UAC is now open (1 Viewer)

Chazure

HSC
Uni Grad
Is there actually any point in placing USYD Law at like the second and third preference behind say ANU Law on first? Because l mean, if l dont make it over the 96 point for my first preference there isn't much a chance to make it into a 99.7 one anyway?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
just choose courses that you will enjoy. I saw a few people's post and went WTF. If you want to go to a particular uni then put it 1st and not 4th >.> Dont choose your courses based on ATAR cut off but rather choose it based on your preferences. You will never know if the cut off will be higher for one than the other.

For instance I was able to go to both USYD and UNSW for my law degree but I placed UNSW 1st choice and got it but then found out that my friends were going to USYD so I tried for a 2nd round. I was offered a 2nd round at USYD but declined it as finally made my decision to go to UNSW. Now everyone might be thinking why even bother putting USYD 2nd if you are not going to make it to UNSW. Well you never know if one day UNSW's law cut off will be higher than USYD. Not saying that because I study there but because cut off is based on a supply demand relationship.

So just a rough drop down of my preferences from last year so people who intend to do law and want some back up ideas or something.

1. B Com/LLB - UNSW
2. B Com/LLB - USYD
3. B Com (International) - UNSW [if i didnt get into law and got say 97 atar i could transfer into law later and if i still cant transfer in, the idea of going on exchange for a year interests me]
4. B Com - UNSW [same reason as above but if my atar was 96 instead of 97]
5. B Com - USYD [somehow if i missed out on B Com at UNSW]
6. B Agr Eco - USYD [somehow if i dont manage to get over 95 atar, I received a scholarship for 4 years valued at 8.5k a year for this degree]
7. B Res Eco - USYD [same reason as B Agr Eco although this degree's cut off is higher but it's more restricted than the Agr Eco degree which had more flexibility]

so yea if you are planning to do law and your atar estimate is hovering over the cut off then choose the partner subjects for your law degree as the 3rd+ preferences

@Chazure, just a question to ask you. You don't have to answer it or anything but are you possibly dux of your school? If you heard about the AAA scheme for UNSW then you can get into law with a cut off of say 95. Not sure about ANU's cut off was it 96? so yea that's a possible reason why some people put ANU 1st and then say UNSW 2nd cause they prefer ANU over UNSW but are hovering over the 95/96 ATAR.

Chazure

HSC
Uni Grad
just choose courses that you will enjoy. I saw a few people's post and went WTF. If you want to go to a particular uni then put it 1st and not 4th >.> Dont choose your courses based on ATAR cut off but rather choose it based on your preferences. You will never know if the cut off will be higher for one than the other.

For instance I was able to go to both USYD and UNSW for my law degree but I placed UNSW 1st choice and got it but then found out that my friends were going to USYD so I tried for a 2nd round. I was offered a 2nd round at USYD but declined it as finally made my decision to go to UNSW. Now everyone might be thinking why even bother putting USYD 2nd if you are not going to make it to UNSW. Well you never know if one day UNSW's law cut off will be higher than USYD. Not saying that because I study there but because cut off is based on a supply demand relationship.

So just a rough drop down of my preferences from last year so people who intend to do law and want some back up ideas or something.

1. B Com/LLB - UNSW
2. B Com/LLB - USYD
3. B Com (International) - UNSW [if i didnt get into law and got say 97 atar i could transfer into law later and if i still cant transfer in, the idea of going on exchange for a year interests me]
4. B Com - UNSW [same reason as above but if my atar was 96 instead of 97]
5. B Com - USYD [somehow if i missed out on B Com at UNSW]
6. B Agr Eco - USYD [somehow if i dont manage to get over 95 atar, I received a scholarship for 4 years valued at 8.5k a year for this degree]
7. B Res Eco - USYD [same reason as B Agr Eco although this degree's cut off is higher but it's more restricted than the Agr Eco degree which had more flexibility]

so yea if you are planning to do law and your atar estimate is hovering over the cut off then choose the partner subjects for your law degree as the 3rd+ preferences

@Chazure, just a question to ask you. You don't have to answer it or anything but are you possibly dux of your school? If you heard about the AAA scheme for UNSW then you can get into law with a cut off of say 95. Not sure about ANU's cut off was it 96? so yea that's a possible reason why some people put ANU 1st and then say UNSW 2nd cause they prefer ANU over UNSW but are hovering over the 95/96 ATAR.
A fair few are pretty close around the top of my school so l won't really know who gets dux end of the year. Didn't know about the scheme, always kinda assumed usyd/unsw had like no alternative entry schemes cept for a few because of the massive demand and competitiveness for the course. Thanks for the insights :D

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Im going to try

Macq uni law/commerce

USYD commerce and eco

UNSW eco

MACQ applied finance/ eco

UNSW engineering

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC
New england and another uni has a cut off for law at 84.XX :)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
A fair few are pretty close around the top of my school so l won't really know who gets dux end of the year. Didn't know about the scheme, always kinda assumed usyd/unsw had like no alternative entry schemes cept for a few because of the massive demand and competitiveness for the course. Thanks for the insights :D
haha no worries. Well actually its not quite dux. Your school nominates and outstanding student for that scheme but if your school doesnt at all, ask them to nominate you or something. each school can only award that AAA to one student and it will allow them to enter any courses within 5 atar points of their atar except medicine. Yea so its not necessarily dux but schools usually choose their dux to get it. either way good luck with it!!!

Readaholic

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, do you have any advice for the UNSW AAA scholarship? My school is nominating me for it and I'm not sure if I have to do anything. Thanks!

chubzy

HSC
1. B Com/LLB - UNSW (wishful thinking...)
2. B Com (Co-op) - UNSW (REALISTIC GOAL :D:D:D:D:D)
3. B Com (International) - UNSW - same reasoning as Trans4M, especially with exchange! but apparently the transfer system for UNSW changed so its 100 minimum spots (?) that doesn't count your ATAR...no idea if that would make it worse
4. B Com - UNSW - same as above
5. Com/LLB - ANU
6. Media and Communications/LLB - ANU
7. Media (PR and Advertising) - UNSW (new course!)

muzeikchun852

HSC
haha no worries. Well actually its not quite dux. Your school nominates and outstanding student for that scheme but if your school doesnt at all, ask them to nominate you or something. each school can only award that AAA to one student and it will allow them to enter any courses within 5 atar points of their atar except medicine. Yea so its not necessarily dux but schools usually choose their dux to get it. either way good luck with it!!!
having 5 extra atar points would be great help !

sunshinegirl

HSC
feeling out of place with all the crazy atar aims and people wanting to do med/law/engineering, but i want to teach :)

1. B Arts/B Education (Secondary - Humanities) at UNSW
2. B Arts UNSW
3. B Ed (Secondary - Humanities)/B Arts at Sydney Uni
4. B Arts Sydney Uni
5. B Arts/Dip Ed at Macquarie
6. B Ancient History (Hons) at Macquarie

I only need 76 as an atar to get my first preference = thank goodness, this relieves the stress somewhat! but i'm so so so sick of people telling me i am going to "waste" my atar/my marks/my life if i do this course. why doesn't anyone seem to appreciate that not everyone is interested or wants to do med or law????

_deloso

HSC
feeling out of place with all the crazy atar aims and people wanting to do med/law/engineering, but i want to teach :)

1. B Arts/B Education (Secondary - Humanities) at UNSW
2. B Arts UNSW
3. B Ed (Secondary - Humanities)/B Arts at Sydney Uni
4. B Arts Sydney Uni
5. B Arts/Dip Ed at Macquarie
6. B Ancient History (Hons) at Macquarie

I only need 76 as an atar to get my first preference = thank goodness, this relieves the stress somewhat! but i'm so so so sick of people telling me i am going to "waste" my atar/my marks/my life if i do this course. why doesn't anyone seem to appreciate that not everyone is interested or wants to do med or law????
Do whatever you like. dont listen to 'em. If you enjoy what you do then you'll regret nothing and chances are you'll do very good in it 'cos you actually enjoy doing it and not forced to do it. Just ignore them.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Can we apply for UAC then finish the application later? Or does it have to be done all in the one session?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)