The Individual and Society (1 Viewer)

Jinglebell

HSC
I'm reading "the picture of dorian gray" and trying to convince myself that it's study...as are the poems of edgar allen poe i've been obsessed with lately, of course;)

apart from that, 3u study is nonexistant.

princess_czar

hey peeps... im new to this, just writing to say hi + wondering if anyone else found north and south to be as excruciatingly bad as i did...? we only spent about four weeks doing it in class so i am completely stuck when it comes to studying it.... argh...
for supplementary texts im doing tess d'urbervilles and sense and sensibility (modern film)... any other suggestions? thanx.

s2ophie

HSC
Hi!!!
scroll back through this thread and you'll find other supplemary material. I'm doing tess aswell.

luckily i didn't do North and South!

Charlee

Um hi pplz...i'm kinda new to this..I also did P&P, Browning, and A Doll's House. I'm just wondering if u guys can suggests other supp. materials...i've already got Frankenstein..but i feel it doesn't link to P&P somehow...

Thnx :)

yasminwright

hey everyone,
how do you study for individual and society, knowing we are extension students how on earth can we come up witha unique and insiteful response to a completely hum-drum mundane and overly analysed set of works in this topic? is it humanly impossible or is it just me?

CursedBeauty

Hihi ^^
I'm doing PnP, A Doll's House and Browning's poetry. My related material are Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert and The Awakening by Kate Chopin. Those ones are really close to A Doll's House and some poetry of Browning's. But anything is good, just as long as you can spin it to your point, with evidence of course.

VAMPIRELLA

I'm doing A Doll's House, P&P and the Browning poems also, I think all the texts are pretty cool.

A great related text : "Women and Marriage in the 19th century" by Joan Perkin. It covers all areas (politcal, social, religious etc) and really delves into nineteenth century ways of thinking. :)

Scotty_HKHS

My supp. material is The French Lieutenants Woman... on VHS at most Video Stores, it's an awesome material.

Check it out if you're in last minute worries.

-Scott

s2ophie

HSC
With French Lieutenants women be wary. The book is a prescribed text for postmodernism but i suppose the film would be ok

s2ophie

HSC
yes you did you wrote a practice essay ash!! its not like you need to stud a lot missy!

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
Anyone here into Tolstoy, Joyce, Wilde, Conrad??
heh.. I wish War and Peace was study... Ive read that more than I have studyed... not cool

Luci IV

It seems everyone's like me - doing P&P, Doll's House and Browning. I really liked this subect, as wanky as that may seem to some. It really does give you insight into how other people think etc. Im actually using a piece of non-fiction for suplimentary material (not sure if it's been done before but its relevant so good luck to me!) Caroline Chisolm by Margret Kiddle and the miniseries version of Daniel Derronda. DD I highly recommend to anyone because it deals with many strands of the individual in society - Jews in Victorian England, a woman who is enslaved to her husband, the corresponding life of a woman who has left her husband etc. Highly enjoyable and therfore highly reccommended. Work on these texts does not seem like as much of a chore.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I don't mind I&S either... I really liked Browning's poetry and who could call P&P a chore? it's enjoyable to watch lol.

monopoly19

HSC
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how much emphasis (if any) we have to put on techniques in an essay? Our teacher suddenly sprung it on us in the last lesson that we should address these in our essays, but I'm not sure to what extent he meant...

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by monopoly19
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how much emphasis (if any) we have to put on techniques in an essay? Our teacher suddenly sprung it on us in the last lesson that we should address these in our essays, but I'm not sure to what extent he meant...
ahh A LOT-- my teacher marks it and she's obsessed with them

emily

hah - i should be doing nth and sth but haven't read it yet and am not going to!!!
mwahahahahaa...

p&p and a dolls house will have to do.
supp is tess and forsyte saga.

mmm, i haven't even opened my 3 unit folder in two and a half months... will try tomorrow i think...

cgsadam

We did Portrait of a Lady, Browning, and A Dolls House - I don't know which I'm going to use for the exam yet.

And my extras are Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Madame Bovary...

Any ideas on what the creative section might be?

Afro

Ok people i aint an englishy kinda guy.. I dun think.. But i got no idea wat makes a good essay.. I write all da bull^% dat i know and can fit into da hr for each essay but i cant pull off da markz..

But as a guy i recognise that in essence P&P is a romantic fantasy that in actual society would never have occured... Browning and Ibsen say it as it realy is no need for this mushy stuff to cover up the truths of the subject..

Jinglebell

HSC
Originally posted by Afro
But as a guy i recognise that in essence P&P is a romantic fantasy that in actual society would never have occured... Browning and Ibsen say it as it realy is no need for this mushy stuff to cover up the truths of the subject..
You might need to start by looking a little further into it than that. Here's a start, from my interpretations:

P&P is a critique of social values, even though Austen doesn't go as far as Browning or Ibsen in that her characters end up embracing the social mores they have rebelled against - P&P is a gentle criticism.

Browning is basically telling it like it is for his characters, who are very much individuals in their society. his dramatic monologues are from the POV of the character, giving us a psychological insight into the individual's mind.

Remember that Ibsen intended 'A Doll's House' to be not feminist, but 'humanist' (not the secular belief system you may know about from SoR, just the most appropriate way i can think of just now to describe it). Ibsen is defending the right of all people to 'find themselves'...there's a good quote from Nora for this:) basically, Ibsen is saying that social values shouldn't interfere with one's right to humanity...i think...i'm a little risty on ADH since i haven't studied it yet and we literally spent 2 classes on it.

hope that's given you a bit of a basis, i'm sure ash, s2ophie and the gang will be more than willing to elaborate on anything that doesn't make sense:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)