What's easier? Biology or Economics? (1 Viewer)

What's the easiest?

• Biology

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • Economics

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters

thatnormster

HSC
Yo! Here are the subjects that I've locked in for next year
• Math Adv + Ext 1
• English Adv + Ext 2
• Geography

And I'm tossing up between Biology and Economics. I hate studying Economics but I'm doing unbelievably well in it... I grasp the content well, it's just a chore to study for. I'm not doing too well in Biology but the content seems much easier (and it's all just ROTE learning and regurgitation...).

So what do I do? Do you guys have insight? I'm so stuck. For Economics I've had to study much much more to get the grades I wanted and in Biology the smartest kids in the grade are doing it next year...

Vall

HSC
I dont do bio or eco but my general advice would be just do both for a little bit (like up until the first assessment block) and then drop something.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Yo! Here are the subjects that I've locked in for next year
• Math Adv + Ext 1
• English Adv + Ext 2
• Geography

And I'm tossing up between Biology and Economics. I hate studying Economics but I'm doing unbelievably well in it... I grasp the content well, it's just a chore to study for. I'm not doing too well in Biology but the content seems much easier (and it's all just ROTE learning and regurgitation...).

So what do I do? Do you guys have insight? I'm so stuck. For Economics I've had to study much much more to get the grades I wanted and in Biology the smartest kids in the grade are doing it next year...
Same position a year ago but on the contrary I didn't "hate" economics moreso I didn't "mind" economics, like it was enjoyable for me but it would be something I cram or just study briefly.

Personally, subjects you're "good" at but you hate (for me this was business) will drag you down in the long run as it becomes a burden and a chore and all it takes is a slump or a streak of bad days to give up entirely on the subject leading to more problems down the line (as seen from some of my fellow friends).

I would say just get a feel for HSC economics, it is more "practical" driven in that you shift more from "theory" to practical applications which I found engaging. A thing about this I enjoyed is that in eco unlike english you can be nuanced in your argument and you're forced to move from theory and real world data to make connections e.g Explaining cost push inflation -> linking to 2022 events, so if you're keen on that you'll enjoy HSC eco way more than prelim (at least for me). If not, you'll hate it more since you can't get away with extensive theory you can cram from the book and a lack of application (however you can simply copy essay plans and rote learn lol so there's always that way out)

If you feel HSC eco is not your thing, you're better off spending that time on a subject you do not "mind" i.e bio and grind it rather than put the bare minimum for eco and risk burnouts + poor marks. That's what I did in your position and dropping business gave me way more time to adjust to HSC and improve my english significantly.

No surprises

HSC
Hey, I'm actually doing the same subjects with u except I'm not doing extensions..I would definitely say economics would help much more in year 12 geo than bio since everyone is going to learn things like megacity and globalisation, ecosystem is just common sense... right..?(idk I assume from what I learned in biophysical interactions and bio doesn't really help tho,eev will work better tgt)but I mean like if you feel like you can do well in bio then maybe drop eco,it is a heavy content subject and it requires you to hv a look of news everyday...

Zmem123

HSC
I agree that biology is easier because the topics aren't hard and are just content heavy. Economics has a lot more essays and has a very specific writing style. Depends on the person though. Just do what you enjoy, because it is possible to get burned out very fast.

thatnormster

HSC
Same position a year ago but on the contrary I didn't "hate" economics moreso I didn't "mind" economics, like it was enjoyable for me but it would be something I cram or just study briefly.

Personally, subjects you're "good" at but you hate (for me this was business) will drag you down in the long run as it becomes a burden and a chore and all it takes is a slump or a streak of bad days to give up entirely on the subject leading to more problems down the line (as seen from some of my fellow friends).

I would say just get a feel for HSC economics, it is more "practical" driven in that you shift more from "theory" to practical applications which I found engaging. A thing about this I enjoyed is that in eco unlike english you can be nuanced in your argument and you're forced to move from theory and real world data to make connections e.g Explaining cost push inflation -> linking to 2022 events, so if you're keen on that you'll enjoy HSC eco way more than prelim (at least for me). If not, you'll hate it more since you can't get away with extensive theory you can cram from the book and a lack of application (however you can simply copy essay plans and rote learn lol so there's always that way out)

If you feel HSC eco is not your thing, you're better off spending that time on a subject you do not "mind" i.e bio and grind it rather than put the bare minimum for eco and risk burnouts + poor marks. That's what I did in your position and dropping business gave me way more time to adjust to HSC and improve my english significantly.
fuck what a perfect response thank you. I'm completely certain now I'm going to do Biology. people have been urging me to do economics (including my teacher and my parents) because of how well I've been doing. but nah, that's not where my heart's at.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
fuck what a perfect response thank you. I'm completely certain now I'm going to do Biology. people have been urging me to do economics (including my teacher and my parents) because of how well I've been doing. but nah, that's not where my heart's at.
Good, if you do eco with no form of passion or interest you'll burn out very quickly since you'll be expected to be comfortable with copious memorisation and essay crafting. Don't ever do subjects on the sole basis of scaling, scaling should be considered as a tiebreaker between choosing to drop 1 subject out of 2 subjects you equally like/dislike.

thatnormster

HSC
Good, if you do eco with no form of passion or interest you'll burn out very quickly since you'll be expected to be comfortable with copious memorisation and essay crafting. Don't ever do subjects on the sole basis of scaling, scaling should be considered as a tiebreaker between choosing to drop 1 subject out of 2 subjects you equally like/dislike.
MWAH 😙 thanks for the validation internet stranger. one of the deciding factors for my internal tug of war was scaling as well.

thatnormster

HSC
funny looking at this a year after- thank you for convincing me out of economics. my economic-taker friends look like they're going through hell after every assessment task. as for biology, i got ranked 1st for one of the exams! trials went very well. overall, ranked well :D might be in the running for a band 6 in the HSC!

No surprises

HSC
Our class is literally practicing papers everyday for eco....to a point I see some questions and I just realised :OH I HAVE MET IT BEFORE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)