• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 12 2013 Chit Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: The p00n thread

My parents. They think it's inferior to 4u maths because the scaling isn't as great lol. But they've just accepted it now.
Despite the fact that even 3U maths scales greater than 4U english, let alone 4U maths... I still think ANY EXTENSION course should be valued as being ''up there''.

My parents were like ''WTF?'' when I dropped 3U eng because I was doing really well in it..

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC

Nah, I enjoy maths but I don't treat it as my favourite or best subject - it's more something that is straightforward and common sense to me.

My tutor doesn't really seem too keen on sending me out for 4U maths regardless of whatever I've done in the past - I pretty much follow whatever advice she gives me.
If someone like me can do maths, u can 2. :)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

My tutor doesn't really seem too keen on sending me out for 4U maths regardless of whatever I've done in the past - I pretty much follow whatever advice she gives me.
Well, I still think that it is something you should really significantly consider 4U maths. I outlined some benefits here

I don't want to say that your tutor is giving you bad advice but....yeah

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

I know it's just a subject. I sometimes think over whether or not I should do 4U maths and at the moment, I think I don't have that much interest towards it.
At least you are doing what you want to do :)

starshine02

HSC

i meant in terms of chemistry content at school:p
but anyways ahaha try crazy johns flatchat, im on that :p
sahh cheap;)
1c texts :p

and imm ebayyin
Ohh ok lol.

Um my school does it in this kinda...funky order. The teachers pick syllabus points from different topics and teach it in an order that (kinda) makes sense. Like our option is Industrial so we learnt equilibrium from that topic and now were using the knowledge in Acidic Environment. We're almost finished Acidic atm. And then POM after that I think lol

Ok I'll check that ok :D Sounds really good.

Eg155

HSC

Mainly because 4U english is piss easy, I only dedicate like 1 hour of my time per week to it, I didn't even know when the Viva Voce was, I sat the Viva Voce and did well.

And because 4U english is easy, asian parents won't theoretically like that because then they think it won't scale that well (it doesn't scale as much compared to 4U math). And that to get good you need to do the hard subjects etc etc.

But in regards to 4U math and 4U english

(sorry for school talk mods dont eat me)
What marks are you pulling if it's so 'easy'?

Someone only has the right to say something's easy if they are like consistent on a 48 ish.

Just like people who say 'oh I do modern because it's easy as'
nekk minnute gets 6/15. Yeah kk.

In response to the other posts scaling is not quite so pertinent in a strong cohort.
I've used this example millions of times:
person got 99.90 with my subject combo - modern hist.

Eg155

HSC

btw, should I bother studying to an SOR exam when I'm going to drop it tomorrow?

I'm scared I'll be eaten.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

What marks are you pulling if it's so 'easy'?

Someone only has the right to say something's easy if they are like consistent on a 48 ish.

Just like people who say 'oh I do modern because it's easy as'
nekk minnute gets 6/15. Yeah kk.

In response to the other posts scaling is not quite so pertinent in a strong cohort.
I've used this example millions of times:
person got 99.90 with my subject combo - modern hist.
Yeah it was unjustified of me to call it that easy, but really it does not require much effort, you have the whole year to do the essay/story/whatever with feedback from a teacher. There are barely any tasks and there is no content. I should of probably made clear that when I meant easy I did not mean 'get 100% easy' but rather its a course which is easy to take.

I never denied that a person with your subjects cannot get a 99+ ATAR. There are people more gifted in terms of interpretations and humanities and will excel in them. And I completely agree with you on the people who say that its really easy then fail.

Siddy123

HSC

Yeah it was unjustified of me to call it that easy, but really it does not require much effort, you have the whole year to do the essay/story/whatever with feedback from a teacher. There are barely any tasks and there is no content. I should of probably made clear that when I meant easy I did not mean 'get 100% easy' but rather its a course which is easy to take.

I never denied that a person with your subjects cannot get a 99+ ATAR. There are people more gifted in terms of interpretations and humanities and will excel in them. And I completely agree with you on the people who say that its really easy then fail.
umm?
from what i hear it requires INSANE commitment and dedication.
these 2 defs outweigh the "easiness" of the course.

Eg155

HSC

Oh okay, sorry, wrongly aimed criticism.

The latter part of my comment wasn't aimed at you.. someone posted about doing high scalers to get a 99+, cbb checking who.

On that note, I too am a culprit of the scaling game. I told a teacher I wanted to drop their sub because of scaling. It came out under pressure, couldn't think of an excuse.
She no longer likes me hahahha

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

umm?
Not from what I've experienced, I have a great plan on what my major work already is, I have most of my research done, I just need to over the holidays prepare the skeleton of the essay, and then the rest of the year, edit and add new things.

It's called being efficient.

Eg155

HSC

umm?
I think if you memorise the poems or whatever *(we're doing romanticism) it's quite okay to contrive a damn good essay. But, it is a lot of committment to staying in tuned with the text's themes and idea.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC

Well, I still think that it is something you should really significantly consider 4U maths. I outlined some benefits here

I don't want to say that your tutor is giving you bad advice but....yeah
Appreciate the benefits you provided but as of now, I myself don't have that much interest in 4U maths in my hsc. Also, I actually have almost no critical thinking ability. I only try to familiarise myself with a whole heap of weird questions (such as olympiad) and trust me - if you chuck me a question that doesn't look remotely similar to one i've seen before, i'm screwed.

Also, welcome back Siddy. :)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

well i guess i'll take ur word for it, seeing as you do the course.
what u thinkin of doin?
Mainly based on morality of the world how it has changed and mainly WHY is has changed.

Whether the world is truly black and white or do interpretations exist or are they just illusions to a boolean world.

etc etc

Eg155

HSC

nah i mean ext2
depends on the passion i guess.

I mean I'm doing a 20 min speech. Having the time of my life writing it. Best. Medium. Out.

So if you love critical anyalysis then ext 2 wouldn't be difficult in anyway, just as a 4u maths would find joy in doing maths.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Appreciate the benefits you provided but as of now, I myself don't have that much interest in 4U maths in my hsc. Also, I actually have almost no critical thinking ability. I only try to familiarise myself with a whole heap of weird questions (such as olympiad) and trust me - if you chuck me a question that doesn't look remotely similar to one i've seen before, i'm screwed.

Also, welcome back Siddy. :)
If that's the case, I'm exactly like what you described in terms of:
- No interest really
- Only can do familiar questions
- No critical thinking ability for the subject really

And yeah, I'm doing 4U.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC

If that's the case, I'm exactly like what you described in terms of:
- No interest really
- Only can do familiar questions
- No critical thinking ability for the subject really

And yeah, I'm doing 4U.
Haha, I get your point but I wouldn't waste my time on the subject if I know I had minimal interest in it.

So um guys, to break the school talk...

Are you more pro at;
A) DDR (Dance Dance Revolution)
B) Laser Tag
C) COD
D) Rock climbing
Would love to play DDR more but i'm an absolute wreck at it. E) None of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)