Are checkouts that bad? (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i dont mind the checkouts, it's the customers i dont like :p (except for a few who are my "regulars", does anybody else have regulars, to the point where they know ur name and u know THEIRS.?)

Collin

HSC
N/A
I hate getting stiffies when servicing really attractive female customers.

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
wow my threads still going! Woo

Well i just got an sms and email inviting me to a group interview at Target. Im not so sure i want to go to it cos im not sure if its worth the extra travelling time, will take about 30 mins to get there from my house.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Benovista said:
wow my threads still going! Woo

Well i just got an sms and email inviting me to a group interview at Target. Im not so sure i want to go to it cos im not sure if its worth the extra travelling time, will take about 30 mins to get there from my house.
It takes me 1 hour to get to work, don't just waste an opportunity to pass it because of little things. You should be more concerned about whether or not you want to work for Target and the position you've been offered. If it's something you love, then go for it and don't worry about travel times or whatever. A job isn't easy to come by.

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
Yeah i think its more the possibility of me becomming trapped and depressed in another coles myer job. I left kmart last october because I was REALLY unhappy but ive been really unhappy without money so I think im gunna go for it.

My only problem is they want 2 work related referees and I only have 1 :( I only worked with a few ppl being nite fill.

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
LOL i completely skipped this...

Please note – Although this interview is held in Erina, applicants attending this interview will be considered for all Coles Myer Brands on the Central Coast
Im definately going now!!

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
rumour said:
It is so easy!!!!!
Yes, it's easy but if you wanna drive yourself to insanity due to your brain working overtime trying to stimulate itself...then go right ahead.

I've finally had myself a mental breakdown due to working on checkouts.

You don't understand that when you've been on the checkouts for longer than 2 hours, you begin to fall into this kind of semi-conscious state where even the slightest things like serving a customer will make you want to burst into tears, scream "I f*cking give up! I quit!" and run as far as you can away from the building. It's kind of like a bird being stuck in a small cage, desperately wanting to be fly free (so I can kind of relate to the sparrow currently trapped in our store)

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
that reminds me of rotation:

Does anyone actually get rotated at all?? I mean, the right protocol in our store is for e.g on a 8-10hr shift, we have to swap sides - so half the shift with your right arm to the conveyor belt, then the other half of the shift with your left arm etc...plus as a full day shift, you should be given some odd jobs like stock return, or basket run etc......and this is what annoys me, we never ever do that! It's seriously 'favourites' so when I have a huge shift, I expect either one of my arms to be screwed that night from repetitiveness and not being side swapped, and I always expect that if someone has a three hour shift, they do odd jobs, and if I have a three hour shift, I sit like a gravestone in my checkout.

In the beginning we used to to that, and I'd end up having a great day b/c my mind wasn't bored....but I don't understand what's happened, b/c now everyone wants to leave (and has) and there's this huge wave of ppl who are sick and tired of checkouts.....not like before.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
at any job they need to rotate. when they get staff doing the same thing all the time they get tired. if they want to keep their staff they should begin to realise how important it is to roate them around a bit.

is it difficult for stores to rotate their workers around checkouts, recovery, fill, floor? or are there people who prefer to just stay at at the one place?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i try and do as much loose stock and basket collection as humanly possible. i hate the fucking checkout.

at my store all the service people want to move to dairy produce etc and all the produce etc people want to move to serve. grass is always greener.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Oh my god, this dumb bitch today... there were many of them but this one sticks out. When I was on express and there was a queue of like 6-7 people seeing as there were only 2 registers open, she goes "oh, I forgot something... can you put my order on hold?" and I go "no, sorry, I can't. why don't you pay for this now and I'll mind it for you and you can come through with whatever you forgot separately". apparently that would be pointless and the world would end because she hadn't spent $30 and thus wouldn't get her 4cents off petrol. so I then have to wait for a supervisor to come over and refund the whole order, which seeing as there's one supervisor also trying to serve the 10 people trying to by cigarettes means everyone gets held up.

of course she comes through and the whole order with the thing she forgot included isn't $30 anyway. i kind of had to laugh at her but at the same time i was like wtf was the point of that

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I think there are some ppl who don't wanna change and that's fine - there are about three older staff who are more than happy to just do checkouts and nothing else and are shocked when I say I feel like a bird in a guilded cage.

I don't mean to rotate departments - In the long run it'd be great b/c the business would be stronger as everyone knows how to run the entire store, not just one section, what I mean is just the department you're in - why should one person do 3hrs of returning stock while another person is stuck on a checkout for 8hrs? wouldn't the person with only a short 3hr shift be better to do checkouts, and the longer shifted ppl do at least 2 rotations?

Like I said - everytime I do a 8-10hr shift, I expect one half of my body to be f*cked because I don't get moved etc....(and it doesn't help when my hips are about 20cm taller than the bench that the reciept roll sits on - so you can imagine how much bending over I do to put crap in the bags!!!)

I dunno - when I started out, we used to always rotate and I'd end up having a good shift. But I'd say the supervisors who were on the ball and did that have left...COME BACK!!! lol - what bugs me the most is our shift manager(.?) has a bad back from working on checkouts and not being rotated over the 15yrs she's worked there, and yet she doesn't think to rotate us......ahhh the intelligence of store management....

BTW - next week I get to do half nightfill and half (ergh) checkouts!!! -> even though I really wanted to do just nightfill!!! oh well...I'll give it three weeks and subtly change over completly....everyone else does it, why not me?

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
glycerine said:
Oh my god, this dumb bitch today... there were many of them but this one sticks out. When I was on express and there was a queue of like 6-7 people seeing as there were only 2 registers open, she goes "oh, I forgot something... can you put my order on hold?" and I go "no, sorry, I can't. why don't you pay for this now and I'll mind it for you and you can come through with whatever you forgot separately". apparently that would be pointless and the world would end because she hadn't spent $30 and thus wouldn't get her 4cents off petrol. so I then have to wait for a supervisor to come over and refund the whole order, which seeing as there's one supervisor also trying to serve the 10 people trying to by cigarettes means everyone gets held up.

I just wanna slap people who are like that. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)