Who got offer for Adv Sience @ USyd? (1 Viewer)

tennille

HSC
I couldn't do bloody advance chem because I got below 96.40 for my UAI, yet I still managed to get a band 5 for my HSC exam. I am so pissed off about that. Now I'm only doing one advanced subject per semester this year (which is physics). Last year, you had to get above 93, but apparently they had to cut down the class numbers to 120. Still very annoying.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Tennille said:
I couldn't do bloody advance chem because I got below 96.40 for my UAI, yet I still managed to get a band 5 for my HSC exam. I am so pissed off about that. Now I'm only doing one advanced subject per semester this year (which is physics). Last year, you had to get above 93, but apparently they had to cut down the class numbers to 120. Still very annoying.
did you try to do adv chem? or did you just assume they wouldn't let you? Because I'm pretty sure they'd let you do adv chem (1st year) with that uai/marks

tennille

HSC
Bob.J said:
did you try to do adv chem? or did you just assume they wouldn't let you? Because I'm pretty sure they'd let you do adv chem (1st year) with that uai/marks
I asked them and they didn't let me.

tennille

HSC
I'm really freaking out about my course because on the HECS form, it asks what course I'm doing and it only states Bachelor of Science, whilst the front of my enrolment form states B Sc at the advance stream. I did apply for Bachelor of Science, but that was my 6th choice.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Tennille said:
I asked them and they didn't let me.
thats a bit unfair. i thought that that cut off just implied you had to be part of adv science which you are. thats a shame.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Tennille said:
I'm really freaking out about my course because on the HECS form, it asks what course I'm doing and it only states Bachelor of Science, whilst the front of my enrolment form states B Sc at the advance stream. I did apply for Bachelor of Science, but that was my 6th choice.
dont worry i think its normal. mine said that too

tennille

HSC
Oh ok, thanks. Does your student card state LH000 under your student number as well?

The guy I was asking about doing advance chem was so rude (not like abusive rude, but yeah). I just walked off. The guy next to me wanted to do advance biology but he couldn't also. Oh well. I'll try and transfer into it during 2nd semester.

tennille

HSC
lukebennett said:
thats a bit unfair. i thought that that cut off just implied you had to be part of adv science which you are. thats a shame.
That's what I thought, but they're trying to limit the number of people doing it.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Tennille said:
yeah so did I back in 1st year. Don't worry, you're in adv science. The code on your student ID will say LH0004 for an adv science student. It'll show when you graduate

tennille

HSC
Bob.J said:
yeah so did I back in 1st year. Don't worry, you're in adv science. The code on your student ID will say LH0004 for an adv science student. It'll show when you graduate
Mine only says LH000.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i didnt qualify for SSP but the chem dude thought i shud try and get in. he did seem like he could be a bit rude

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
My Program for the year:

Course code: HH01584 (with some modifications)

Semester 1:

AERO1560 Intro to Aerospace Engineering
ENGG1801 Engineering Computing
MATH1901 Differential Calculus (Advanced)
MATH1902 Linear Algebra (Advanced)
PHYS1901 Physics 1A (Advanced)

Second Semester:

AMME1060 Engineering Applications
ENGG1803 Professional Engineering
MATH1903 Integral Calculus and Modelling (Advanced)
MATH1905 Statistics (Advanced)
PHYS1902 Physics 1B (Advanced)

tennille

HSC
I just rang up the uni and it states its normal to have LH000 as your course code on your student card.

Semester 1:

MATH1001 Differential Calculus
MATH1002 Linear Algebra
CHEM1101 Chemistry 1A
PHYS1901 Physics 1A (advanced)
BIOL1001 Concepts in Biology

Semester 2:

MATH1005 Statistics
MATH1003 Integral Calculus and Modelling
CHEM1102 Chemistry 1B
PHYS1902 Physics 1B (advanced)
PHYS1500 Astronomy

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yeah it only shows the first three numbers. Mine only shows HH015, but the degree code (with physics being advanced) is actually HH015 84

tennille

HSC
So you're doing a combined degree of engineering and science at an advance level? I'm just checking it out on the uni website. HH015 is that combined degree, but not at an advance level. LH000 is just BSc. Well, we'll be doing physics together :)

dingding

Señor Member
HSC
Whats the difference between chem (adv) and chem (ssp)?

They have the same syllabus if i'm not mistaken.

Also, it says the chem (ssp) is 'by invitiation' - does anyone know when are the invitiations sent out?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
SSP invites have been done apparently. SSP is the same but you do extra and more interesting pracs

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lukebennett said:
SSP invites have been done apparently. SSP is the same but you do extra and more interesting pracs
not yet i think...
to apply to chem ssp (btw, also applies to maths ssp), u firstly need to enrol in chem adv... in the first wk of lectures, ur lecturer will inform u of this ssp thing... and tell u there's a meetin held some time in the first wk... durin the meetin, u will be intro'ed on wut u will be expecting in the ssp program and wut are the criteria (usually 99+uai, band 6 in the subject, and extra involvement in such subject if any... ie, olympiad is a really really good advantage... >< @ nit =p)... any way, then they will assess all the applicants and email the successful ones to invite them...

for chem ssp, u do different lab sessions than adv or normal stream... the labs are apparently harder and involve the usage of more sophisticated machineries such as mass spectrometers... hm i think u get to play with some dangerous volatile substances which, apparently makes guys infertile up on sniffin >=)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Tennille said:
So you're doing a combined degree of engineering and science at an advance level? I'm just checking it out on the uni website. HH015 is that combined degree, but not at an advance level. LH000 is just BSc. Well, we'll be doing physics together :)
Advanced doesn't have a different course code. At least not for the advanced maths, he just removed the physics units and added adv physics not sure of changing the course code.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)