And so I turned on my new PC... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay after doing all this (and disconnected audio and USB cables, as well as SSD) a message appeared and said. "Loading OS, failure to load OS, please insert a HDD/SSD" So maybe it could be a SSD or HDD error?
so it got past the BIOS screen and the line problem is gone??

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
LOL you're fucking fine, get a goddamn OS, seems like one of those components you dc'ed were at fault
yes, after testing the HDD and SSD separately, I can say those lines appear on the BIOS when the SSD is plugged in. Dam My friend even warned me about SSDs, that they're still in their infancy and all, and are not proven reliable technology yet and that's why it's expensive (less supply and demand). But yeah it has 3 years warranty. So I'll be getting a replacement. Thank God it was just the ssd.

so it got past the BIOS screen and the line problem is gone??
Lol I think the BIOS screen is so quick I never see it with the HDD. It goes straight to the message "Please install an OS" eh looks like I'll have to get out good old XP professional, then go for the Windows 7 Home premium upgrade. -.-

Last edited:

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
Yeh you'll be fine, SSD's are reliable but there are always going to be a few faulty ones as with any computer component. I still wish i could've gotten one but it was out of my budget :(
Will get SSD early next year, rest of my components should be arriving tomorrow and i can get started on my build.

HSC
Uni Grad
oh that's lucky then, hopefully the replacement will function fine

HSC
Uni Grad
my ssd is the greatest thing in the world

i can't imagine going back to mechanical storage

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
my ssd is the greatest thing in the world

i can't imagine going back to mechanical storage
SSD's are small atm. unless you're a rich %%%$ and can afford two 256GB SSDs.

atm windows 7 is installing..will it accept the new installation? It is an upgrade edition. My bet is that it's going to ask for the Licence key and kick up a stink because there was no previous version of windows installed. (testing this out today, because I'll have to reinstall it for my SSD once it comes in). - basically can I use the same licence key to reinstall the same OS on my SSD when it comes? I've heard that once u activate a licence key it becomes tied with that specific motherboard at the point of installation.

EDIT: I found this "If you try to install it twice, Windows activation can tell (so long the computers have a connection to the Internet) and will call foul." On a site, so I take it yes, providing you don't change your mobo. Source: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/remove-windows-activation-install-computer/

Lol in the gaming computer thread, that crucial was the more reliable one. -.-

Last edited:

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
A 120 gig SSD should suffice for OS + all your most used apps + games easily. Chuck everything else on a mechanical hard drive like a cheap caviar blue or something. Look up how to clone an image of the OS so you can transfer it to your replacement SSD when it arrives.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
So i turned on my computer....

it worked.

Weezle

HSC
Uni Grad
A 120 gig SSD should suffice for OS + all your most used apps + games easily. Chuck everything else on a mechanical hard drive like a cheap caviar blue or something. Look up how to clone an image of the OS so you can transfer it to your replacement SSD when it arrives.
Games? are you crazy? They go on another drive lol..

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh SSD's are far too small for me to be interested atm, if I had a ton of money one for OS would be awesome but I'm happy to wait to they get to a reasonable size.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Games? are you crazy? They go on another drive lol..
Crysis is a HDD intensive game. Thats why it was once used as a Benchmark, because all aspects of a computer were put under strain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)