why do so many people hate hsc english? (1 Viewer)

Riot09

HSC
im in year 10 and like reading alot,but what ive read from this site,it seems that the hsc english course is really bad or just plain evil.

is it more about memory,creativity,interpretation or mix of the 3 to get top marks?

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
It's just a bullshit subject
You can justify anything by slotting in a technique and your 'analysis' of it

It's total bullshit

pman

Banned
HSC
there is a total lack of logic, the teachers are often crap, its compulsery

danal353

HSC
I think so many people dislike it due to a combination of reasons:

1) english is compulsary (and adv english is compulsary at some schools) so people who didn't like english in the first place have to do it.
2) it's pretty subjective so there can be discrepancies in the marking, people feel like they've been treated unfairly etc.
3) It is virtually impossible to argue your mark and gain extra marks
4) unlike ext english - there are so many modules and essays to balance

I'm glad it's over, adv english has caused me some pain in the past year - but i'll probably end up missing it...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
hsc english = hsc + english
but hsc = hate & english = hate

therefore, hsc english = hate + hate = 2 hate = to hate

hsc english exists to be hated

parawhoree

HSC
yes, but what can they do to make us enjoy the subject.

its bullshit coz the core texts make you want to punch yourself in the face especially if they're books/plays/poems that you once thought were incredibly amazing.

Billy Elliot is now shit due to HSC english. Thanks board of studies, you should pick less well known films that way us students dont know what to expect.

HailSatan

HSC
It causes you to subconsciously try to analyse the meaning and symbolisation of EVERY SINGLE FUCKING EVENT that occurs in a film.
"Oh he must have put that book down to symbolise how his education is letting him down..."
Annoying.

lychnobity

HSC
English is emptying me of emotion. Real emotions and feelings have been replaced by certain ways that I must think, to merely achieve in life. I’m analysing and speculating the emotions apparent in texts that I do not feel. It’s causing me to become this unnatural being with no opportunity for power to achieve determined results, but rather forces me to follow someone else in my natural desire to succeed.

It’s teaching me emotions, telling me how to feel, what is right to feel, why I feel it and what causes me to feel it. It defines aspects of life, which in essence, have no definition but rather interpretation. And even then do they make me study the many interpretations, forcing me to see things I do not naturally see for myself, that I do not want to see for myself and committing even a greater sin against the very purpose of the study.

When will they realise that it is only through the beauty of embrace, rather than scrutinity, that such values (they force us to study) can exist? The more time we take to overanalyse these natural occurrences of life, the deeper we dig their graves, the more life we lose.

This world imposes beliefs on us even in its attempts to support the discovery of our own. Its petty reasoning to ‘broaden our understanding’ restricts it only to finite thoughts that we must incorporate as our own.

And only with the abhorrent power of English have I been able to communicate this. And so now, because I have overanalysed the injustice that English holds towards life that this very perspective will go to waste just like everything else that has experienced the merciless scrutiny of English.

English, you sicken me.

Try not to take this too seriously. I was bored studying English :eek:

If you wish to bite my head off, please do so in a well structured, logical argument.
http://community.boredofstudies.org...lish-murderer.html?highlight=english+murderer

To a lesser extent, ^

I'm forced to narrowly consider any text I'm given, so any creative thought is controlled and pushed in a certain way.

I hate that I didn't have a choice - granted I probably would have chosen it anyway, it disgusts me that it's compulsory.

I hate the texts - can't they just give me a list and let me pick a few that I'd like, instead of making me study someone's drunken poetry, or someone's stupid political propaganda?

I hate that it relies on your ability to write in 40 minutes.

I hate that you're not taught to "appreciate" texts, but taught to "gain a broadened understanding" - wtf? Since when were any person's damned ideas allowed to be shoved down my throat? And even worse, force me to express this in a 1000 word essay?

Last edited:

gracee09

HSC
i dont think i'll be able to read another book or watch another movie without finding techniques and relating it to inner journeys or belonging....

stupid english grr:evilfire:

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Idk the teachers themselves piss me off, 'teaching' us from their god damn pedestals
My English teacher said some shit about how crap Universities are, and how the University lecturers are in a worse position than high school teachers.. Lolwut?

But yes, it is completely bullshit. Get some English pro/tutor to write you an essay and memorise you
Instant win

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh, the marks are a coin toss, work put in doesnt determine mark, it's completely random. The ridiculous over analysis of everything and the fact it is all philosophical and not actually working with fact or knowledge like other subjects.

HSC
Idk the teachers themselves piss me off, 'teaching' us from their god damn pedestals
My English teacher said some shit about how crap Universities are, and how the University lecturers are in a worse position than high school teachers.. Lolwut?

But yes, it is completely bullshit. Get some English pro/tutor to write you an essay and memorise you
Instant win
your 2000th post XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)