• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 12 2013 Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: The p00n thread

I know right.

Next meat, all the p00ner crew can verse me in lager tag.

Also, Aysce and RivalryOfTroll, I am not offended at all. Everyone has different circumstances, abilities, goals and sacrifices in HSC year. A 70 ATAR may be a massive triumph for someone who struggled with dyslexia and thought they'd drop at at 16 and they can get into their dream course of 68. I would actually cry at that score (that may sound bratty, but it's honest) purely because of all the hard work I put in also an expectation of my ability(in my case I would have totally wasted my natural intelligence and educational opportunity to get that score and sacrificed for no reward). Rivalry, I imagine being at Tech the selective school atmosphere puts massive emphasis on a high score, and you are in a opportune environment to get that score. Aysce, I'd expect you to get higher than 95 anyway. Pretty easygoing so um, it's harder to offend me than that :p
Well kinda but not rly.

tbh, it's more of self-pressure than anything for me... Like I get depressed easily over exams...

Aysce

HSC

Well kinda but not rly.

tbh, it's more of self-pressure than anything for me... Like I get depressed easily over exams...
+1

I used to have parental pressure but that's only due to laziness.

I know right.

Also, Aysce and RivalryOfTroll, I am not offended at all. Everyone has different circumstances, abilities, goals and sacrifices in HSC year. A 70 ATAR may be a massive triumph for someone who struggled with dyslexia and thought they'd drop at at 16 and they can get into their dream course of 68. I would actually cry at that score (that may sound bratty, but it's honest) purely because of all the hard work I put in also an expectation of my ability(in my case I would have totally wasted my natural intelligence and educational opportunity to get that score and sacrificed for no reward). Rivalry, I imagine being at Tech the selective school atmosphere puts massive emphasis on a high score, and you are in a opportune environment to get that score. Aysce, I'd expect you to get higher than 95 anyway. Pretty easygoing so um, it's harder to offend me than that :p
Just making sure.

And I agree with the bolded part. Basically an ATAR of 95-98 just doesn't cut it for medicine hence why my standards are so high.

deswa1

HSC

I know right.

This so much. That's why I'm so against this 'everyone can get 99 ATAR' thing that some people have etc.- I know heaps of people that have done their best and gotten 70's or 80's or 90's etc. and they are proud of themselves and so they should be. Its all about individual potential. This will make me sound like an amazing douchebag and I'm sorry in advance haha but say if I got a 99.00 ATAR, I'd personally be quite disappointed in myself because I know I have the potential to do better than that. If someone else has the potential to get 85 and gets 85, then at the end of the day, they've won and anyone who looks down on them for having a higher ATAR is a cock in my view.

Aysce

HSC

You definitely need inner motivation, it's not beating about others though-only a few people/situations in my life has it been a relevant motivation (and usually just the short term, the long term comes within).

Like the time my careers advisor told me I'd struggle to get 88 because I had a complacent attitude. Oh when this really stuck up witch women said I couldn't do something because I went to a comprehensive and my parents were merchant class (I know right, what is this the middle ages?).
Wow, I would actually just walk out mid sentence if that happened to me. I hate it when people judge how well you'll do based on your parent(s) occupation - know dat f33l all my lyf lol

deswa1

HSC

Wow, I would actually just walk out mid sentence if that happened to me. I hate it when people judge how well you'll do based on your parent(s) occupation - know dat f33l all my lyf lol
How about when people judge you because you're white? I've had everything from me doing gen maths, to expecting ATAR's in the 80's at the best etc. haha. Its actually hilarious- I love having those conversations sometimes

Aysce

HSC

You were saying earlier Aysce? :p

What was Deswa's 'choke' standard again? :haha:

Can you repeat it for me, you prophet.
99%%%%%%%%%

Too pro for dis wurld

I am white also, it's almost like reverse expectations. Many people here have assumed I'm asian for some reason, but then gone "Oh wait didn't see the English you did" :p Silly stereotypes.

And trust me Aysce this lady, she is definitely one of the few people in my life I'd consider a nemesis. But I outplayed here in the end, it was pretty funny that a 40 something year old lost a mental battle with a 16 year old. Haven't had to see her in a year now :D Definitely she was enforcing a private school snobby stereotype there.
Asian grandparents and parents are the worst (clearly generalising here). My grand parents are always like "OMG this family's son get 99.X, this family's daughter got 98.XX, what are you going to get?!". It actually really ticks me off/makes me sad.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Yeah, tbh I'd rather do no maths than General maffs.
If I wasn't aiming for a 95+ ATAR I would do General Maths anyway (if I couldn't do 2U, 3U or 4U), in my opinion it is always best to have at least some proper mathematical background even if it is as minor as General Math.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC

My parents apparently heard from family friends that "all good asian children do 4u" and they wanted me to do a 4u subject (mainly maths).

Then I went off and chose 4u english lawls ;D
Haha, I'm probably not going to do 4U mathematics for my hsc.... Screw that - do what you want. :)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Haha, I'm probably not going to do 4U mathematics for my hsc.... Screw that - do what you want. :)
Wait what, nah man you are awesome at maths you should be doing 4U. If you don't it would be a shame tbh (but of course do what you want)

starshine02

HSC

Yeah, UNSW too. But after seeing the outcome at the meeting thing (mostly, if not all Asian) I realised I stood no chance. No 4u maff or maths at all, no UNSW med :L Section 3 UMAT i be going 0_o

4u ftw!
What meeting thing? The open day? You only need english yeah?

Oh I don't think the maths there would be too hard! You'll probably do fine :)

Yay 4u~

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

My parents apparently heard from family friends that "all good asian children do 4u" and they wanted me to do a 4u subject (mainly maths).

Then I went off and chose 4u english lawls ;D
I don't think it's mainly 4U maths, I think it HAS TO BE 4U maffs.

Some asian parents think 4U english is like useless....

That means I'm a bad asian kid then XD
There's techies who only do 2U maffs so don't be so pessimistic :p Apparently, theres NSBers doing gen maffs this year according to one of my friends... so yeah....

3U eng is good enough. Any Extension sub is good.

And maybe you'll end up doing 4U eng.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

There's techies who only do 2U maffs so don't be so pessimistic :p Apparently, theres NSBers doing gen maffs this year according to one of my friends... so yeah....

Haha I was joking Rivalry XD But really, general maths?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Mainly because 4U english is piss easy, I only dedicate like 1 hour of my time per week to it, I didn't even know when the Viva Voce was, I sat the Viva Voce and did well.

And because 4U english is easy, asian parents won't theoretically like that because then they think it won't scale that well (it doesn't scale as much compared to 4U math). And that to get good you need to do the hard subjects etc etc.

But in regards to 4U math and 4U english

(sorry for school talk mods dont eat me)

starshine02

HSC

for med ppl say only thing u need( hsc subs) is chem
It's just recommended but not necessary isn't it?

My parents. They think it's inferior to 4u maths because the scaling isn't as great lol. But they've just accepted it now.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

I'm with you on all these points, but the bolded one you need to be careful with. Dreaming about a big goal is good, but dont get too emotionally attached to it - because it can end poorly.
^ So much this.

Even though, I don't have ONE DREAM career goal.

Like I basically have 2 or 3 most preferred options than a few back-ups just in case my ATAR doesn't end up too well...

Do it brah.

CONFORM WITH DA PRESSURE~~~

(nah do what you want but you have the talent for it, trust)

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC

You'll most likely do 4U maths, Demento! :)
Nah, I enjoy maths but I don't treat it as my favourite or best subject - it's more something that is straightforward and common sense to me.

Wait what, nah man you are awesome at maths you should be doing 4U. If you don't it would be a shame tbh (but of course do what you want)
My tutor doesn't really seem too keen on sending me out for 4U maths regardless of whatever I've done in the past - I pretty much follow whatever advice she gives me.

Siddy123

HSC

My tutor doesn't really seem too keen on sending me out for 4U maths regardless of whatever I've done in the past - I pretty much follow whatever advice she gives me.
y let da tutor dictate ur sub choices
if u got da work ethic, aptitude and commitment for it ( which you do)... go for it.

also: "sending me out" relax bro, it isnt a battle.
its just a subject :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)