Use of the word 'gay'... (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Maybe gay could follow the trend with bastard... an insult which also referred to illegitimate offspring but whose current usage even includes as a term of endearment....

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I said "how gay" to a lesbian friend of mine (referring to uni assessments, not her sexuality), just to see how she'd react.

lol.
a lesbian friend of mine

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
If use as an insult creates a subconscious mindset of discrimination and vilification then it doesn't really matter who you're with it still contributes to that mindset....

Charlessunstrum

HSC
I guess it's kind of like the word 'retard'; it's a fun word but it can easily be taken offensively.

Tangent

HSC
Yesh. People sometimes say things without really knowing what they mean, or meant.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The following words no longer have the older or intended meaning they once did:

Retarded: This now means something is worthless or simply stupid
Gay: Derogatory subject, once again, something stupid. - Bullies and those who wish to accuse often use 'fag' but it doesn't seem to work as an insult anymore.

And I bet there are many more.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Who cares. Its about the same level as calling someone a girl for doing something perceived as weak or inferior "get up you girl, it was only a light tackle!"

Lukybear

HSC
Mabey its evidence of how society view the "gays"?

Just Mabey.

HSC
If friends are saying bad things are gay when I am around I try and make them feel uncomfortable about it. More as a joke than anything, but I don't know. People will say that when thay say "gay" they don't mean "gay" they mean bad. But then, why is it that "you homo", "fag", "queer" etc all have similar blanket derogatory statement implicatinos?

My least grammatical paragraph ever.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Who cares. Its about the same level as calling someone a girl for doing something perceived as weak or inferior "get up you girl, it was only a light tackle!"
It can be argued that this ingrains discriminatory attitudes about women...

emmcyclopedia

HSC
If friends are saying bad things are gay when I am around I try and make them feel uncomfortable about it. More as a joke than anything, but I don't know. People will say that when thay say "gay" they don't mean "gay" they mean bad. But then, why is it that "you homo", "fag", "queer" etc all have similar blanket derogatory statement implicatinos?

My least grammatical paragraph ever.
When you call someone a "homo" i guess it is generally directed at males, and unless they are homosexual themselves, you will be emasculating them by insulting their sexuality, thus their ego is taking a hit (generally speaking).

i don't really like using the word, but it just comes out naturally sometimes. yeah, i think its a bit lame to kinda shut down an entire portion of society with such fleetingly immature comments. wait. does the word lame offend lame people? lol, oops.

HSC
It can be argued that this ingrains discriminatory attitudes about women...
Yes. Homophobia commonly reflects latent misogyny.

Gender Relations in Global ... - Google Books

I would also note that there is a suprising level of anti-effeminacy attitudes within gay male subcultures. This article is really interesting:
Kittiwut Taywaditep, ‘Marginalisation Amongst the Marginalised: Gay Men’s Anti-Effeminacy Attitudes’, Journal of Homosexuality 42, no. 1 (2001).

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
As much as the term might seem to be inoffensive these days, I think it would have a strong impact on younger and potentially more sensitive people who may be frightened of 'coming out' for all the perceived homophobic language being bandied about. I think it's still too strongly associated with, well, gay people. The connection isn't really broken.
I find it quite unpleasant when it's said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)