the edge, but they are in similar cars, and Piquet hasn't really mixed it with the top runners for a while

Anyway, bring on '09. New cars, new technology and maybe new drivers, I cannot wait.
ARGH, I fell asleep at 315am watching Apocaylpse Now waiting for F1. heard the result, so lame. FUCK YOU TIMO GLOCK.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

I had it on Seinfeld waiting for it to start. Can't fall asleep during Seinfeld. pwned.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

ol Bob Kubica is copping some flak for messing about with Hamilton/Vettel

Hmm

Muz4PM

HSC

Nebuchanezzar said:
ol Bob Kubica is copping some flak for messing about with Hamilton/Vettel

Hmm
Yeah, I know. I was surprised that he made those moves, especially considering the scrap that was going on ahead of him.

I think as a lapped driver he is entitle to attempt to unlap himself if he sees a passing opportunity, even though in all probability there was no chance of a points place finish.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

I think a certain amount of class is required in those situations, and ol' Bob showed that he kinda sorta didn't have it. Could have ended in absolute disaster for Vettel and/or Hamilton, and with no real benefit to Kubica. Same with Vettel passing Hamilton, but on a much smaller scale (since Vettel had benefit to be had). What Robby should have done was said "Gee I'm getting myself in the middle of two front runners, one of which is vying for the world championship. Mebbe I ought to step bak!"

EDIT: I guess I was wrong about Bourdais too. Looked to me like a clumsy move but everyone else is saying it was Trulli's fault. I can live with that. Bravo Bourdais!

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

I hope Hamilton realises just how lucky he is to have passed Glock like that. Until that moment, it had been Massa's race, and Massa's championship, and a cruel blow to have won it and then see itsnatched away at the last corner. Hamtilon should appreciate that small victory because without passing Glock, he would have lost the championship on a countback because Massa had won six races to Hamilton's five.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Hmm. What I was saying about Vettel was kinda dumb. I take that back.

el gwapo

HSC

okay since the majority of the Hamilton haters didn't show up to give due respect, let's move on to the 2009 season.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/allarticles/282068/f1-news-the-shape-of-things-to-come.html

That's the first time I've seen the new aero regulations applied. I don't remember having those front wings so wide. And so flat, I've been used to seeing it curved and all. It's crazy. I haven't seen rear wings so small since the late 80s, early 90s.

About the front wings, in terms of racing actions we might see a lot more of them falling off since there's less space to turn in without expecting a bump.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

Got more photos so you can see these things in action. Most of these are of BMW as they seem to be the ones doing most of the work on the 2009-spec car:

BMW-Sauber:

Honda:

Williams:

Ferrari:

Look at that sidepod! It won't be appearing on Ferrari's 2009 chalenger; asymmetrical cars are hell to get the balance right on.

These are early days, mind: there's still a lot of room for development. The new front wings are designed so that the driver can actually adjust it +/- 3 degrees twice each lap. I like that the cars now have cleaner lines about them, abandoning wing-bridges and other aerodynamic aids bolted onto them.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Ferrari looks way different - their rear wing looks far too big.

I like the front wing size, but the rear wing size is absurd. Eh, if it makes for better racing then ok I can deal with it I suppose. But yer, rear wing is crazy.

The Williams and Honda still has winglets on the side. I thought those were being banned? The BMW doesn't have any, and the ones on the Ferrari are remarkably primitive.

Also, I hope that the Williams flywheel does better than the battery - it seems like a far better system. Cheaper, more efficient - if the gyroscopic effects/mechanical disadvantage (more prone to failure, i guess?) don't muck it up too much it'll be a winner I reckon.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A

BMW-Sauber is the only team that is running a full 2009-spec car. Everyone else is doing a hybrid of '08 and '09 parts. Honda are even running two full 2008 cars for Senna and di Grassi.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC

Bourdais is performing well at tests then. Sato's better, yeah, but he's dominating Buemi and wasn't too far behind Vettel today. Read something about Buemi being able to bring more sponsors than Bourdais though. Surely the ability of a racer is more important. I mean...Bourdais...slicks...simple aero! Blurgh!

Scissors

HSC

wow, this thread's got 76000 views and only 5000 posts.

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC

what do all you guys think about the 'medal' championship?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)