Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince (1 Viewer)

laniani

HSC
mmmmm....
daniel's jaw line is great
and he gets arm muscles
and he's got an accent
and he's magic
love...

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
this wednesday~~
got a crap seat though (towards the front on the left side) :(
meh.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I went to a Silverscreen viewing, which was great as a) it was limited to 40 people max, b) there was no screaming school kids, and c) it had its own candy bar which was great as the queues were 20 deep in the main one.

Words do not do justice for this film. From the opening London scene, it is clear this film was going to be the best adaption of the book. The CGI is superb - Qudditch looks more realistic than ever. Literatively, this film is unfailingly close to the original. Editing is tighter than the previous two films, which I thought were about 20 mins too long (and they were shorter). This 153 min epic feels too short, like all great films.

Gripes - very few. Romance scenes were perhaps a bit overplayed, but they did inject some humour into the darkest film thus far. Character development, save for Malfoy (and Tom Riddle - who is terrifically played - he is scary even as a child) was limited. And there wasn't a real discussion of the horcrux, which non-Potter fans may not understand. But that is really nitpicking.

Stars - Alan Rickman as Snape again is the pick of the actors, with a bit more screen time, understandable given his role in the ending. And Emma Watson looks hotter than ever.

Overall, take nothing away from Yates, this is a triumph. 98% on Rotten Tomatoes equalled great expectations, and they exceeded them. Can't wait for the final two installments.

HSC
b) there was no screaming school kids, and c) it had its own candy bar which was great as the queues were 20 deep in the main one.
i had a screaming child in my theatre. fuck, if your child starts screaming leave the fucking theatre don't just sit there you bogan filth.

unfailingly close to the original
they missed out on bill and fleur's engagement, as well as the battle in which bill is disfigured by greyback... i mean it was alright, but 'unfailingly close' is a gross exaggeration.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
That was a minor denouement. If they put everything in the book the movie would last 10 hours. There is close, and there is asking too much. The horcrux was the only major plot point missing imo, though I haven't read the book for a few years.

HSC
That was a minor denouement. If they put everything in the book the movie would last 10 hours. There is close, and there is asking too much. The horcrux was the only major plot point missing imo, though I haven't read the book for a few years.
cutting scenes wouldn't bother me if they didn't have a tendency to throw in scenes that never happened in the book i.e. the burrow scene, i have no recollection of a chase with bellatrix and fenrir. why couldn't they have left that part out and done the battle scene that actually happened in the book? it would have been just as good, if not better. the death eaters did the impossible by breaking into hogwarts, to have them leave almost immediately was wasted potential. it just annoys me that they would cut that short and instead waste screentime on ron's 'relationship' with lavendar.

i'm not saying that i hated it or anything. the cinematography was excellent, the acting was good (emma and dan have improved considerably, and rupert did a hilarious job), but i do have gripes about the ommission of certain scenes... i.e. important information about tom riddle that becomes extremely relevant to the search for the horcruxes. that's all i was saying.

Last edited:

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Though it did keep a lot of the book, the way in which it was strung together seemed a little lazy. As someone said, barely a word is uttered between when the concept of "Horcrux" is introduced and when they're going off to get one. Someone who hasn't read the book would be completely lost, and someone who has, such as myself, might still get somewhat annoyed.

They probably should have taken out that chase with bellatrix and fenrir and replaced it with the battle scene at the end, which seemed to be lacking any, well... battle. I always imagined that scene as a huge climax with heaps of spells flying about, and fenrir ripping the shit out of Bill. That was the scene I was waiting for throughout the entire film, and they kind of replaced with a five minute flick, where Dumbeldore dies and Harry whines.

Romance overdone, though it was sometimes relieved with light humor. I don't know if I'd call the movie "dark". A lot more could have been done to achieve this title.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Watched it today. It was a pretty good movie. My favourite evil do-er is Bellatrix. She is so awesome. Is it me or does Tom Felton look really old?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Draco looks very mature and hot as always... i will watch the movie he stared in ASAP ^^

Stephie-Rae

HSC
Yeah i have to say i was disappointed. I did enjoy it, i just feel they didn't use the time they had effectively. The focus on Ron's bloody love triangle shit me to tears, there is no where near that much on that in the book, it became a major plot point and it shouldn't have. Then there was Harry's developing relationship with Ginny, which was not illustrated anything like it was in the book. The amount of focus on the teen romance drove me insane, in my opinion it just feels like a blatant attempt to compete with Twilight.

I think the thing that made the amount of romance so frustrating is that it was included in place of the important memories and gathering of information about Voldemort and the Horcrux's etc, which really is what it should have focussed on, Voldemort taking over the world is in my opinion slightly more important than just how obsessed bloody Lavender is. And like somebody already mentioned, the burrow scene was pointless and didn't even happen, i do not understand what would possess them to just add that rather than include the dramatic fight scene that really does happen at the end of the book at Hogwarts, i was looking forward to that, but rather we watched half a movie of Draco putting things through the vanishing cabinet, so the death eaters can get into Hogwarts only to do nothing more than stand and watch, they played no significant part, and was a little frustrating.

It was just the comination of so many of those little parts that took so much away from the movie as a whole.

Overall i just really don't think the movie was a fair enough portrayal of the book, it really didn't do it justice, the priorities were just all wrong. But still, despite all of that, there was still a lot of good in it, and i did enjoy it. If they cut out the pointless scenes (ie, any scene involving Ron and Lavender) and replace them with memories and developing pieces of information on the Horcrux's etc, it would of been great. It's made me a little concerned as to how they are going to go with the last book to be honest.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
I SAW IT TODAY
IT WAS AWESOME imo

they put a few more jokes in this time was pretty lol

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
i actually really liked it, and i usually hate the films because they're so far from the books. i suppose i haven't read the book recently enough, but i felt it stayed true to the book, with a few omissions. wonderful film, but it seemed to be a set up film for the next two movies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)