why do so many asians do so good? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombies

HSC
Asian culture is very different to Australia's. My mum is Japanese, and my dad is Australian, and my mum is the one that is strict and my dad is the one that is very laid back and doesn't mind what I do.

I'm stereotyping here, but in asian families its all about high marks, coming top of the class for everything (although not PE or Art =P) and just school in general. And then white families, its a bit more laid back, like the parents let their children have a choice, and academics may be a factor but they also want their child to be doing well socially, mentally etc. I'm not saying that asian parents don't care about their children, not at all! But just in general.

I mean, if you go to Japan, school is very different. Children attend cram school after school each day, and they do a lot of studying at home as well. There is always the pressure to succeed, not just in school but also at work and later in life, and Japan's suicide rate is really high (top 10 in the world) which kinda shows how stressful it is I guess.

Last edited:

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
Trust me as a member of the Asian Society of Australia DUMB ASIANS do exist!

Guess what Miss Stereotyper? All races have equal amounts of SMART and DUMB people if they are the type of words that you prefer in terms of vocab. use but my main point is just because what you see and hear about Asian students such as the usual 'oh they're good at maths, study all day, no social skills ... etc' doesn't define everyone lol ...

Geez why do I even have to explain this? :mad2:

In truth that whole image of 'nerdom' surrounding Asians is more a burden than something to be proud of. Society's a bitch.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Whites have it better because the focus is on being well rounded and having a good mix in life, e.g. Having friends, learning and playing sport.

Thoses asians ( rice farmers) have it worse. They have a focus on education. Hence why all Asians are skinny people.

P.S this is the perspective of cultures and families.

Hence being Asian is bad and being white is better. Because in the end being a white male who is well rounded will guarantee you a better job than any Asian or female.

HSC
Uni Grad
Whites have it better because the focus is on being well rounded and having a good mix in life, e.g. Having friends, learning and playing sport.

Thoses asians ( rice farmers) have it worse. They have a focus on education. Hence why all Asians are skinny people.

P.S this is the perspective of cultures and families.

Hence being Asian is bad and being white is better. Because in the end being a white male who is well rounded will guarantee you a better job than any Asian or female.
you serious? :O

LOL and to tell you, I'm not skinny :p

I guess when many Asians get to university, they start developing their all roundedness, because it's the time when they wake up to realize that there is more in life than just the HSC. Not saying all of them do, but you know what I mean. (it's what I've seen by observation)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
"The Bell Curve" by Hernstein and Murray reinforces the topic of this thread. The book, through many decades of research, has arrived at the scientific conclusion that in America, ASIANS have the highest average IQ (Including middle east), followed by whites, followed by blacks. That's in the book. Scientific fact. Asian's are simply smarter ON AVERAGE, obviously not all of them.
Oh my god, enough about the bloody 'Bell Curve' and all this 'IQ' crap.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone can do good if you work for it, reading widely helps.

Asians may be more intuitive, but that is a gross assumption. Have to have the nature vs. nurture debate.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Anyone can do good if you work for it, reading widely helps.

Asians may be more intuitive, but that is a gross assumption. Have to have the nature vs. nurture debate.
*well

I think it's the 'work hard, get good marks, become doctor, get $$$' attitude that most Asian families adopt, that lead to that generalisation that Asians do better academically.

It's not that they are smarter, it's that they are raised in a more hard working culture.

Like the Jews. Many of them are successful not because they are Jewish, but because the Jewish culture entails the notion of 'hard work = big rewards'.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's the 'work hard, get good marks, become doctor, get $$$' attitude that most Asian families adopt, that lead to that generalisation that Asians do better academically.
Don't stereotype me.

Rus-Chick

HSC
why do so many asians do good when they are lazy as shit, and we have white kids* like me studying our butts off and can't do nearly as well. Is there some scientific evidence, or is it just another "deal with it" thing "you're dumb".
Have u even seen tutoring centers etc. Basically 99% of students are ASIAN and the rest 1% are those white people who gets 99+ ATAR.

nazfiz

HSC
why do so many asians do good when they are lazy as shit, and we have white kids* like me studying our butts off and can't do nearly as well. Is there some scientific evidence, or is it just another "deal with it" thing "you're dumb".
Well I'm adding an irrelevant fact here, but in higher education and research white people dominate. A majority of Nobel laureates are white and major inventions in the 20th century were developed by white people (e.g. the engine being invented by Rudolf Diesel)

I'm not generalizing but asians and curries are ace at rote learning (which is what the HSC is according to some), but the 'smart'white people are ace at innovating and understanding the mechanics of something.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
threats of death and/or deportation from the rents

zhiying

HSC
this tread is stupid -.-

it's a combination of upbringing, cultural factors but ultimately depends how much you want it, and whether you really care about your atar or not

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
because we are better than you

RANK 1

HSC
i hear people actually go around stealing maths books, calculators and shit at ruse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)