Are there English Advanced students who do not enjoy English? (1 Viewer)

q3thefish

HSC
it's startin to grow on me, iuno. gettin easier and easier i guess. arrgh stupid worthless speech comin up soon T_T

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
yes. English is the most boring piece of crap ever. Ext english is better, mostly because it's a bludge and we do one topic a year. But oh how I hate advanced. The texts are the worst. We could do so many interesting things, learn about society. As if perfecting essays is important in the scheme of things.

dancing_mermaid

HSC
well, i used to love english. it was my favourite subject, because it was so satisfying and just made me happy for some inexplicible reason, but i skipped year 10 english (so did lots of my friends) and we all find that advanced is nowhere near as fun as english used to be. and we don't get that nice self-esteem boost from the subject that we used to, which sucks.

HSC
well, i must have been completely out of my mind when i chose it cause i absolutely hate the subject with a passion. not recommended for people that do modern history and music - very bad combo. overall, english is a shit subject cause we dont really need it - only for writing essay's properly. seriously, why does english have to be compulsory -IT SUCKS (as i have already established).
DEATH TO ENGLISH
Sorry to say, but you kinda do need English.

Studying the language itself helps your mind to process the links within language. This, in turn, influences the calibre of your writing and speech.

I do think that the course is far too content based, however. It would have a marked improvement if they explicitly taught people how to write essays in year 11, with reference to actual essayists, rather than cramming in three modules.

As an aside, studying literature and writing in university is nothing like the HSC. It is actually rather splendid in comparison.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
omg i fucking hate english adv so much
its crap
im ranked 77/134
and i got my report yesterday
dad went apeshit.

TBK11

HSC
if so many people hate english that badley why choose advance in the first place :p

rigellian

HSC
Some people don't have a choice. My school only offers Advanced English.

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
English is such a boring subject. I'm doing alright in it though. 12/84 ;)

suzlee

HSC
I'm wondering something,

What is the principle difference between standard and advanced in terms of course content?

HSC
i absolutely hate english. only because of the amount of essays we do though. i have a crazy teacher who LOVES giving us 1 page essays every week to "practice". as if we dont have enough to do already.

every assesment task we have to prepare and write up beforehand then memorise and write it. becomes a memory test more than anything.

but other than that.. it could be interesting with the discussions and ideas from different texts.

autumn-angel

HSC
I hate english but I'm good at it. I'm doing standard atm but dunno if i should move to Advanced because it scales better... standard english makes me feel dumb... everyone looks down on me if I tell them I do standard... and I look down on myself because of that too... its really bothering me... I was in Advanced English for a term, then had to drop because of my poor exam result, but I knew I just had a bad day... and I wasnt really able to convince my teacher that I should stay in Advanced because I was feeling crappy. I just wish I was able to prove myself somehow, I know I'm good... staying in standard isnt giving me any motivation at all... Is it possible to move back to Advanced English at the beginning of year 12 or by the end of year 11?

tehrobzorz

HSC
no one really likes english at my school ... I think its because its a rather subjective subject, links to poor marks, and just makes us struggle to truly understand what in the world the point of something is...

HSC
I hate english but I'm good at it. I'm doing standard atm but dunno if i should move to Advanced because it scales better... standard english makes me feel dumb... everyone looks down on me if I tell them I do standard... and I look down on myself because of that too... its really bothering me... I was in Advanced English for a term, then had to drop because of my poor exam result, but I knew I just had a bad day... and I wasnt really able to convince my teacher that I should stay in Advanced because I was feeling crappy. I just wish I was able to prove myself somehow, I know I'm good... staying in standard isnt giving me any motivation at all... Is it possible to move back to Advanced English at the beginning of year 12 or by the end of year 11?
I hate to break it to you but, no. You're going to have to stay in standard english.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I like adv. English. It's pretty fun, well my teacher makes it good usually... but I must say there are days where I could skip English without a second thought. Actually, I've done it and will gladly do it again :p

cherii2007

HSC
I have a great teacher for Advanced english, but I still really dislike the subject. I'm doing pretty well in English (or equally, not as bad as others) and I would drop down to Standard if I had other subjects to scale me up...so I'll be doing Advanced in Year 12. Unless I bomb out during the yearlies and I'm forced to drop. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
i hate english advanced with a strong passion, even more than science and maths combined.

the main reason:
- my yr 11 teacher left at end of last year and she chose the worst texts:
* module a - king richard iii & looking for richard - it is fucken hard to draw connections between the two -->connections? what connections?
* module c - i think we are one of the few schools that will be doing the "woman warrior", which has very few notes and is probably the worst book i've ever read

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)