What subjects are a good choice..?? (1 Viewer)

w8t4hope

HSC
Hey guys. First time posting so id like to say hi to all in the community :D

our school at the moment is getting us to select our subjects for next year now although it is quite early..
i am aiming for a high UAI of over 98.5 (my dream :)) - or its equivelant in ATAR - and hoping to get in to med school in UNSW.
I have read the forums for a bit and many respond to these kind of threads saying it is too early to make these kind of judgements now, but i am prepared for it and actually want to do medicine, unlike many others who only do it because of their parents or the money; and our subject choice forms are due in the coming days.

so my big question is, especially to those who achieved a high UAI, what subjects would you recommend (i think our school only allows max of 12 units)?
i love maths and science more than any other subject; and right now i am thinking of doing 3U maths, Ext1 English, Physics, Chemistry and 2U religion (i go to a Catholic school and religion is compulsory).
would these subjects scale high enough to achieve such a high UAI?
I have also heard that religion is a bad scaling subject, and that it may weigh me down. If it is true, would it be smart to move to a non-religious school?

Thanks for your time.
Regards, Daniel :D

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I have also heard that religion is a bad scaling subject, and that it may weigh me down. If it is true, would it be smart to move to a non-religious school?
Don't do that, it doesn't scale well but its not particularly challenging either- its not hard to get good marks in and as long as you do well, bad scaling won't matter.

allira92

HSC
your best doing subjects that you are good at and enjoy before you think about subjects that scale well, although its good to choose better scaling subjects, if your not good at or not enjoying them, its useless. you should also check out any prerequisites that u need for the course you want to if you havent already.
If your happy with your subjects tho, they are good scaling subjects, dont go to a non religious school tho, SOR2 isnt that hard to get good marks in

w8t4hope

HSC
i have researched a lot about medicine since this year and there are no prerequisites for medicine as far as i know although chemistry and another science is recommended - thats why i am doing the two sciences :D
i enjoy doing maths and science, and achieve good results in english although i dont love it.
religion tho i am not confident, but i believe i should do SOR2 as people tell me SOR1 is not much different but scales a lot lower.
is there a reason why i shouldn't go to a non-religious school tho? i can always try out for the selective school here (i live in newcastle).

keep the replies for the original post coming :D

K

khorne

Because generally, you have friends etc now, and making that move could complicate things etc. Religion won't scale you down, especially if you do 12Units for the HSC (where it won't even count if you don't do well!).

remember, scaling is a system designed to make all playing fields fair and balanced, so as long as you do well, it won't negatively impact you.

w8t4hope

HSC
my main worry is that wen i go to year 12, i want to giv 4unit maths a go and maybe even ext2 english.
if i do those subjects, that would mean i would have 13~14 units, which i believe is too much workload.
i may have to drop a subject and if i cant drop religion, i would have to drop one of the sciences, which is recommended in studying medicine.

Tumnus

HSC
my main worry is that wen i go to year 12, i want to giv 4unit maths a go and maybe even ext2 english.
if i do those subjects, that would mean i would have 13~14 units, which i believe is too much workload.
i may have to drop a subject and if i cant drop religion, i would have to drop one of the sciences, which is recommended in studying medicine.
Ext2 english is fun - yet a word of warning for ext1 - i was always told there where only exams (no "class assessments") which is not the case - took me by surprise. If you want to study medicine, chemistry would prob be more important than physics. That's the only reason i'm doing chem. :)

LobbSACS

HSC
do 12 units, and just dont work at all in SOR2. thus it wont count and you wont be affected by it.

oh and 4U maths >>>>>> EXT2 english by a country mile, if you can do well in 4U (like +95% in assesments, and very good ranks) then you will romp the HSC.

Last edited:

w8t4hope

HSC
so you're saying in year12, do ext2 english and 4u maths, and drop a science (preferbly physics as stated by Tumnus)?

Kamal15

HSC
mmm
most r 12 students do go through this subjects phase sometime during year 10 and imo the scaling idea just makes it even more confusing

i dont have all the HSC experience (4 months to go) but so far (chem last year and the rest this year) ive found that those subs i reeli want to do and luv, are the ones where you can work best and achieve the highest

the scaling system WILL NOT disadvantage you if you achieve well in any subject (assuming it is uncapped). Pik those subjects you love and I'm sure you can achieve the UAI you want and reach your goal:):)

brad616

HSC
hey guys. First time posting so id like to say hi to all in the community :d

our school at the moment is getting us to select our subjects for next year now although it is quite early..
I am aiming for a high uai of over 98.5 (my dream :)) - or its equivelant in atar - and hoping to get in to med school in unsw.
I have read the forums for a bit and many respond to these kind of threads saying it is too early to make these kind of judgements now, but i am prepared for it and actually want to do medicine, unlike many others who only do it because of their parents or the money; and our subject choice forms are due in the coming days.

So my big question is, especially to those who achieved a high uai, what subjects would you recommend (i think our school only allows max of 12 units)?
I love maths and science more than any other subject; and right now i am thinking of doing 3u maths, ext1 english, physics, chemistry and 2u religion (i go to a catholic school and religion is compulsory).
Would these subjects scale high enough to achieve such a high uai?

Thanks for your time.
Regards, daniel :d
go fro the subjects that you enjoy the most do not worry about scaling

allira92

HSC
i have researched a lot about medicine since this year and there are no prerequisites for medicine as far as i know although chemistry and another science is recommended - thats why i am doing the two sciences :D
i enjoy doing maths and science, and achieve good results in english although i dont love it.
religion tho i am not confident, but i believe i should do SOR2 as people tell me SOR1 is not much different but scales a lot lower.
is there a reason why i shouldn't go to a non-religious school tho? i can always try out for the selective school here (i live in newcastle).

keep the replies for the original post coming :D
personally, if i was in your situation, i would only do adv eng without ext and pick up a 1 unit course for ur prelim such as SLR or PVE or sumthing. this is just going off what you said about not loving english...

if you end up doin the hsc with 12 or 11 units, you can drop down to 1 unit SOR and although this doesnt scale as well, if your going good in your other subjects it will most likely not be counted for your UAI or A TER of whatevers going at that time...
just a thought

JoannaS2

HSC
mmm

the scaling system WILL NOT disadvantage you if you achieve well in any subject (assuming it is uncapped).
What do you mean, "uncapped".

If you want to do medicine, which subjects should you choose?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)