Got a question about cars? (1 Viewer)

HSC
nah nah
im talking about DC downshifting...but i guess heel-toeing would probably come into play if youd want to slow down pretty quickly.
mm..i probably should be more specific.

ok..
in the single clutch downshifting...when im blipping the gas while my clutch is down, what (if any) am i actually giving gas to..?

same question for double-clutch DS

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
:/

you guys are too slow, just have qwuicker feet

(note: braad cant heel-toe as the accelerator and brake are too far apart)

SlipStream

HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
nah nah
im talking about DC downshifting...but i guess heel-toeing would probably come into play if youd want to slow down pretty quickly.
mm..i probably should be more specific.

ok..
in the single clutch downshifting...when im blipping the gas while my clutch is down, what (if any) am i actually giving gas to..?

same question for double-clutch DS
Oh ok, well double-clutch downchanging is pretty hard if you're using it in a performance context - you need to incorporate a double clutch movement into a heel-toe downchange. Not easy, and not worth the bother unless you've got worn syncros (you have worn syncros if your gears crunch when trying to engage them when the clutch is in). Double-clutch downchanges are really only useful when you're having troubles engaging the lower gear. Just stick to heel-toeing for downchanges. You're aware that you can heel-toe at any speed? On the track, we use heel-toeing to match engine speed with rolling speed so that we don't get compression lock (where the wheels will lock momentarily as the revs climb aggressively to match rolling speed) and put ourselves at risk of spinning. However on the road, heel-toing makes your driving HEAPS smoother and also places far less stress on the drivetrain and clutch.

Single clutch downshifting, as you put it, is just heel-toeing. Your changing down gears as normal but you're blipping the A-pedal to match engine speed (revs) with rolling speed. Heel-toeing requires patience when you're teaching yourself, and takes months of practice to get it right. There's three things to heel-toeing: the physical "heel-toe" motion, getting the amount of throttle-blip spot on, and timing. First, you need to master the basic heel-toe motion - get used to braking with your big toe area rather than the whole upper side of your foot. Then you need to be able to pivot your heel around to the A-pedal [EDIT: well it's actually the right edge of your foot, not really your heel] (don't worry about blipping with your right toes because on most - of not all - road cars the B and A-pedals aren't close enough; just stick to the mid-right side of your foot). You need to be able to keep B-pedal pressure constant with your toe so you don't roughen up the movement, and at the same time being able to punch the A-pedal perfectly with your heel so that you get just the right amount of revs. Once you're proficient at this, you need to now learn the hardest parts: matching revs PERFECTLY and timing the motion (i.e. clutch, and A-pedal blip). If you over rev on a heel-toe, the car will jerk forward uncomfortably. So you should aim to under-rev just a tiny little bit. It takes ages to get that bit spot-on. Then there's the timing - I always see people blipping the A-pedal too early so that the revs drop back down before the clutch is re-engaged. So you need to time your motion so that you release the clutch just as you're A-pedal blip is at where it should be. I hear a lot of people say they can heel-toe, but most of the time they don't actually know what it is or they've got their revs and timing all screwed up.

Last edited:

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
ToO LaZy ^* said:
1. clutch wear
2. smaller engines cant idle using just the clutch, itll stall and/or rollback, which wouldnt be too good if there people behind
I do it in the excel and it does it just fine, thats got a small engine. And if you only do it once in a while its not too much wear on the clutch.

deon_c

holding the car on friction poitn on a hill is stupid...handbrake is the easiest and least damaging method used however i can be bothered using either, when you drive for a while you get used to you car and startign just kidna becomes automatic lol anyway the heel toe'ing is very useful for track racing and "spirited driving" because if your commign into a corner at a decent speed if you downshift without double clutchign you will get a violent jerk which puts hte car off balance and can result in you ending up with wheel spin etc heel toeing alows you to take corners qucker and smoother and also results in less clutch wear...ive been usign it since i was on my l's lol

SlipStream

HSC
deon_c said:
holding the car on friction poitn on a hill is stupid...handbrake is the easiest and least damaging method used however i can be bothered using either, when you drive for a while you get used to you car and startign just kidna becomes automatic lol anyway the heel toe'ing is very useful for track racing and "spirited driving" because if your commign into a corner at a decent speed if you downshift without double clutchign you will get a violent jerk which puts hte car off balance and can result in you ending up with wheel spin etc heel toeing alows you to take corners qucker and smoother and also results in less clutch wear...ive been usign it since i was on my l's lol
Do you have any idea what you're actually talking about?

deon_c

yeah i do, sorry slipstream i didnt read your post correctly, i was merely tryign to re-iterate what you said. and yes i do know what im talking about, i just really didnt articulate what i was trying to say properly

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
dont try and use big words and it'll go down better

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
if you want to get your point across, try using words a person with basic skills could interpret :/

thats all. Because when others come and ask questions, they look back and prefer posts that are easily read...they dont want to sit and remember meanings whilst trying to get a grasp of the actual subject/theory :)

Zozo6969

HSC
Does using a handbrake in an automatic car damage it? For example, I know this lady who used to drive a manual, but she got an auto because she was getting crap with a manual (starting off in second, forgetting to change gears etc.). Her new car is the 1.3L Jazz CVT, so its only got like 65 kilowatts or whatever. On hills, she has the footbrake on, then when she wants to move, she puts the handbrake up, takes her foot off the brake, and puts it on the accelerator whilst simultaneously releasing the handbrake. Does it do damage to it, cuz like the front wheels want to move but the rear wheels don't. Also, someone I know left the car in drive with the handbrake up and got out of the car to open a gate, is that bad also?

deon_c

im quite sure no damage is done, handbrakes are relatively weak and dont really hold the car back that much so there wouldnt be much strain on the engine/gearbox. As for leaving the handbrake on when the car is in drive that is just liek holding the brake at traffic lights BUT its stupid because if for some reason the brake stops holding the car wil start to move and damage will be done

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
sif use the handbrake for hillstarts. do the shelly method.

1. your sitting stationary on a hill. your feet are on the clutch and brake.
2. when it is time to move off, i.e the lights go green or whatever, slam your foot on the accelerator all the way to the floor, get of the clutch and listen to your wheels screech
3. you'll know you'll have done it right if you smell a funky burning smell.

p.s this is in actual fact, how i do hillstarts in the manual

SlipStream

HSC
deon_c said:
yeah i do, sorry slipstream i didnt read your post correctly, i was merely tryign to re-iterate what you said. and yes i do know what im talking about, i just really didnt articulate what i was trying to say properly
Ok, that's cool. The way your reply was worded made it sound like you were repeating something you saw in 2Fast2Furious. Go into the introductions thread [click here] and introduce yourself.

Zozo6969 said:
Does using a handbrake in an automatic car damage it?
Nah, the torque converter slips just as if you were stopped at the lights and put it into neutral. Under the same circumstances a manual wouldn't like it too much though.

Shelly: that is very suave. :p

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
As far as DC goes dylan is correct it isn't really necessary in regular driving however it is useful if syncros are worn, to change into first whilst in motion, to smooth out a high speed change.

SlipStream

HSC
loquasagacious said:
As far as DC goes dylan is correct it isn't really necessary in regular driving however it is useful if syncros are worn, to change into first whilst in motion, to smooth out a high speed change.
Oh I'm always correct mate. :p

People, some of these skills are really hard to learn and that's why the vast majority of road users don't have them. I can say all this cos in the not-so-far away future I'll be able to call myself a professional racing driver [/GLOAT] :p. So if you're going to try, do it somewhere where you'll put your car into bushes rather than into someone's livingroom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)