The Individual and Society (1 Viewer)

mistermouse

Originally posted by muldersgun
my class has finished P&P and almost through Gaskell's North and South ( I think). Leaving only Ibsen's a Doll's House and the 2 supplementry texts
sounds like my class
were doin browning as our 3rd
do u hav ur texts of own choosing chosen? if so wat u doin? *weeps bitterly*

frazzle

HSC
we finished: Pride and Prejudice - Simon Langton's movie version

rigth now we're doing: A Doll's House - Ipsen

and we will be doing: North and South

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Originally posted by clerisy
So grk_styl, would you recommend buyingthe Barron's study guide for a Doll's House, or just stick to the info on the net (which is quite substantial, anyway????
The Barron's study guide and the one on the net is EXACTLY the same. Sure you can go out and buy the book, but that would be a waste of money. I find it easier printing them off the net, that way I can highlight and write all over it and put the info in specific piles.

Just a question: Did anyone do Elizabeth Browning as a related text? Has anyone got any info on any of her poems? It would be heaps appreciated if you could send them to me!

Last edited:

GemmaHavok

Suck my kiss
two floors down getting high in the backroom
HSC
Can I just say, I think it's a total rip off that we didn't get to do crime fiction! Who the fuck wants to do the individual in society!? It's crap, sure, Colin Firth is sexy and A dolls House is funny and full of sexual inuendo, but really? We got the short straw.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
lol I don't think it's THAT bad. We did a similar topic in prelim to the IAS, so I'm used to it.

Hey, has anyone written any short stories on I&S. I'm worried that in my 1/2 yearlies, they're going to ask us to write a story about being the Individual in society. I can't write stories!!! lol So if anyone wants to help me, or send me one of theirs, it would be appreciated muchly!

Take_me_Away

Unknown
HSC
Dear People of Extension

This course is absolutely killing me at the moment! I've done P&P and loved it because I knew the text well.. although I'm afraid I focussed too much on the novel and not the TV series. But Browning! He is crazy. I have no idea what he is talking about, we spent the last two lessons writing copious notes about political theories to apply to him but I don't even understand what hes going on about! We're doing my Last Duchess (which is ok) and The Bishop Orders.... If anyone out there can help me understand this guy I will love you forever. Tips, ideas.. anything.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Have a look at my dot point notes on Browning's poems. You can find them on the main BoS page, then click English Extension.... they are the notes by Ashlee B. I hope they help, if you have any specific questions about Browing ask away.

impossible_princess

Hey, hehe my first post!! lol Were doing Indiv & Society as well :) I have an assessment due on wednesday on episode 6 of the P&P miniseries, eeeep! lol

blam_babe

Ahhhh I have to answer many stupid qns on P&P which I so dont' feel like doing right now. Too much to do, too bored to do it.

ATM we're finishing P&P, about to do Nth and Sth and then in term 3 we're gonna do A Dolls House

clerisy

HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
Hey, has anyone written any short stories on I&S. I'm worried that in my 1/2 yearlies, they're going to ask us to write a story about being the Individual in society. I can't write stories!!! lol So if anyone wants to help me, or send me one of theirs, it would be appreciated muchly!
Ugh, I know. Thank God we don't need to write a short story for our half yearlies... i've still got six months to knock some preparation ones up. But its painful. I tried to write some over the holidays, but I've got nothing to offer you-- they were all rapidly deleted after the first few lines.

Its just so HARD!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
I know. I'm just going to pray my teacher doesn't ask for a story in the second question. But then again, 3 unit isn't assessed for my 1/2 yearlies, so if I write a crappy one, it's not going to count.

clerisy

HSC
I have a question, which may be a stupid one. What do they mean by "philosophical paradigms"? What are the philosophical ones that are going to influence the texts and therefore integrate themselves into our essays?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
By philosophical paradigms I believe they would be referring to things such as the place of women in society, financially tiered class systems, institutions such as the church and the aristocracy and their ideologies...

Stuff like that.

clerisy

HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
By philosophical paradigms I believe they would be referring to things such as the place of women in society, financially tiered class systems, institutions such as the church and the aristocracy and their ideologies...

Stuff like that.

Well. Thankyou. That's much nicer than I feared.

Originally posted by grk_styl
lol Yeh. I wrote an essay for I&S on A Doll's House and P&P and I've used the same one for three exams. Just adapted it to the question. It's worked everytime. I don't mind though.
True enough. And the less there is to learn (in a year where there's far more to be learned than I can keep on top of) the better.

Sasky

HSC
Hey ppl, I have half yearlies coming up next week and my ext exam will be a creative writing piece set on individual and society and 'North and South'. Any ideas? She's gotten us to do some practice ones which have been modernised versions to key events in the novel. It's quite bizarre really, we've done no essays what so ever that has to do with this topic, my teach is really wrapped up in creavo pieces... anyhowz, feel throw some ideas @ my confused head... Thanks :p

kelli_86

hi there! im new on this thing so yeah, my classs texts are N&S, P&P and Browning. We've only done N&S n watched the first hour of P&P lol, we're lazy. Our class (including the teacher) decided we hated N&S so we gave up studying it too closely, hoping we dont have to write on it for the HSC! lol. i chose my 3 related texts in the hols, Wilde's "Importance of Being Ernest", Walton's "House of Mirth" and the 95 or 96 film version of Austen's Mansfield park (only coz Johnny is hot) lol. anyhoo, i was bored n came on here to say hi so HI!

felafel

hey... that's cool.. my school's doin N+S, P+P and Browning too! oh but also 'a doll's house' because they want us to have an extra

felafel

Originally posted by Sasky
Hey ppl, I have half yearlies coming up next week and my ext exam will be a creative writing piece set on individual and society and 'North and South'. Any ideas? She's gotten us to do some practice ones which have been modernised versions to key events in the novel. It's quite bizarre really, we've done no essays what so ever that has to do with this topic, my teach is really wrapped up in creavo pieces... anyhowz, feel throw some ideas @ my confused head... Thanks :p
uhhh.. id say some soppy story about a chick wanting to marry a guy who's poor and of the lower classes

or a story where the chick saves the guy during a strike - like Margaret saving Mr Thornton.

hmmm... im not very creative am i!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)